Neuro Symptoms/thyroid

I'm chiming in since this is basically what I have been dealing with Felix. His history- healthy until Anaplasmosis was diagnosed last March. He has gone thru 2 rounds of antibiotics, since the middle of march. 4 or 5 weeks ago i brought him his for a check up since he was off- stiff, sore, spaced out, barking at night, pacing. My first knee jerk reaction was the anaplasmosis or dementia. He was 10 in march.

so, he did run a positive for anaplasmosis, instead of doxy this time and for the life of me, i can't remember the exact name! it started w/ ch and was not to be handled by women of child bearing age/children but has excellent properties to kill off the anaplasmosis with out all of the side effects of doxy and is a second line of defense when doxy doesn't work. i'll figure out the name and post it.

so, we have lethargy, spacey- not knowing how to get out of the house, no recall- (felix ALWAYS had a great recall) , in- appetite(which just strangely changed), limps(he is arthritic and on Metacam daily).

this is in the same line as this post:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/320736-has-your-hypothyroid-hound-had-neuro-symptoms/?hl=thyroid&do=findComment&comment=6009150

so a full thyroid panel was run(took us to the bank) BY ANTECH

TEST RESULT

T4 0.7

FREE T4 8

TSH 1.05

THYROGLOBUNIN ANTUTOANTIBODIES 7

CAN ANY OF YOU WHO UNDERSTAND THIS PLEASE TRANSLATE ? my vet will contact dr. couto,as per my request. i gave her the web site and portal info. i am going to Dewey next week and will bring a copy along to share w/ the vets from NGAP who are at the east coast events that we sell at. they did look at his last bloodwork up and comment. Unfortunately for me, my GH vet is no longer working! All of the associates that i have dealt with have retired!! The vet I am working with does have quite a few other GH clients and seems very knowledgeable re: meds and very thorough.

her plan of action is :

2 months of .1mg solixcan, 2xs daily, then retest

consider ACTH swim test for atypical Addison's disease or pursue a trial with Senelife.

also we have started to give him tramadol at night. She felt that partial complaints on Felix's half could be due to pain. The tramadol and felix are NOT a good combination. But what I don't like is his general deterioration of muscle, posture, sound of bark/voice(he is very verbal- that she attributed to thyroid), decline.

there was a full panel CBC run, the following had remarks- out of normal range:

urea nitrogen- 34,

creatine 2.3, Platelet count- 164,

Eosinophils 1248.

everything else came back in the "normal range"

thanks in advance

andrea

Would be helpful to post the reference ranges of the thyroid test.

Did your vet run a anaplasmosis pcr panel or just place your dog on antibiotics? (Btw the ab you where thinking of of chloramphenicol)

If you ask the folks at NGAP no matter what the bloods show they will tell you to start the soloxine (bad idea imo)

Finally, have you considered an mri? (Brain)

Edited by tbhounds

Thanks for the prompt reply. When I return home I'll post the comparative #s. As to a MRI we do not have insurance. So, the answer is no. I did mention brain tumor, the Gh vet who is retired mentioned that back in April. Felix has been winky in his endocrine functions for ever. He has shown signs of diabetes incipidus that would come and go. So, drinking, out of place vocalizations ,behavior have been on and off. I also wonder about the atypical Addison. I had a dog with Addison disease and I am not seeing symptoms (yet).

And yes, that's the antibiotic

Agree with tbhounds. Hope it helps him!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you're going to see a change it should be within 1-2 weeks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

that's what i thought, but felix seems to respond to the smallest dosages of drugs. 25mg of tramadol was more than enough. 50mg, he weighs 75# he was a zombie and lost all coordination. i will watch...i too agree with actions. but he's been quirky, sometimes acts and feels normal, sometimes a spaced out door stop. he was in and out of symptoms of diabetes incipidus. the 2 dosages of vasopressin tannet seemed to knock it out of his system for quite a while. he reminds me of my old peugeot 504 wagon, it often needed to have some wires crossed to start and often didn't.

Just for future reference if GTers search for thyroid info:

Andrea:

-how much does Felix weigh and what dose of the thyroid med?

Tracy:

-do Soloxican, Soloxine, or other thyroid meds work the same? Way back when I'd used Soloxine for one of my hounds there was some debate whether brand name or generic worked better.

-prior to follow up testing, how long should a dog be off the thyroid med?

-is it true that greyhounds (in my case it was an italian greyhound) require a lesser dose than other breeds?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks into meds and Felix carried an empty bottle of diet coke home, he hasn't recycled in quite a while. His walks are not exhausting him as much and the senseless complaining is reduced. He's just routinely asking for his nightly chewy!!! I'm pleased, let's see what happens at the 6 week mark.🤓

wonderful!!!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 2 weeks later...

Felix is back to carrying sticks on walks!!! THAT'S FELIX, he stopped around 6-9 months ago.Just a question for the test savvy people, when we retest in November which T panel test can be omitted? I hate to sound cheap but the last comprehensive panel was a whopping $270!!! A friend who is a vet(but not practicing around here) thought T4 and call it a day.22539897_1649014628451180_82657969509664

Edited by cleptogrey