Lora Ate The Stuffing From A Hedgehog

Lora brutally murdered Sarge's favorite toy, Mr. Hedgehog. She also ate a bunch of polyfill stuffing. Should I be concerned?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Odin eats all the toys, so, poor Shine has nothing to play with since I have taken all the toys away. Odin threw up a duck head one day. He also stole one of my peds, and I didn't know. I did the wash and was one ped short. Two days later he threw up a ped. The stuffing has to come out, one way or the other. I think your concern should be based on how much she ate. Or, can you tell about how much?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I would guess she ate an amount equivalent to the size of a baseball, but not densely packed.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

Make sure she continues to eat and eliminate normally, otherwise, she should be fine. Toni pooped out an entire washcloth - whole - one time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've found some interesting items while shoveling poop. :)

I ended up calling the vet just to be on the safe side, and since at that point it hadn't been too long since Lora had eaten the stuffing he had me bring her out to the back yard and pour some hydrogen peroxide down her throat to make her throw up. He said it was safer for her to vomit it out than to poop it out since the latter posed a risk of intestinal blockage along the way. She hoarked up all of the stuffing and actually there was an awful lot more of it than I had thought.

Sarge is looking forlornly for Mr. Hedgehog. We will have to purchase some clones.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg

Glad she's okay. Henry will eat stuff and throw it up, always at 3am in my bedroom. We've found lots of really funny, crinkly sounding toys that the boys can fling around, tear pieces off, etc. without any stuffing. Might want to check those out.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Glad it came out/up ok. You must have a greyt peroxide-down-the-throat technique. I haven't had to do this, but with Jeter I'm sure it's just a matter of time and I doubt my abilities. Any tips would be welcome.

<<We will have to purchase some clones>> Lora -- :chow

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks for the link Pam. We haven't had a lot of luck with stuffing-free toys in the past but for the price it's worth another try. Usually they don't destuff their toys. Sarge had Mr. Hedgehog for months. But once they spring a leak and the stuffing peeks out, they can't resist. I think that's what inspired Lora's homicidal rampage.

I just get regular 3% hydrogen peroxide (Wal-Mart sells some with a squirt top, which makes life much easier). I take the dog outside, tilt the muzzle up, crack the jaws open--getting a good grip on the dog first, and leashing if necessary because you won't catch them again if they get away--and then pour several glugs of peroxide straight down the gullet. It tastes awful and they will try to spit it out. I keep the muzzle tilted up and hold the jaws closed until I see the dog swallow. If they don't throw up inside of 10 minutes I know I have to do it again. I'm sure from the dog's point of view it seems barbaric, but it beats the alternative when they've eaten something that could potentially kill them.

Kristen with

68sgSRq.jpg