Possible Kidney Disease

Guest lunasmom

Guest lunasmom

Hi everyone, I haven't been on greytalk in a long time because life got busy and everything was going great, but I just got a call from my vet that Luna's well visit labwork came back with some elevated values that suggest kidney disease. At this point I don't know the actual numbers and we have a follow up visit on Sunday, but I want to show up prepared for the visit and was hoping some of you may have some experience with this and be able to offer some guidance.

I've been doing some research on it, and found some articles about the difference in greyhound lab values, so I'm hoping my vet simply forgot to account for her breed but I want to be prepared if that's not the case as well.

Thanks in advance. Also if it makes any difference, Luna is currently 9.5 years old and retired from racing at 5.5 and has been acting like her normal self. Her weight was a little lower than usual though, she was 55lbs but is normally around 60lbs.

Standing by for this topic. Have a 5yo just adopted off Craig's List! Blood work shows a bit high on Creatine 1.7, NA/K ratio High at 39, SDMA High at 16. Vet suggests beginnings of Kidney disease and wants to start prescription kibble and recheck in 6 months.

post-10392-0-10808900-1498784046_thumb.jpg

The link below will take you to The Greyhound Health Initiative resource page where, if you scroll down, you will find many links to articles that your vet may appreciate. There are also several articles by Dr. William Feeman or Dr Stack online that give overviews of Greyhound Kidney function numbers. They are easy to find..

https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/resources/

One of Dr. Feemans articles

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/sites/default/files/import/files/greyhound_pdfs/faq/KidneyFailure.pdf

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

You can ask your vet to take a pee sample. When the liver is danaged there will most likely be protein in the urine.

I am at this point with my boy Colin. A special kidney diet will reduce the protein. But when the body needs the protein it will take it from the muscles and it will again be filtrated through the kidneys. Damaging them further and loosing muscle mass and weight.

Colín is 12, 13 on Tuesday, and his vet and I decided to let him eat his normal diet and only give him meds to help with his kidney functions.

Hoping all goes well for your pup.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Hope it all goes well. I've lost 3 to that nasty disease over the years. Two quite quickly and the other 18 months post-dx.

Blood tests just after they exercized will give inconistent readings too.

Two useful resources for you:

This one offers a lot of support, but you need a recent set of lab work to apply to join their closed list.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/K9KIDNEYS/info

This is a good general one:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html

If you get a confirmed diagnosis, do feel free to email myself and others, as it really can help to know that you treat the individual dog and not the numbers.

Edited by JohnF

Sigh. I was given this news about a Brandi this week also. She's just seven, but has been dodgy in terms of utis and bladder stuff her whole life.

We've been told to sit tight for now. A kidney diet was suggested but she doesn't do well in kibble. She's on a renal supplement now which is helping and we're trying tomincrease her weight a little, because it has dropped off. But we know there is little we can do to halt things, though we may be able to slow it.

Ditto,pH was off(too acidic),bun,crit.were really off. My vet went to a conference and met up with the nutritionist at the conference.. She recommended lowering the protein level by adding in a lower protein food and carbs. The potatoes helped resolve the pH issue,the mix also brought #s to a satisfactory level I will retest every 3 months. There was a nice improvement with in a month.I am not doing a kidney RX diet since there are ways around donations to Hills. I personally can not nor will not purchase RX diets. I am using hills longevity a and Purina proplan focus and potatoes. Go,know?

Edited by cleptogrey

And look out for phosphorus. These levels have to be low. I have a list for feeding raw if someone is interested.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest lunasmom

Thanks for all the tips so far. We just got back from our follow up visit and it does look like there might be something going on with her. She has elevated creatinine and sdma levels, slightly high Blood pressure and protein in her urine. I got a copy of the results and will post then later. They are also doing additional kidney panel blood work on her. So I should get the results later this week on that.

Guest lunasmom

Here are the results that seem relevant to kidney function. If I missed one let me know and I'll post it. They ran a young pre-anesthetic panel, a CBC comprehensive panel and a uranalysis so far.

BUN - 25 (normal)

Creatinine - 2.0 mg/dL (high)

SDMA - 16 ug/dL (high)

Urine Specific Gravity - 1.034

Urine Protein - 3+

Here are the results that seem relevant to kidney function. If I missed one let me know and I'll post it. They ran a young pre-anesthetic panel, a CBC comprehensive panel and a uranalysis so far.

BUN - 25 (normal)

Creatinine - 2.0 mg/dL (high)

SDMA - 16 ug/dL (high)

Urine Specific Gravity - 1.034

Urine Protein - 3+

The renal values appear normal for a gh except the urine protein. First you must rule out an infection and if that is clear you need to run a UPC (urine protein/creatinine ratio. That test will require a few tablespoons of voided urine clear of infection. The test should be run 2-3 times to verify the results.

I had a vet try and tell me George had "kidney problems." I paid for test after test. Finally I emailed his lab work to Dr. Couto who wrote back "results appear to be from a healthy greyhound. Please stop testing this dog for kidney disease." And that was the end of that!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest lunasmom

The results from the kidney panel came back and the vet said Luna's creatinine was a little higher, the sdma was still elevated, but her urine protein dropped to a 1. So basically the vet says she is in the early stages of kidney disease but doesn't recommend starting any medications yet. At this point she just wants us to switch from adult formula kibble to the mature formula, add an omega3 supplement and retest in a few months.

Are they *sure* she doesn't have a UTI?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lunasmom

Honestly I don't know how sure they are, but they told me she didn't. Wouldn't she have other symptoms if it were a UTI? She's not going outside any more than usual...

As long as they tested :) . Sometimes they don't have much in the way of noticeable symptoms.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lunasmom

DO your research. Inform yourself. Don't just rely on what the vet tells you. If you catch an issue early, there are step that can be taken.

Yes, I agree 100%! That's what I'm trying to do :) . I have copies of the lab results from the first set of tests (from her annual check up) and have been doing lots of reading up on what the values mean, on greyhound blood work idiosyncrasies, and on kidney disease in greyhounds. I haven't had a chance to pick up the results from the additional testing yet as I work full time and have a 4 month old, so for that one I'm going off what the vet told me over the phone for now.

The vet thinks she is in early kidney disease but doesn't think she needs any medication at this time and recommended that we switch her kibble from the "adult" formula to the "mature" formula as well as giving her omega3 pills.

Based on my research and the lab results I do have, I'm not convinced that she really does have kidney disease but I also see the recommendation of switching to "mature" kibble and giving her an omega3 supplement as something that won't hurt her and might help her. I plan to start the omega3 now and start transitioning her kibble when we get closer to the end of the bag.

The most concerning thing in my mind is the proteinuria. The fact that it dropped from 3 to 1 between the two tests is good, but it should be 0 so I'm hoping when I get the printout of the second set of testing I might get a better idea about possible causes. I will also check the test results to see if anything indicates she might have a UTI (I haven't specifically looked it up yet, but based on the uranalysis and my own understanding I don't think she does).

Guest lunasmom

Still need to run a upc ;-)

Thanks, when I pick up the second set of test results I'll see if that was included or not... or I'll just call the vet and ask them if they ran it...

Edited by lunasmom