Walks And Prey Drive

Hi there

Forgive me if these questions are all blindingly obvious. We researched for a long time and decided a rescue retired grey was right for our family (2 small children). We picked up our new family member three days ago and she has done amazingly. We've had no indoor accidents, no whining, she seems relaxed - certainly much more than the first day, she's engaged and engaging, affectionate and tolerant with the children and very calm in the house, sleeps well in her crate and takes herself off there to sleep.

Walks are the only things that are not in the slightest relaxing. She is on high alert all the time, particularly if she sees another dog. She's absolutely not aggressive at all when she meets them and is happy to sniff and move on unless they are small - and then she looks like she wants to chase. My question is, the more of these small dogs she sees, will she desensitize to them or not? We haven't let her off the lead yet so I have no idea how her recall is. She is nearly 3, raced for a year (I think only about 10 races and didn't do terribly well - I guess why she was retired relatively early). I would appreciate any advice on how to let her off and how to desensitize her a bit to "prey". She is obviously still muzzled when we are out.

She is totally new to a life so different from anything she ever knew. Of course, she is on high alert and stressed. Imagine someone would grab you, dump you into the malaysian jungle and tell you... this is your new home. You will be fine. Would you be super relaxed and cool? I guess not - nobody would.

She needs time and patience. Her behaviour will change over time. Keep her on lead outsides all the time. Not only because she would run off but it is her lifeline, her connection to you in this new world. It gives her security. She needs it.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

That's not prey drive.

That's normal canine behavior. She's not used to seeing dogs that are not greyhounds. She's curious.

Prey drive is the desire to hunt and kill PREY. Rabbits, squirrels, cats, and yes, in some dogs, smaller dogs.

Prey drive has nothing to do with racing ability or skill and desire. Prey drive is inborn, and a dog with a strong prey drive will ALWAYS have a strong prey drive.

A dog with a strong prey drive will literally vibrate when seeing something they perceive as game (prey).

I won't go into why your dog should remain on leash as I suspect you live in the UK where letting greyhounds run loose is common. All I can say to that is she likely has ZERO recall unless you've been teaching her.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

All good advice. I will just add in again - time and patience. Three days is *nothing* when you're making such a big life change. The dog you have right now will not be the dog you have in a month, or 6 months or a year. Be patient and kind with her and she will reward you by being the best dog ever!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Did your group mention whether she is OK with small animals? If the group didn't tell you how she is with small dogs, just watch her when she meets a small dog or sees a small critter on walks. Just be careful if a small off-leash dog or one on a flexi-lead runs up to her If a small dog runs up to Joy, I tell them she's not good with small dogs. Sometimes the person even pays attention to me.

When she sees other dogs, does she pull? If so, you might want to consider a "no-pull" harness.

Edited by brindlehound

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

unless they are small - and then she looks like she wants to chase. My question is, the more of these small dogs she sees, will she desensitize to them or not?

She's so new to you, it's impossible to predict. My Nutmeg was the same at the beginning -- she behaved, but there was something about her body language that said she was a little too interested in small dogs we met on walks. She lived with a cat just fine, but that was indoors. It did get better, especially after our first visit with family who had very bossy dachshunds. :) I have always kept my greys muzzled when off leash indoors with little dogs, just in case.

One thing you might try in desensitization is just that -- have your girl get to know a small dog well while keeping her muzzled for safety. Another idea is when you are on walks and meet up with various small dogs with agreeable owners, have one person in your family keep your dog under control with the leash while other family members pet the little dog, showing your girl that we're all friends here, nice and easy and non-tense. You do not want the situation of a friend of mine who was out on a leashed walk on day 2 with a grey who had been tested as cat-tolerant at the adoption kennel, only to see her snatch up a leashed bichon frise they met up with. The bichon was badly hurt, but survived.

And congratulations on your new family member! She sounds lovely.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Chancey would leap nearly six feet in the air, screaming like a banshee when we saw other dogs on our walks.it has taken three years for her to calm down ( I read that it could take two years for a bitch to calm down) enough for me to take her out without too much worry, although she can still 'erupt' if she sees a dog running. I keep a muzzle on her when I expect there to be other dogs ( or cats)around for her safety. The law here in U.K. states that if somebody "believes your dog to be dangerous" they can report it, even if it hasn't touched another animal or person. All the while Chancey wears her muzzle she cannot be accused of biting another dog.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Find someone with a confident small dog who will walk with you. Does your dog settle into a normal routine of taking turns sniffing, marking, etc. with the small dog? Or does she spend the entire time staring or lunging at the small dog? You get the answer your looking for pretty quick.

Thanks so much for all your replies. She's doing better and better bless her. Is far less "pully" now when she sees little dogs - has even managed to go past some squirrels and a cat without any major disturbances although obviously was very alert but didn't pull my arm off. She's been good whilst sniffing small dogs so, so far, so good. I'm of course keeping her muzzled for the time being. She just very obviously wants to go and play with bigger dogs. I feel mean not letting her off but I fear we'd never see her again!