Non-Invasive Victory Over Corn

I am extremely happy to report that the corn that caused Chase so much pain is no longer there.

The duck tape method successfully removed it.

Here is a picture of his toe with the corn coming out taken a few days before it came completely out.

Chases%20corn.jpg

Edited by 4My2Greys

Duck tape worked for Paul and Shine. Unfortunately, Shine's corn is returning. It is even worth it as a temporary fix.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PiagetsMom

I know this has been explained many times, but please explain to me how the duct tape process works. For how long do you leave it on, or how often do you change it?

Great news!!! I discovered a corn on Bowie's rear foot a couple of weeks ago. I did a lot of reading and decide to go the duct tape route, too. I learned this...don't use Gorilla duct tape, as great as it is for other things, it's too thick and won't form to the pad of the foot easily because it's too thick. I just bought some thin silver traditional duct tape at Home Dept today. I hope to be able to report the same results skin!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

With Paul, in one week, a seed wart came out, completely. His corn never fully came out but rose up enough to dremel flat. Shine's had to stay on a long time, like a month, maybe. Then her corn came completely out. I sort of nudged it with my fingernail, as it rose to the top, and then it came out. It was the size of the small pebble. It has come out, though and we are working on it again.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm not sure how it works, I can only speculate as others have. Perhaps it something in the adhesive along with the corn being covered and perhaps suffocating for lack of oxygen.

I used the Duck tape Max because I remembered reading somewhere here that the cheap dollar store duck tape wouldn't work. It was hard to get a piece to stick, but I persevered until I got it to adhere and only replaced it when it had come unstuck all around. I would then carefully peel it off and apply another piece. I never tried to pull the corn out even when it was at the stage the picture was taken. I didn't want there be a chance a piece be left behind and start growing again. I came home from work a few days after I took that picture to find both the tape and corn gone from his toe. One time I soaked his foot, which some have mentioned doing another time I applied a 40% solution of salicylic acid. Both times after doing so it took several days before I could get the tape to stick again.

I hope this is the last corn I deal with, but if not the duck tape method and a little patience will always be the first thing I try. I would encourage others to do the same.

I'm the one that found out cheap duct tape won't work. :blush It has to be a higher $$$ brand like Nashua (Home Depot) or Duck (which I think is cheapest at Dollar General). I a not sure if it smothers them or something else. For us it was easier to just cut off small diamonds slightly bigger than the corns as opposed to trying to make circles. Leave on 3 or 4 days then peel off and repeat. After a few times the corn will come out.

Rex's corn's were in the very early 2000's. Hulling and Grassmere weren't big words (if even around) back then. The adoption group arranged surgery on all 4 paws at once (I think he had 6 corns total) and that ​was horrific...me lifting an 82# dog up and down off the stoop over and over, his pain even through the patch and how much the tough paw (or whatever it was) stung him.

I am the world's biggest anti-surgery-on-corns person. When they returned shortly after surgery we used duct tape and lived happily ever after.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I didn't bother with cutting out circles either. I just did squares or rectangles big enough to cover the corn and a bit of the surrounding area.

I found if you handled the tape too much it wouldn't adhere to the toe.

I can't even begin to wonder what the hell the adoption group and vet were thinking Pam by doing surgery on all four paws at the same time. Surgery isn't the problem it's idiots that do something like that. Now that I know about corns I will always give duct tape a try first, but I won't rule out surgery if the duct tape happens to not work on a particular corn. And I wouldn't have surgery done on more than one paw at a time. That way they can tripod while the toe heals.

Duct tape is definitely the way to go though.