Corn? Or Should I Be Worried?

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

Last week, Jack started favoring his right front foot while walking, and grooming his toes intently when he settled in his bed. I looked at his foot, and it looked like there was some skin thickening on the pad consistent with pictures of corns I'd seen. So I stuck duct tape on it, and he did favor it much less over the next few days (I've changed the duct tape each day). Then I took him to the park yesterday, and last night he was back to the limping and grooming in a big way and his foot still seems to be bothering him this morning.

Does anyone have insight or experiences with this?

Corns are horrible. Nothing will make them go away and not come back. I am able to trim my boy's corn and make it smooth but his is not the round hard kind but flat and will stick off the side of the pad. I use toe nail trimmers to cut it down and an emery board to make it smooth.

A corn is like having a big pebble in your shoe. They suck!!

Guest Jacks_Human

Have you wet the pad and had a look? If it is a corn, you will see it as a kind of circle. Also, is Jack lame on hard surfaces but ok on soft?

It looked rather like the picture here when I cleaned his foot with a wet paper towel.

And yes, he is much less likely to favor it on carpet or grass than on concrete or laminate.

I've been putting duct tape over it, since a lot of people said this helped and would allow the corn to be brought to the surface and removed. Has this worked for anyone?

Then I'd say corn. I've not found anything that works 100%. Keep the pad soft with moisturizer, duct tape, I've used Epsom salts..... Hopefully it will come through relatively quickly. None greyhounds with corns Facebook page is a wealth of information and experience too.

Looks like two corns to me - the toe next to the toe in question has a little one too. I'm using the duct tape method, with his feet in socks to keep him from pulling off the duct tape. He wasn't messing with them though, before we started the process, just limping a bit.

YOU GOT CORNS!!! it's like walking w/ a rock in your shoe. soaking them makes them more difficult to remove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVWFUAT_4w watch this, it explains how to remove them, it doesn't hurt the dog, i used to hull my first greyhound's corn. but i used a "sharp"- an i.v. needle.

We do to know that---he has't posted an actual picture of the foot. Foreign bodies can look an awful lot like some of the smaller/internal corns.

I have no published scientific studies to back me up but when I used the duct tape successfully on Rex it seemed to work best leaving it on for 3 or 4 days. There is something in the goo it seems that seeps into the corn. You have to use the higher dollar stuff too like original Duck or Nashua. Dollar store stuff doesn't work. Good luck.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

if it is a corn and it looks like a corn the x-ray needs to be done side ways then small amounts of keratin can be viewed, but only from a side view(couto's talk on corns). soaking a paw will soften the corn then it can't be hulled when soft.

but if there is a foreign object the toe/pad usually swells and gets hot, no?? grooming the toes can be dirt or irritation to the nail bed after running. epsom's salts never hurts, cleans out dirt but foreign objects are a different story.

at the park the dog could run, right? soft grass

home- what kind of floors, sidewalks pretty hard as well- limps???

Guest Jacks_Human

Thanks for all the advice!
I soaked his foot in epsom salts, and continued with the duct tape, and it looks like a small corn came out :) Jack is no longer favoring the foot and is back to zooming.

Yea! Glad you got rid of it ! I used Gorilla tape over a month. Replacing it when it fell off. It finally shrunk the corn so you could grasp the edges with a toenail clipper and gently rocked it back and forth til it came out. I think the tape must suffocate the corn thereby making it recede from the good skin on the pad. Before the tape we walked mainly on grassy areas. That really seemed to help with the discomfort.