How To Take Bp?

At Johnny's last checkup, his blood pressure was elevated and the vet wants to monitor it. However, I believe it was up partially due to the "white coat effect" and would like to try to take it at home. How does one do this--what's the technique? Can a human monitor be used? Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I doubt you could get the "cuff" small enough for a dog leg.

I know my vet charges a ridiculous amount for just taking their B.P. $35 for my cat, I think, and it took seconds and didn't use up anything--I was livid! I said, "Surely that machine is paid for by now?" and she just looked at me like I was nuts!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Like Susan said, i don’t think you could get the cuff small enough, but you can buy an animal/ canine monitor, they seem to run about $50, so you’d have to figure if the cost was worth it if it’s just once or twice. I didn’t look for children’s monitors, but I know they make them, cuff would probably be small enough, but no idea of the cost. A decent human (adult) home monitor runs about $50.

I considered a child BP unit a few years ago but it was too costly. IIFC, my vet said their machine cost a ton of money.

Is Johnny chill enough in your car? If the vet's BP machine was portable perhaps they could test him in your car. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

He is, but of course once we get there, he knows and some yo-yo is always running some kind of machinery all the time in our town!

I'll look into the animal ones, since this is something the vet want to monitor, it wouldn't be a one time reading. My plan is to take and record daily readings, preferably in the evenings when we're just hanging out.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I did it all the time with Pearl. You need an infant cuff. At the base of the tail.

They use something to magnify the sound because it's not easy to hear the sound of the blood going through the artery. However I found the needle starts to bounce at that moment. While not that accurate it was close enough to know when Pearl's BP was up.

Veterinary bp monitors are crazy expensive and taking a pet bp is often a pita and time consuming therefore driving the set charge. . Most of the time two technicians are needed. Try getting a bp on a fractious cat-crazy. There are various bp machines that can be used-most using a NI bp machine. Those are usually a Doppler. Another machine is called a PetMap-those are pretty easy to use. If your vet has a PetMap you might ask if you can sign it out of the clinic so you may use it on your pet in a home environment.