Jeff Has New Problem - Neck Spasms

I first saw these spasms 2 weeks ago. As you can see, they don't seem to bother him and as he was just home from the hospital and exhausted, I decided to watch and wait.

Saw it happen again yesterday, and just now. Since I don't have eyes on him all the time, no idea how often it is actually happening. There is no problem I can detect with breathing, no pain, etc.

They affect mainly his throat area, and up toward the back jaw area of his face.

We have a recheck with the internal med vet on Tuesday and I will show him this. No idea if it could be a side effect of the meds, or if it is an independent problem.

Have never posted a video link before, hopefully this works:

Jeff's Neck Spasms

If anyone has seen this in their dog I would be very interested to know what it was and what you did about it.

Thank you!

no idea but I hope it's not serious

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest goofydog

Jeff honey, you need to stop worrying your Mom. I hope this is a reaction to one of the meds. Hugs to both of you. Please give Vonnie a smooch too.

What else is he on? Kasey used to actually shake a bit (shoulder area) when his gabapentin was wearing off. I never noticed this reaction when he was just on pred and the vet confirmed it was a side effect of gaba - but I would certainly guess it's a reaction to meds. Has he always had this reaction on the med or has it happened suddenly after being on the same meds for a while/changes of meds.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

How long has he been on the pred (started at 75 i presume?) I wonder when you weaned him/how you weaned him down from 75 to 40 and if that was recent. The change may not have been gradual enough....just a thought.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Last November, Bailey, our yellow lab, developed an illness that was hard to diagnose. In addition to loss of appetite & weakness, he had spasms that looked exactly like Jeff's video. It turned out that he was having a reaction to the combination of gabapentin, tramadol & Proin. When we deleted some of the meds, his appetite returned and the ill effects we saw went away. It took a couple of weeks for the spasms to disappear. They gradually got smaller and less noticeable each day until they eventually disappeared.

Hope this is helpful to you. Jeff has been taking a lot of medicine and it could be a reaction to one or a combination of the meds.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Jeff was in the hospital for a week on Pred and Azathioprine, no idea what dose. I picked him up on September 28 and he was on the above 3 meds for 2 weeks, then reduced to the above amounts this past Monday, October 12.

At his recheck on Tuesday Oct 13 the internal med vet was concerned about Jeff's extreme weight and muscle loss (about 15 lbs) and said if Jeff remained stable he would further reduce the Pred and Azathioprine at his next recheck this coming Tuesday, October 20, a week sooner than originally planned.

The bloodwork we had done on Friday showed his electrolytes were OK, but a couple of his liver values are "mildly" elevated :( Another reason to hope the meds can be further reduced.

I will show the internal med vet the video when we see him on Tuesday, but I agree that their arrival coincides with high doses of these meds, and as such, is probably related.

How much Milk Thistle can I safely give him. At last check he weighed just over 62lbs, normal weight is 76 - 78 lbs.

Edited to include the week in the hospital, during which period I don't know what dosages he was on.

Edited by Rickiesmom

How is sweet Jeff doing?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We had a recheck yesterday with the internal med vet. Jeff has gained 2 lbs!! First time he hasn't shown weight loss, so the extra meal and goodies, and reduced meds are definitely helping.

PCV% was 46% - same as Friday, up from 44% the week before, so while I got the sense the vet was hoping for more, Jeff is at least stable.

Vet not too concerned about the neck spasms - said it sometimes happens on high steroid doses, and should go away as the meds go down. And as hoped he further reduced the Pred to 25mg daily and the Azathioprine to 25 mg every other day. This is 1/3 the dose he started out on, so represents a substantial decrease. Recheck in two weeks.

Because of the weight and especially the muscle loss, Jeff has also lost a lot of strength. I have already been slowly increasing the duration of our walks, and will now start just a little balance disk work with him as well.

So assuming the disease doesn't rear up again on the lower doses, it's all good news.

excellent!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff had a recheck today. The spasms are ongoing but otherwise everything is great. His weight, which was 62lbs at its lowest is up to almost 75lbs (I have been feeding him A LOT, but will start cutting back now). Someone commented at the park today how much better he looked, and his energy is way up too.

PCV is 48% which puts him in the general normal range, though low for a greyhound still, and his platelets are also a bit low, 149K, but not bad for a greyhound and vet thinks they will go up as the Pred goes down. WBC is normal.

Imuran will remain the same - 25mg every other day, but the Pred is being cut back to 25mg every other day as well (was every day). We alternate days so he will only get one each each day - seems like that should be easier on him.

So barring any setbacks it looks like we are out of the woods, although I will be a lot happier when those spasms stop.

Great news!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."