Antibiotics - With Or Without Food?

Tessa is spending the week with me and is doing pretty well overall, but this morning she started desperately trying to eat grass as soon as we got outside. Lots of tummy gurgles, no interest in food (even canned food or yogurt). I'm making some rice for her but I'm skeptical as to whether or not she'll actually eat it. Anyway, she's on baytril and doxy and I don't want her to miss a dose, but I also don't want her to take it on an empty stomach. I've poked a flagyl down her (it's part of her cocktail) and scratched novox off her list (she doesn't act as though she's in any pain and if she starts, I'll add it back in).

Should I just poke the doxy and baytril and hope she eats later? Or should I give her a little time and maybe she'll eat and I can poke the pills?

It's almost like I've never had a finicky dog before :lol

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

i personally would make sure she ate something, toast, bagels, pasta, yams, white potato,grahm crackers or plain cookies, pound cake, saltines, sautéed some ground meat and add broth and top small amounts on rice and try to entice her. the antibiotics do make their tummy feel awful. a week or so of non-dog food won't kill her and once her gut is feeling better she will resume eating. it may seem like a royal pain but they need something int heir guts when dosed w/ those meds.

don't expect her to eat a full cup of what ever, but something...small amounts thru out the day.

I think 1 per day is the dose, it's what I've used in the past. Maybe some mashed potatoes, plain?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I keep some canned chicken on hand for this exact thing. Rocket gets gurgles and will not want to eat. Evanger's Canned Organic Chicken (it's dog food) gets him to eat, and he will go ahead and eat his regular meal at the next feeding. Most of the better pet stores seem to carry Evangers and sell individual cans. I always have a case on hand since the gurgles tend to happen a lot.

The nice thing is that there is nothing in this except chicken. I use it in place of cooking a chicken for a bland diet when needed.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Try canned tripe if you can get it (hold your nose), sardines or mackerel, or canned cat food, all are pretty stinky and that often helps stimulate their appetite. I agree, giving antibiotics on an empty stomach will likely just make things worse. Or Ensure (plain vanilla). It is disgusting, but often works :) My old girl liked vanilla Ensure and canned tuna mixed together :puke

With food. I give Peggy 75mg of Zantac (Ranitidine) if she needs it. But I wouldn't give all the drugs in one go and I'd actively encourage drinking some water after taking the tablets. You certainly don't want an antibiotic tablet getting 'stuck' in one place.

Your vet would have told you if any of the drugs were incompatible.

She got her breakfast and pills down (finally) and then zonked out in her crate for a good two hours. Just had some squirty poo, but with her drug cocktail, I'm not too surprised. I've been updating PRH folks on her output regularly, and I laugh every time I make a report because who but greyhound people find output reports important? :hehe

I keep some canned chicken on hand for this exact thing. Rocket gets gurgles and will not want to eat. Evanger's Canned Organic Chicken (it's dog food) gets him to eat, and he will go ahead and eat his regular meal at the next feeding. Most of the better pet stores seem to carry Evangers and sell individual cans. I always have a case on hand since the gurgles tend to happen a lot.

The nice thing is that there is nothing in this except chicken. I use it in place of cooking a chicken for a bland diet when needed.

This is an awesome idea - thank you! I'm not opposed to cooking chicken when needed (goodness knows I did it for Daisy on a weekly basis) but that would require I have chicken on hand at all times, which almost never happens (not really a fan myself, so I don't buy it unless I'm shopping for a dog).

Try canned tripe if you can get it (hold your nose), sardines or mackerel, or canned cat food, all are pretty stinky and that often helps stimulate their appetite. I agree, giving antibiotics on an empty stomach will likely just make things worse. Or Ensure (plain vanilla). It is disgusting, but often works :) My old girl liked vanilla Ensure and canned tuna mixed together :puke

I may try the Ensure. I had some on hand for Pyp and Daisy (my nursing home :rolleyes:) but donated it to the humane society after they passed. Wish I'd kept it! I was optimistic that my days of caring for sick pets was behind me, at least for a while. Nope :lol Alas, it seems to be my calling.

With food. I give Peggy 75mg of Zantac (Ranitidine) if she needs it. But I wouldn't give all the drugs in one go and I'd actively encourage drinking some water after taking the tablets. You certainly don't want an antibiotic tablet getting 'stuck' in one place.

Your vet would have told you if any of the drugs were incompatible.

I wasn't there for the vet appt - she was staying at PRH when she got sick (still not sure what caused it, sent off a liver biopsy but haven't gotten the results). I'm just giving her what the vet gave them to give her. I gave her some more chicken after her drugs this morning so that would force them down. She's finicky about water intake (she's kind of a nervous girl and doesn't like to drink if you're watching :rolleyes:).

I sell things on Etsy!

If you can get her eating regularly you might try adding some probiotic powder while she is on the ABs. Rx Vitamins for pets probiotic powder is a good and reasonably priced brand (Amazon carries it). I gave it to Val while she was on doxy, seemed to help.

If you can get her eating regularly you might try adding some probiotic powder while she is on the ABs. Rx Vitamins for pets probiotic powder is a good and reasonably priced brand (Amazon carries it). I gave it to Val while she was on doxy, seemed to help.

Hadn't thought of that! Might give it a try.

She ate her lunch voraciously, then puppy-dog-eyed me for more chicken (which she received, because I'm a sucker). Poor girl is nervous in her new environment, and I'm sure not feeling well isn't helping. She's been happy to spend some time out with me, and her pacing has slowed, thankfully (the first couple of days, she was go-go-go constantly and wouldn't settle at all). She still requests crate time after about 15 minutes of pets and out time, but we're getting there!

I sell things on Etsy!

Pepcid -- 10-20mg once or twice a day. What we do is usually 10mg, wait 30-40 minutes, feed a meal or snack, then give pills. Glad she is eating for you now :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My theory is that if a dog is feeling poorly enough not to eat, the antibiotics just might turn things around, so I would be inclined to give them regardless. Years ago my mutt dog Kramer had a bone infection and he was on some serious ABX for months. Fortunately they didn't seem to bother him, but it was towards the life or death end of things when the infection finally flared up (he had a TPLO which did not heal normally, and despite having a top notch board certified orthopedic surgeon, he somehow failed to figure out that the reason my dog wasn't healing wasn't because, as he said, "He's a wimp with an overdeveloped pain response" but that his bone had a festering infection. He spiked a horrible fever nearly a full year after the surgery, and I took him to a different vet who immediately hospitalized him and put him on IV antibiotics, to be followed later with more surgery. A nightmare, to be sure.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My theory is that if a dog is feeling poorly enough not to eat, the antibiotics just might turn things around, so I would be inclined to give them regardless. Years ago my mutt dog Kramer had a bone infection and he was on some serious ABX for months. Fortunately they didn't seem to bother him, but it was towards the life or death end of things when the infection finally flared up (he had a TPLO which did not heal normally, and despite having a top notch board certified orthopedic surgeon, he somehow failed to figure out that the reason my dog wasn't healing wasn't because, as he said, "He's a wimp with an overdeveloped pain response" but that his bone had a festering infection. He spiked a horrible fever nearly a full year after the surgery, and I took him to a different vet who immediately hospitalized him and put him on IV antibiotics, to be followed later with more surgery. A nightmare, to be sure.

Yikes! That first vet doesn't sound like a very good vet! Glad you found a good one.

I wasn't about to let her skip a dose, so I was prepared to just poke them if she absolutely wouldn't eat. Thankfully the chicken got her going :lol I think the pepcid helped too.

Ate fine this morning (popped a pepcid before our stroll, ate after about half an hour), took her pills no problem.

I sell things on Etsy!