Amanda And Ollie

Guest acarso08

Guest acarso08

Hi! Ollie (4 year old, fawn, AKA Aerial Red Baron) just came home with me yesterday afternoon and I think he's settling in great. He cried on and off through the night in his kennel (about 10 feet from my bed, in the same room). IT WAS SO HARD TO NOT LET HIM OUT! But I ignored him and eventually we both slept.

unnamed-1_zpsnnaz3zlq.jpg

Can anyone speak to letting their greyhounds sleep on a doggy-bed through the night and just be crated during the day? I'm not sure how many nights to make him stay in there before letting him snooze on my floor through the evening.

unnamed_zpsvchx6jls.jpg

Ollie has a tail missing a lot of fur-I haven't seen any photos like it on the forum any time i've searched. Anyone seen it like this before?

unnamed-2_zpsr56nbali.jpg

Thanks for any info! You guys are filled with great info-although if I read too much I get freaked out! :riphair

Edited by acarso08

My Phoenix had a tail like that and the vet wasn't concerned at all.

I don't crate my guys at all, but lots of people do.

Congratulations! Ollie is very handsome.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My dogs sleep in their crates in our room, with us, every night. They sleep right next to each other and they are fine. My girl gets up very early, and this way, I can tell her to go back to sleep and not have to get up until 7ish. They are also crated when we leave the house.

I can't really tell, but it looks like each spot in where the vertebrae is. Is that so? Then it might be where he wagged his tail in the kennel and might have rubbed on the vertebrae. It will probably grow in.

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest acarso08

My Phoenix had a tail like that and the vet wasn't concerned at all.

I don't crate my guys at all, but lots of people do.

Congratulations! Ollie is very handsome.

Good to know about the tail! I am hoping Ollie can eventually be totally crate free! I didn't know if I should ease into it or just try that from day one. I'll definitely crate him before work tomorrow just so he doesn't get into anything but anytime I've left the house for even an hour or two, I come back and he's just on the sofa snoozing.

I can't really tell, but it looks like each spot in where the vertebrae is. Is that so? Then it might be where he wagged his tail in the kennel and might have rubbed on the vertebrae. It will probably grow in.

YEP! ITs just on the vertebrae. He wags like crazy all day long! That must be what happened.

Guest Scouts_mom

Why are you crating? Is he destructive? Do you have a cat to protect? If it is just because you were told that was the way to go, I would seriously reconsider it. Many dogs don't like their crates. At night he can sleep on a dogbed in your bedroom. Close the door so he doesn't wander. During the day, I would recommend just baby-gating him in a room that has been dog proofed--I use my kitchen. (do not lock them in a room with a closed door--they want to be able to see out.) I've had 7 greyhounds and I only tried to crate the first one. She showed me quickly that she did not like the crate and was a perfect angel without it.

I've seen a lot of tails like that. It is on the vertebrae bumps and is from having thin hair worn off (maybe the back of the kennel or who knows). His coat will improve with time and good food and supplements and the bare spots will disappear.

He is a handsome boy!

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest acarso08

Thanks for your help everyone. Ollie is zonked out asleep on his bed in my room thanks to the helpful post. Crate is wide open if he needs it.

I was only crating at night because I was told to. No cats and the most destructive thing he's done is pulled at a roll of paper towel. Can't think of anything he can get into so hopefully we both sleep better tonight.

Appreciate the responses! -Amanda

What a handsome boy you have. I never understood the crate if your dog isn't destructive or you have small animals to protect. We don't crate big dogs around here.... maybe because everything is a bit smaller, especially the rooms.

We just put everything out of reach. Colin and Andy never got into to much trouble, a lost cheesecake and some waffles...

...but Paddy - let's just say he lived up to his name. Who needs stores in front of the windows, anyway? 😉

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

:wave Hello and welcome to GT!

Different adoption groups recommend different things, ours always recommended crating. It depends on the dog. When we adopted our first greyhound seven years ago, we followed the crate instructions to the letter and our Breeze was just fine with it. She told us when she didn't want the crate anymore, two years later! With Beka, we only used the crate for a short time because she was having NONE of it! We adopted Ivy last June and she LOVES her crate. The first night she cried and cried, she was in her crate downstairs by herself. Once we brought the crate up to our bedroom, she was fine. She still loves her crate and chooses to sleep in there at night, every night!

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

i would crate only over night to assist in potty training. If he knows to hold it, and most of them do, i wouldn't bother with the crate. Same thing when leaving for work. If he likes the crate, and wants to be in it, feel free to use it. But if he doesn't need it, and he doesn't have Separation Anxiety, where he destroys things in the house, don't use it. Mine only needed it for a few days, then it went in the garage/shed. good luck and post more pics... he is gorgeous...

and don't worry about the hair loss on back legs or tail... it may or may not grow back... doesn't mean anything troubling...

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

when i had my home check for Poppy, they asked me where she would sleep. i said anywhere she wanted to, and hopefully on the bed with me. all my dogs have always slept on the bed. i guess that was the answer they were looking for. of course they might get temporarily barred from the bedroom for certain human cheesey activity, but otherwise....

it depends on the dog, in the end. if they are more secure in a crate, fine. when they get more secure, leave the door open & let them choose where. i only had one accident on the bed with millie, she looked very sheepish and never did it again. i stayed up most of the night washing/drying the bed linen. she did wee a few times in the bathroom where i had towels and plastic underlay for her, when i went to work, but she eventually caught on after a couple weeks and never weed indoors for the rest of her thirteen years.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Welcome!

We have had our first grey for 6 years and still crate her at night (in our bedroom) because otherwise she jumps on our bed at stupid early hours. Totally our fault for letting her on the bed. She likes her crate, can be found in it frequently during the day.

Our new boy, Kirby (he's been home 4 weeks) doesn't much care for his crate. He now is on a bed in our room at night and is terrific. He does wear a belly band during the day because he does still mark in the house but otherwise I see no need to crate him especially when it makes him so unhappy.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Jordan33

Adrien came to me two months ago with a tail like that. I've been giving her Omega 3 with her food and using coconut oil as a moisturizer for her dry skin and her bald patches have all pretty much grown in. The vet recommended the Omega 3. Wysong pet food has some dry Omega 3 I recently ordered to try instead of the messy oil from the vet. Www.wysong.net

Adrien refused her crate the first night she was with me. But she's been a dream. She sleeps on a bed in my room, or on the other bed, her favorite, in the livingroom at night. During the day, I assume she sleeps all day as nothing is ever disturbed!

Welcome to you and Ollie! He is so handsome -- love those sweet fawn faces.

the most destructive thing he's done is pulled at a roll of paper towel

Wait till he discovers the toilet paper :devil

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I meant to add that we had tried all sorts of things with our girl and after years with a bald butt (thighs), within weeks of putting her on Springtime Fresh Factors, her butt is fuzzy.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Welcome! Where in DC are you? (I'm in New Carrollton...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge