Fireworks Phobia Duration

For the first time ever in our neighborhood, some fool set off fireworks on Thanksgiving. These fireworks sounded more like cannon fire than Roman Candles. When the first volley went off I thought the North Koreans had finally done it. Of course, my poor Lola was traumatized.

For the next four days, she was "off". Skipped 3 meals and seemed depressed and withdrawn. Her light definitely dimmed. She's fine now, thank God.

My question is this; can the effects of a scary experience linger in our Grey's minds for several days? Don't dogs live in the moment?

Or might she have been feeling unwell for another reason unrelated to the fireworks?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Honestly, I don't think it's abnormal for the effects to last for a few days. After the fourth, one of my girls is always a little off. She doesn't want to go out after dark, she stops in an open doorway and scouts out the scene before leaving the house, and she sleeps in a little cave cubby that I make for her in my bedroom closet. Within a week or two, these behaviors dwindle and she goes back to normal. I think it's absolutely possible that Lola could have felt the effects of her reaction for a couple of days. I hope these same neighbors don't bust out more fireworks for other unusual holidays.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

A friend had a hound that would literally shake for a month and had to be medicated after hearing fireworks. Worst case ever. Any little noise after that would set him off. Couple of days is not unusual.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Dogs may live in the moment, but they do remember. Probably Lola was a little off for a few days after the fireworks, wondering if they were going to go off again :( I hope they don’t do it again soon, but plan ahead for New Year’s Eve. Morons who set off fireworks usually do it on that night.

Dogs may live in the moment, but they do remember. Probably Lola was a little off for a few days after the fireworks, wondering if they were going to go off again :( I hope they don’t do it again soon, but plan ahead for New Year’s Eve. Morons who set off fireworks usually do it on that night.

I detest fireworks! In my neighborhood the booming starts days before New Year's Eve and continues until the idjits run out, I guess. Lately, it seems, there need not be a reason or holiday to traumatize the neighborhood dogs.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I detest fireworks! In my neighborhood the booming starts days before New Year's Eve and continues until the idjits run out, I guess. Lately, it seems, there need not be a reason or holiday to traumatize the neighborhood dogs.

Thankfully the people on my street that “did” fireworks moved, don’t know about the new neighbors, but fingers are crossed. I wish the idiots would blow a few fingers off. I know that sounds harsh, but setting off fireworks at home is dangerous and stupid, I figure anyone who does that is a slow learner.

Funnily enough Rogue witnessed a firework show at a friend's house we were staying over at and was absolutely fine. (He stayed in house with the other dogs while the humans enjoyed the sight in the backyard)

It's deer hunting season in PA and while we were at the park last week day, someone was doing target practice near by. Rogue statued but I got him moving again with treats and praise. Didn't think anything of it. A few days later we went on a different walk and also heard gunshots in the distance. Rogue's whole demeanor changed. He started dragging behind me, wouldn't accept treats, and didn't want to smell or mark on anything. All I can think of is that it was a bit of PTSD from the first time he statued. Hunting season goes til Dec 9 so I'm hoping we'll get to work on it a bit. I'll just bring better treats.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Something like that is about fear, not memory. Fear causes the release of stress chemicals in the brain (like cortisol) that then stay at increased levels for a period of time. Typically that's a few days, but it can take a good week if the event was really stressful.

There's also the possibility of single event learning. It is possible for one event to be so scary that the dog is "permanently" traumatized. Doesn't sound like that happened here so in would just keep things calm and stick to your routine until she completely recovers.

I would also start planning for next time as there's likely to be one. For fireworks or other noise sensitivities we use both a white noise machine and classical music (Through A Dog's Ear is now available for free through iTunes & Amazon Prime), as well as neutriceuticals (Zylkene, L-Theanine, you could also try DAP or lavender spray). And hopefully this is a given, but do not take her outside while its happening. Let her hold it.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes it can take quite a while actually for some dogs to recover. When they become scared it is more than just an emotional event. It is also a physical event. The body releases many hormones/chemicals etc. in a giant dump and these remain in the blood for varying amounts of time-depending on the dog and how frightened the dog was etc. Nothing you can do but try to prevent any further fright while the body gets rid of the excess and gets normalized. Some dogs can do this faster than others and I have found certain treatments can expedite the recovery.