Alternatives To Rimadyl Or Deramaxx, Occasional Use

Mazy has had a swollen toe, front outer foot. Probably got it from zooming in the yard. Not dislocated. Limped a couple days but not now though swelling continues.

Vet will check it tomorrow and I want to ask questions about intermittent long term meds for an inflammation like this.

I stopped using Fresh Factors because the dogs weren't crazy about eating them and I don't want to have to grind them up.

I just started everyone on the Greyhound Gang products, MSM, Vitamin C, Glucosamin and Chondriotin. I like those because they are in powder form. Too soon to see any results yet.

So, for occasional use, what might be a safer RX product than Rimadyl or Deramaxx?

Also, was it MSM that should be discontinued if a steroid was needed?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I readily gave Kasey MSM while he was on pred for the last 8 years of his life, without a known issue. It's not clear to me what the possible connection is between the two.

I'd be more concerned with addressing the swelling than joint meds right now, and I'm scratching my head a bit because I can't think of anything I've used to assist with swelling. I do remember a long time ago giving Arnica (homeopathic) for trauma, but I don't think it did a darn thing. I also tried something on Ryder called Traumeel (over the counter), since he's the limper in the family, and I also didn't see that working. To tell you the truth, the only thing that helped with limping for us was a chiropractor. Even occasionally, going in for an adjustment worked better than any drug or treatment I gave him - so that's my alternative suggestion.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've used a drug called Metacam - don't know if it is safer or less powerful since it was used before an amputation. Not many vets seem to be aware of it.

I've also used Traumeel with limited success.

Another one is Arnica which Larry's chiropractor suggested. I have not used it yet as I'm trying to figure out the dosage. I got it at Whole Foods.

Short term: I like Metacam (also called Meloxicam) for short-term use. It loads very rapidly in the body, so you will get the inflamation under control faster and potentially use the drug for a shorter time period (those with actual medical training please correct me if this has changed, this is what my vet told me and I confirmed 5 years ago). For pain, it can be temporarily or long-term paired with Tramadol, which won't help with swelling but will help with pain.

Long term: For longer term inflamation, I like Cosequine sprinkle capsules--3 dogs, and I've never had a problem with just putting it on their food. Fish oil supplements also help with a variety of inflamation issues in the body, I take them and both my dogs take them, but they're really a long-term thing, not something that will help right away. All of us take the Costco (Kirkland) human version brand.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Note that Metacam is expensive, and is also an NSAID, so don't take within 3days of deramax or other NSAID.

I like Metacam, though, for dogs with low or shifting weight (its a liquid, and the accompanying syringe is measured by weight). My angel Paige used it ... she was 47# soaking wet and I struggled to keep weight on her.

for a swollen toe, you could try soaking it in an Epsom salt bath (unless you know its from a dislocation or break, of course).

I've personally found that PanAway (by Young Living) oil helps temporarily, but has to be applied 5-6 times throughout the day and I usually find applying it with pharmaceuticals to be the best approach. Copaiba may also help (it has a numbing effect ... great for toothaches btw)

good luck.

Metacam is the liquid form of Meloxicam - I think - and is easier to dose than the pills. The dosage has to be rather exact based on their weight. We are lucky that Toni is exactly the right weight for a half a 7 mg pill, which she gets every day. She has had absolutely no issues with it, likely because her stomach is made of cast iron. :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Honestly, provided it is just an injury from running and not something like a bug bite or foreign body, you really want an anti-inflammatory. Not sure it matters much whether it's Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Meloxicam. If Mazy has taken one of them in the past without issue I would just use that one since you know it isn't likely to cause side effects.

ETA: There are "natural" anti-inflammatories like Curcumin, Boswellia, etc., but I don't think it's worth it for an acute injury. Just do an NSAID until the swelling is gone and then rest her and/or wrap the foot until she's fully healed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We use Metacam however it can affect kidneys if used long-term.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My experience with Kramer (major orthopedic surgery survivor, bad arthritis) and myself (ditto!) is that NONE of the nutraceuticals really do much of anything except in very mild, early cases of arthritis. A swollen toe? I don't think they'd help, and most of them say right in the packaging they take up to six weeks to work.

Neither Kramer nor George had any problem with either Rimadyl or Deramaxx though. The vets did run blood work after 6 months, and then annually, to check his liver.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My experience with Kramer (major orthopedic surgery survivor, bad arthritis) and myself (ditto!) is that NONE of the nutraceuticals really do much of anything except in very mild, early cases of arthritis. A swollen toe? I don't think they'd help, and most of them say right in the packaging they take up to six weeks to work.

Neither Kramer nor George had any problem with either Rimadyl or Deramaxx though. The vets did run blood work after 6 months, and then annually, to check his liver.

So agree. Use an NSAID. If given on a continued basis blood work should be run every 6 months to check renal and hepatic values.

Of all of the NSAIDs available to dogs previcox is suppose to be a bit more renal friendly. NSAIDs can absolutely be used long term however bloods must be monitored.

I readily gave Kasey MSM while he was on pred for the last 8 years of his life, without a known issue. It's not clear to me what the possible connection is between the two

I'll ask my vet.

I almost put Dottie down and it was the combination of those two. Once I stopped the MSM she was fine.

Be careful with the GG's glucosamine because it is made from shark cartiledge.

Researched Supplement Range: 1,000 mg 50,000 mg

Average Daily Intake: Unavailable

Notes: Should not be used by pregnant women or children, or persons who have had recent surgery, suffered a heart attack, or have a danger of stroke or any other vascular condition.

Shark Cartilage has an angiogenesis inhibition effect, meaning it suppresses new blood vessel development and shrinks existing blood vessels. This effect could worsen heart, brain, or kidney vascular diseases. Although shark cartilage is known to be used for arthritis it appears to be an unwise choice, since an arthritis supplement program needs enhanced blood flow for the joint to receive nutrients and make repairs.

Cancerous tumor often grow because they stimulate the body to get them nutrients through new networks of blood vessels. It is easy to see that shark cartilage is a valuable advocate for fighting the growth of cancerous tumors; and studies document that shark cartilage has been effective in shrinking cancerous tumors. Shark cartilage also stimulates the immune system. It has been used successfully for macular degeneration, inflammation of the bowel lining, and diabetic retinopathy. http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/access...#sharkcartilage

I have used Fresh Factors for close to 20 years and yes, there is a difference when the dogs are on it. One thing I like is that greyhounds tolerate it well. That is not true of all of the alternative meds for arthritis. Most of the dogs will eat them plain, but for the ones who won't I grind (they are very soft -- you can actually mush them with a spoon), or break them up and put them in their food. Springtime makes a powder with chondroitin (bovine), glucosamine (shellfish) and MSM if that is the way you want to go.

Tramadol is good for pain management for a few days if needed. There is one herbal combination I keep on hand for short term pain management called ResinallE. That herb, Calm Spirit and Quiet Digestion are the 3 that work well and greyhounds tolerate well.

Just remember, if you use a NSAID, they all have the same side effects, however, the death rate is less in some when a severe reaction occurs. Metacam oral has half the death rate as rimadyl, however, the same death rate when an injection is given. Also, keep in mind that seniors have reaction rates many times that of younger dogs, although young dogs have died. I babysat a grey once on previcox (had I know at the time it was a NSAID I would have been nuts) and when I saw the black stools I called the vet and the med was discontinued immediately.

The first three blood tests I would do a blood test to start, another in no more than two weeks, then perhaps 6 weeks. Had I done that, Eliza would have lived. Several vets who were involved changed their protocols after Eliza died.

While Eliza was fighting for her life, I remember the vet at Pfizer telling me "a dog with an underlying condition, should not be given rimadyl". Stop and ponder that.......

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits