How Long Can A Dog Go Without Eating?

Guest FordRacingRon

Do you think it's really in her best interest to keep her here?

Seems rather apparent she is ready to say goodbye.

I know how painful it is--I had to watch my father go from 200 to 140 pounds. But we refused to allow the nursing home to tube or force feed him, and he refused to eat or drink. I think it was his way of letting go of this life since we were not allowed by law do free him from his broken mind and body the way we can our animal friends.

My heart goes out to you, your family, but mostly your dear old friend.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only two things Dylan wanted to eat were rotisserie chicken from Walmart and Bores Head roast beast. Yes, it had to be Bores Head. He turned his nose up at store brand. :lol Sending healing energy and comforting thoughts.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I completely disagree with GeorgeofNE as you are the only one to determine that.

I have done syringe feedings to kick start interest and there was a "paste" in a tube at my vets that is a high calorie nutritional supplement that worked very well.

I was told to try cat food, puppy food, baby food.

Hang in there !!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

So sorry to read your poor dog is not eating.

If well-fleshed and still drinking, about 3 weeks before weakness and muscle re-absorbtion start make life too miserable.

If not drinking at all and if not eating wet food then within a week.

You have to judge quality of life and remember it's better to send them to the Bridge a day too early rather than an hour too late.

So for now you have to try to get her to eat anything she will. (Royal Canin put something in their vet diet cans that makes it practically irresisitible.)

Edited by JohnF

Guest FordRacingRon

She needs another abdominal scan before taking the next step.

She did have an ultrasound about 4 (or maybe less) months ago. Showed slight swelling in her intestine,,hence the IBS. Maybe she could use one more.

I sometimes wonder if it is her sense of smell that has gone awry. She will beg as always around feeding time but turns he nose up an anything we present. Her personality is pretty much as always,,wants to walk and go for car rides and say "doggy store" and she beats me to the door.

Later last night I got her to eat all the roast beef out of my dinner sandwich, a hot dog (extra long!) , and some cheese.

The other puzzling thing is for the little she eats, she is not losing weight. Hence the reason for my original post.

Could my dog survive on eating one really good meal every 3rd or so day and just picking the rest of the time?

I do not think she is ready for the next step but is she doesn't eat enough and does start to lose weight, then maybe she is. But not now, not when she is my regular dog in all other aspects but eating.

I too would rescan, asap. Could be something treatable like an enlarged spleen, which would give you inappetence without weight loss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon

The fact that she seems to want to eat, but is actually eating so little, but not losing weight, would cause me to want to do another ultrasound. Glad there are some things she will eat, even if only once or twice!

Well,,turns out she is losing weight. 3 pounds since we last saw him 3 weeks ago. She is actually at a perfect weight now. Trying some new meds, paste for caloric intake and we see him in a week.. If it gets no better I will ask for a scan. I am afraid now of making the wrong decisions.

Ron, I would go ahead and get the scan done now, rather than waiting a week. You will have peace of mind knowing what you're dealing with (or not dealing with, as the case may be). Sending you and Leia lots of good thoughts.

Oh, if you haven't tried canned green tripe yet, try it. It smells incredibly foul, but if you're right that she may not be smelling as well, that's pretty much the strongest smelling stuff out there :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest chickenpotpie

Ron, I can't imagine what a huge undertaking this is. But I think it needs to be said; you're doing a great job for your girl. Hugs to you and your family.

Guest IrskasMom

Ron, I been there where you are with my Morty . Morty lost over 7 lb. within less then a Year . He has Glaucoma in one Eye, which means steady Migrane Headaches for him . Of Course he didn;t want to eat.

I wish you all the Best and hope you and your Vet can get to the bottom of her not wanting to eat. Please keep us posted .

Guest FordRacingRon

I would encourage you to see an internal medicine Dr at this point. You are only spinning your wheels. Something is physically wrong with your girl. Perhaps if you discover what it is it may be treated and corrected. If you wait, well....

YOu know that is what brought us here. When her trouble started last summer we did see an internist, a cardiologist and a neurologist and each one of them did a respective scan for their piece of the puzzle. That is why I said, the internist diagnosed with slight IBS but nothing that warranted further testing. We really don't have much spare money to do this again as we are retired,,that bout cost us over 3K

Yesterday she at ate an entire bunch of different things but the weird thing is most of her calories were from actual dog food for once in maybe the last 5 months. She had two poos, middle of the night and walked 3/4 mile (most of the week) this am and had another good poo. I am hoping the new meds are working.

This is why I get frustrated. One day I think she is on the road to recovery, the next on the road tot he bridge.

One day at a time I guess because one doesn't know what the next day brings.

Ford Racing Ron- I have been following Leia and yours saga. I think YOU are her best advocate and know better than anyone else what is best for her. Seems to me you have done all the right things in balance and are open minded and willing enough to let love take its course. I would encourage you to continue doing just as you have been. I have discovered through experience that what I know on the inside about my animals often trumps what others might think and that includes vets and that is proven out by the results I have obtained that were far better than what would have happenned if I had blindly followed the advice of others believing that they knew better than me. While well intentioned they simply do not KNOW as much as you do about your Leia. Nobody knows what is best for Leia but you. No one has a magic pill that will fix everything and you are well aware that while well meaning, medications not uncommonly cause more problems than they alleviate. Nature knows best. Your love is what allows her body to do its best healing. She is a lucky girl to have you for a dad! Please give her some scritches for me and keep doing what you have been-keep listening to your gut-you DO know best for her and ONLY you do.

Guest AmberGusDad

Ron and Ann, I'm sure you would be amazed at the number of people who are in your corner. Your concern and care for Leia is extraordinary.

Just know that you are not alone during this difficult time.

Ed

Ford Racing Ron- I have been following Leia and yours saga. I think YOU are her best advocate and know better than anyone else what is best for her. Seems to me you have done all the right things in balance and are open minded and willing enough to let love take its course. I would encourage you to continue doing just as you have been. I have discovered through experience that what I know on the inside about my animals often trumps what others might think and that includes vets and that is proven out by the results I have obtained that were far better than what would have happenned if I had blindly followed the advice of others believing that they knew better than me. While well intentioned they simply do not KNOW as much as you do about your Leia. Nobody knows what is best for Leia but you. No one has a magic pill that will fix everything and you are well aware that while well meaning, medications not uncommonly cause more problems than they alleviate. Nature knows best. Your love is what allows her body to do its best healing. She is a lucky girl to have you for a dad! Please give her some scritches for me and keep doing what you have been-keep listening to your gut-you DO know best for her and ONLY you do.

so agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day at a time I guess because one doesn't know what the next day brings.

it is definitely one day at a time but you are all over this and attentive to all details. They certainly have a mind of their own at times like this!! My 14 yr old is celebrating her 4 yr anniversary of liver disease that was suppose do be a death sentence yrs ago. My vet teases every time he sees her ( not funny to me...) "oh, is she still with us, she is not suppose to be??!!" Keep up the love and good job you are doing for your baby!!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Fingers crossed that the new meds are starting to make her feel better-sometimes nature may know best but needs a little help. I do agree that you know your girl the best but, when you repeatedly post that she's not eating and is now losing weight one must assume that something medical is happening. Believe me my heart aches for you-please understand that everyone posting here is because we are concerned. I also totally "get" the financial burden too--been there.

I'm not sure I understand racindogs post--just withhold meds and hope she eats...and if she doesn't let nature run it's course?? Sorry that just doesn't set well with me--I'll refrain from any other comments as I feel it will distract for your original reason for posting.

Give Leia a hug--and tell her to eat today ! ;-)

Edited by tbhounds

Guest FordRacingRon

So how about this,,can a dog live on sliced roast beef, chicken strips and vitamin paste?

Leia gave up eating last weekend. I was thinking about what I would say in the remembrance section and cried a billion times. Tuesday we saw the vet and he gave her a new prescription and some of that high caloric/vitamin paste someone mentioned. Wednesday I could only think of one last thing and remembered that last thing she liked to eat was the roast beef out of my french dip sandwich. I went out to our local supermarket and bought some Charlie Pride sliced beef from the deli counter. Brought it home, she ate a half pound without blinking an eye and loved that brown gooey paste from the vet too. Thursday for only the second time since August she had not one,,but two perfect poos in the morning. Went to Costco and bought some of their sliced roast beef. Poison. Back to the market and more Charlie Pride,,ate it like a champ. Later when the Charlie stuff was gone she lowered her standards and ate Costco and of course the paste. Friday ,,perfect poos. Repeated Friday,,,Saturday again perfect so far. Also on Friday she went back to eating her treats.

So for now sliced roast beef seems to be the new favorite, backed with the gooey paste and some treats. I don't know how healthy this is but for now it is working and she seems to be getting peppier again and is pooing the right way.

I am just afraid we could go backwards at any moment.

PS: this reminded me of one of you writing all their dog would eat was Boar's Head lunchmeat. Here it is Charlie PRide.

Guest IrskasMom

Ron and Ann , I know so well when your Pooch is not eating . I cried and cried some more after he refused eating for Days and Days . My Morty is skin and Bones . It will take me a long time to get a Pound on him. Since last Thursday , I have been giving him a Famotadine in every Meal ( he eats three Meals right now ) and " Viola " he is eating without Hesitation .I even went to the Babyfood Isle and bought this sqeezable Packs Sweet Potato and Apple ( little ) and he loves it. If that , what puts a Pound on him I will buy him 2 Cheeseburgers every Day.