Assist Harness

We've started searching for an assist harness for Sammi. At the vet today, within 5 minutes of standing, her hips & back legs started to look like a GSD's. Thankfully the chairs in the office are the right height that I can get my thigh under her tuck and take the weight off of her back legs.

We're trying out Carprofen. So far so good. First dose was tonight and she is really relaxed atm. So guessing it is taking care of the inflammation and pain :)

Now onto the question.. Assist harness. A friend recommended the Solvit assist harness, but when I look on Amazon, the reviews are really mixed, and unsure of the sizing do the the pictures all being in a foreign language :(

Also looked at the Help em up harness & a few others.

Sammi is 12 yrs old and 76 pounds.

Any recommendations of others to look at or experiences with the above 2?

Thanks for looking!

When Mandy needed help, I used Carol's Greyhound harness. I don't see it listed anymore, but if you contact her, she may be able to help. It was wonderful.

A friend uses the Ruffwear WebMaster harness for her tripod. I know several other folks who have used it with their large breed dogs with great success.

Hugs to Sammi.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

In the mean time, take an old canvas bag and cut it down the middle so that when laid flat you have a handle on each end. You can pad it with towel/s. Totally washable and you have something to use until you figure out sizing. :)

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

an old sweatshirt is another option for a temporary solution. I have used both the Ruffwear and Carol's harness. Both are good, the Ruffwear is sturdier, but I wouldn't leave it on all the time, it is meant to be put on when needed and then taken off. Carol's is softer, and you can leave it on all the time.

Aw, sweet Sammi. I hope she heals up.

I bought a Help'em Up harness last Dec when Doodles had a spinal embolism, it is really great. She's doing really well, but I still use it when she needs to go in and out of the car. I like that I can only use half of it separately if that's all I need. It really helped me steady her when she first came home and needed back end assistance. Doodles weighs about 62 - 64lbs.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The Help'em Up harness was a blessing with (Foster)Sweet. She was like picking up a suitcase. So easy to put on/take off, the rear piece easily clips onto a ring of the front piece. Before we had the harness, I used Bug's sweatshirt sling that worked fine for that little girl. The Help'em Up is great because you have control over both the front and hind end. Good luck to you and sweet Sammi.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have two Ruffwear Webmaster harnesses and I just love them. I have used them on all of my senior dogs who ended up with hind end weakness. It's a six point harness with a handle.

angel Atlas hated his at first. To "get me back" for making him wear it, as I would guide him by the handle, he'd launch himself down the four stairs going out the door essentially forcing me to carry him like an oversized suitcase while he hung limpish in the air. He never did that with his WWW harness. :lol

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.