Head/ears Balding Grey

locket

So we have their annual vet visit in January, but until then, I would like to have your input. He saw the vet in August and in September for routine controls and a minor surgery of a mast.

We got Charlie in August and has been on the same food from September onward. We feed Fromm Classic and Gold (green bag). In the last month or so, he started balding in FRONT of his ears and more recently on top on his ears, always the outer ear. There does not seem to be any black deposit inside his ears, but we are washing them just in case there might be something.

Where do I start? I started cleaning the outer ears once per day with an acne solution, then putting bag balm on them, in case it is the cold weather, but I have no idea what it might be. The skin is moist when touched, not dry, no dandruffs (poor quality photo with flash)

He doesn't scratch, is not sensitive to being handled around or in the ears. I'm hesitant to call that allergies but...Ideas would be appreciated :)

15497545_10155670115454478_1703750081_n.

<-Toward eye Toward ear->

You can see the thining of the fur

Thanks

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Greyhounds do tend to get bald spots. My Wendy had bald thighs and neck when we got her 9 years ago with seemingly no cause. With her vet's approval, we started giving her 5 mg of Melatonin once a day. Her fur grew back and became bunny-soft, shiny and thick. She's 11 years old now and continues on the Melatonin with no ill effects. Of course, this is for esthetics only, not for health concerns.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

If it isn't red, itchy, painful, etc., I'd just leave it be. That is one of the spots where the hair can get thin when they shed or change from one season to the next.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I also had good luck with giving Carl melatonin, but 3 mg per day. His thighs filled in and his bald neck became a thick glossy pelt. His littermate did not have such dramatic results.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Bag balm and acne cleaner? The salicylic acid is really strong,ears are cartilage and fur is always thin. Bag balm is a petroleum based ointment,you are drying and greasing.....personally I don'tIke bag balm. Keep clean,if your pup gets dirt in his ears water and cotton balls. Do show your vet. Even with shampoos it's oatmeal & aloe and a moisture conditioner.

There is nothing to worry about with greyhound naked-ness. ;) I give Danny 10 mg. a day of melatonin and has ass hair started growing. It does take several months to happen. Danny has no issues with the dosage.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****