Howling In Crate All Night Long

Guest PackMomma

Guest PackMomma

We adopted our new grey Willow on Saturday so today was her third full day with us. Last night she howled a very mournful cry intermittently throughout the night. Is it too soon to just skip the night rating and let her sleep in a room with a human? Is that setting her up for separation anxiety? We have two small dogs and two cats so I will still crate her for a while when we leave just to be safe although there has been zero issue with her and the other animals since she came home.

I never crated any of mine either; they all slept in my room from day one.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I never crated and let my boys sleep in the same room with me since day 1. So I can react immediately if something happens.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Let her sleep in your room. Far from creating separation anxiety, it will encourage her to bond with you and so make future training easier. But do work on leaving on her own at other times - you will find a host of threads on here if you search 'alone training,' really it's all about building up the time she's left incrementally, and making it a positive experience. For my Ken and Doc before him that was all about giving them a special food treat as I went out!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Over the years I have crated all my greyhounds at bedtime when they first came into the house. I've set up the crate in the bedroom so he/she would be near me. The length of time each was crated really depended on the dog and how they did in it. Several of my greyhounds absolutely loved their crate, but I've had one or two that did not like it at all. In those cases, I tried leaving them loose but in my bedroom. For one, it worked fine. For the other it didn't - so for him I set up an x-pen near the bed for a short time and that worked for him. It was then only a very short time (a week or two) before I took down the x-pen and let him be loose. He needed that amount of time with some kind of "framework" to get used to being in my home and my routine, and to be totally housebroken.

Guest PackMomma

Let her sleep in my room last night she slept all night didn't move at all and woke up this morning to go outside like a champ! She does not like the crate thinking to get her a baby gate to put up in the "dog room" before long so we can just ditch the crate all together. She is not 100% on her toileting skills yet. Hopefully soon though she will be.

Let her sleep in my room last night she slept all night didn't move at all and woke up this morning to go outside like a champ! She does not like the crate thinking to get her a baby gate to put up in the "dog room" before long so we can just ditch the crate all together. She is not 100% on her toileting skills yet. Hopefully soon though she will be.

Excellent ideas..

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I have let all of my hounds sleep in either my bed or bedroom from day 1 and I have never had one develop SA-and I have had a lot of hounds. My working dog I attempted to crate at night in the living room when I got her and after 2 nights of a whilrling dervish keeping me awake I moved her into her crate in my bedroom(she was way to "wild and strong" to be left free). She immeditaely became silent and sleep and rest were resumed for all. Now of course she sleeps in bed with me. But I would encourage you to let her in your bedroom so she can sleep with her new pack-you!

It also sounds like she has been in a crate in another room--- she really wants to be with her new pack.... so she might even like her crate, but it needs to be in the room with you. (but sounds like she will be a hound who doe snot need one at all)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Our dogs sleep, crated, in our bedroom. Same place they are crated when we go out. No problems at all.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Our dogs sleep, crated, in our bedroom. Same place they are crated when we go out. No problems at all.

The difference being that you have TWO hounds.

Willow is alone and only been with her new family for a few days.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest PackMomma

Yes that is correct we have a "dog room" that houses all of their crates where they are all crated when we go out, however, at night the other two dogs sleep with my son and Willow was alone, I had planned to crate her till she was reliably house trained and then allow her to pick who she wanted to sleep with either my room or one of my daughter's but she had other plans and has slept in my room beside my bed with no issues for the past two nights.

."......and has slept in my room beside my bed with no issues for the past two nights."

Told ya! Thats the same kind of experiences I've had. It means a lot to them to be able to sleep with their pack.

I'm pro-crating and I think it's fine to allow them to sleep in the room with you from day 1. Everyone sleeps better :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire