Allen's Nerve Sheath Tumor

Several weeks ago I noticed that 11 year old Allen's head had sunken in one area above his left eye.

22007666_1937422626582832_69780786699708

I have 2 favorite vets at different clinics, former partners and they are still friends.

Vet #1 had never seen anything like it. Even though it was unilateral and he had no trouble blinking, chewing or swallowing, we sent out a test for masticatory myositis ($195). It can back negative.

Vet#2 had never seen anything like this either, but he suspected a nerve sheath tumor. Allen is not a good candidate for an MRI or CT due to a history of hyperthermia (during a dental) and bleeding (during a microchip insertion), so he did a plain xray. Bingo! There was the tumor.

Blue arrow points to the tumor. Red arrow points to bony changes caused by the tumor.

22008449_1937990726526022_39767284921532

We consulted with Dr Couto who confirmed the diagnosis.

For anyone else facing this in the future, this is the protocol we are using:

1. Chlorambucil 2mg, the chemo med, given on Monday, Wednesday, Friday
2. Artemisinin 100mg, recommended supplement, given once a day 3-4 hours after a meal
3. Omeprazole 20mg, OTC med to help his tummy, once daily
4. Carprofen 50mg we were told to use an NSAID so we’re using what he was already on for arthritis, given twice a day

We are to retest his CBC, chem panel and UA in 6-8 weeks.

The Chlorambucil was ordered from Diamondback Drugs online per Dr Couto’s suggestion. Locally, even with a Good Rx coupon this would run $750-1000 at my local pharmacies. It will cost us only $56 from Diamondback Drugs.
This must be refrigerated.

The Artemisinin was ordered from Holley Pharmaceuticals, also at Dr Couto’s suggestion. Although Amazon had some a slightly lower price, we ordered from Holley so there would be better purity.

The size of the sunken area on Allen’s head has not increased further. If the time comes that he cannot tolerate the meds and adjustments don't help, then we will let him go.

Right now he remains a happy, hungry boy. Allen joined us in May after his mom went in a nursing home. We hope he's around for a long, long time.

Adding this side view of this head. You can't see the tumor but you can see the root canals done many years ago.

21992900_1937016033290158_26213372478112

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for putting this information together Ducky.

:wub: Allen! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Allen, we wish you all the best. You are in the best of hands. :clover

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Allen :kiss2 All our best to you, sweet boy. {{Ducky}}

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Holy cow-who did the first rad? Perhaps they should consider wearing gloves in the future-please tell me it wasnt you Ducky.

Pretty impressive root canal ;-)

Glad you have a diagnosis and can start treatment now.

I was exposed to enough radiation in my early years of working in it despite proper precautions. Saved a copy of my film badge report before retiring ;) Still in the safe range.

Not sure who's hand that was. The tech that brought him back to the room was at least wearing a lead apron and neck collar.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hope Allen does well on his meds for a long time.

Aside: It's hard to believe the difference in prices for Chlorambucil. Sheesh.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hope all goes well for Allen

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm just curious if they mentioned to always separate the Chlorambucil and the NSAID by at least 8 to 12 hours ?

No, but I will call Diamondback Pharmacy and ask.

How is sweet Allen doing?

Friday starts his first day on the chemo pill. He'll get it on Mon, Wed, and Fri.

tiny hada siggy.png

No, but I will call Diamondback Pharmacy and ask.

Friday starts his first day on the chemo pill. He'll get it on Mon, Wed, and Fri.

Adam is going on the Chlorambusil along with the Deramaxx and the oncologist told me to give one in AM and one in PM because it can cause stomach upset - however, you're also giving the Omeprazole so, maybe not necessary in your case.