Dispensing Pills

There have been so many discussions about how to pill our hounds and I just wanted to share what is working really well with Bruno, who is on a significant cocktail for his osteosarcoma. Mooshies / mini-marshmallows! Just wrap one-two around the pill, offer a lead mooshie followed by the one with the pill and we're done. We've not yet had one fail.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Excellent! Plus they don't have to be refrigerated! That was always the hard part for me - he needed his pills in the middle of the night, but I didn't have a way to keep them in the bedroom beause all the "pill things" he liked needed to be refrigerated!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

With Chase on 8 prescriptions and Buttercup on 2, I had to find something foolproof and liverwurst has worked 100% for us.

Funny story; I went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and also picked up 6 rolls of liverwurst because we go through a lot here. The cashier asked me if liverwurst was good with turkey. Had to explain to him what it was really for. lol

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Mooshies - the other white meat. :bgeorge

Rocket loves those little Hawaiian Rolls. I could put anything in those and he would scarf it down. I had to use them to get liquid panacur in him once. I injected the roll with the dose of liquid, a dollop of squirty cheese on top, and down it went. He came to the kitchen want his "cheese sandwich" every day for two week after the initial 3 day dosage was done.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Excellent! Plus they don't have to be refrigerated! That was always the hard part for me - he needed his pills in the middle of the night, but I didn't have a way to keep them in the bedroom beause all the "pill things" he liked needed to be refrigerated!

Yes! I put Bruno's pills and the mooshies in a container on the nightstand and when the midnight alarm sounds I barely have to wake up to get them into him.

Thanks All for sharing what has worked for you, along with the amusing stories. Laughter definitely helps! :nod

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Don't use a stale Peep though--tried to give him his Prozac last nite in one, he started to chew and hit the capsule. PTUI!! Will try a softer one if I try that again. Good Old Pill Pockets for now. :)

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I wrap Paris' meds in a piece of satin ball. Works like a charm here! Maggie, on the other paw, refused anything that may have *ever* contained a pill and we finally had to do the old open and shove method. With 20 some pills a day, I felt really really bad about that. But, she would get her most favorite treat ever after pilling (and only after pilling), so she would happily trot to her favorite pill bed twice a day when it was time.

Keep on popping those pills, Bruno!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

for travelers who have hounds that like peanut butter (I have my first PB hater in the house now), they make "single serving cups" to take on a trip (its too much for 1 dog, but very portable).

Even Riley (mr sweet tooth) disliked marshmallows ... haven't had a hound yet that liked them (but boy I wish i did).

good luck to anyone who has hounds that regularly have to take multiple pills .. my heart goes out to you.