How Long Can A Dog Go Without Eating?

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Well as an update and I hope not a jinx,,Leia has eaten and pooed perfectly for 5 days in a row now. Last week the vet added Sucralfate to her repertoire. So she takes Metronidazole (but will be ending soon) and Sucralfate. We also added that paste someone recommended. Bought a tube at the vet but found you can buy it at Petsmart or Petco or Amazon. Not sure which of the meds did it but for now she is eating.

But,,all she will eat is Charlie PRide roast beef. And it has to be heated,wont eat it cold. Now I could use a recommendation on how much she should get a day. She would eat a pound if I would let her but I won't. She eats the beef and the paste. She also will eat treats but I have to admit over the years I have spoiled her (duh) so she has a rotation of about 6 treats. But only one type a day tempts her so what may be good today won't work for another 5 or 6 days. Now if she stops the roast beef I will be at a loss but for now,,,if it works don't fix it. The vet said our goal now is to maintain her weight and I think we are doing that.

Fingers crossed,,,,one day at a time. This really has me on edge every single moment of every day now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fingers crossed that the new meds are starting to make her feel better-sometimes nature may know best but needs a little help. I do agree that you know your girl the best but, when you repeatedly post that she's not eating and is now losing weight one must assume that something medical is happening. Believe me my heart aches for you-please understand that everyone posting here is because we are concerned. I also totally "get" the financial burden too--been there.

I'm not sure I understand racindogs post--just withhold meds and hope she eats...and if she doesn't let nature run it's course?? Sorry that just doesn't set well with me--I'll refrain from any other comments as I feel it will distract for your original reason for posting.

Give Leia a hug--and tell her to eat today ! ;-)

FYI-Thats certainly NOT what I was saying. I am not ignorant.

My bridge girl Gypsy was very fussy her last year. At one point she would only eat if she got warm chicken alfredo over her kibble. At other times it was freshly grated parmesan cheese (forget the canned, it wasn't good enough). Then it was beef gravy and it better have chunks of beef. Then canned tuna. She cycled between these, sometimes all she would eat was ice cream. She did like vanilla Ensure, I got the high calorie one for her. We could usually get her to drink that if nothing else was appealing to her.

We catered to her and called her our Little Diva.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

I can't help with amounts. My dogs need over a pound of raw a day on average to maintain their weight, but that's raw, which contains a lot of water so I don't know how ti would translate to cooked meat. Glad the changes you've implemented seem to be helping though.

Out of curiosity, have you tried different brands of high quality grain free canned dog food? Those tend to be mostly meat and might appeal to her for that reason. I would say you'd need to try a lot of brands before you rule out the canned option entirely, but after having tried a good number (I use it for kong filling), I am a big fan of the Blue Buffalo Freedom foods. The dogs have really good poop even when it's added in and they seem to really like it. There is a beef flavor:

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/canned-food/blue-freedom-trade-adult-dog-food-zid36-24403/cat-36-catid-100031?var_id=36-24403&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

I know you've probably already tried a ton of stuff and weren't asking for suggestions, but just because the roast beef appeals so much I thought I'd suggest trying it (again).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FordRacingRon

I can't help with amounts. My dogs need over a pound of raw a day on average to maintain their weight, but that's raw, which contains a lot of water so I don't know how ti would translate to cooked meat. Glad the changes you've implemented seem to be helping though.

Out of curiosity, have you tried different brands of high quality grain free canned dog food? Those tend to be mostly meat and might appeal to her for that reason. I would say you'd need to try a lot of brands before you rule out the canned option entirely, but after having tried a good number (I use it for kong filling), I am a big fan of the Blue Buffalo Freedom foods. The dogs have really good poop even when it's added in and they seem to really like it. There is a beef flavor:

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/canned-food/blue-freedom-trade-adult-dog-food-zid36-24403/cat-36-catid-100031?var_id=36-24403&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

I know you've probably already tried a ton of stuff and weren't asking for suggestions, but just because the roast beef appeals so much I thought I'd suggest trying it (again).

Almost every time I go to the pet store,,which is at least 2 times a week when you care for a dog, rabbit and kitty,,,I get a different can of food to try with Leia. The problem is she may eat it as though it's the best thing ever,,then I buy a second can and it is poison. It is virtually impossible to find something she will eat twice. this is my fear with the roast beef. Where to go if it fails. But today is day 6 and she has eaten it again.

What I am trying to do,,if this makes sense,,is base her input on calorie count. I thought I figured out in human calories she needs 1100 a day so that is what I am striving for. When we see the vet next week I will know if I have been giving her enough. If she gains then great, backup weight, if not I will increase it.

Gotcha. I figured as much, but you never know. :) Hope she gains a little weight for you before the next visit.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You may need to add some calcium as there is very little in beef. Not sure how much is in the paste you're giving her, but I doubt it's enough. As a guide, she probably needs at least 800mg per day.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest FordRacingRon

You may need to add some calcium as there is very little in beef. Not sure how much is in the paste you're giving her, but I doubt it's enough. As a guide, she probably needs at least 800mg per day

I thought about that last night,,,,,going back to giving her the vitamins she takes. She will take pills so that is not a problem. Thanks for a reminder.

I still find it strange she can tell one sliced beef from another,,I tried to slip her a different brand yesterday and she would have none of it. Only Charlie's will she eat.

Did you ever try the liver? I thought I remembered you saying you were going to, but then didn't see what happened. Or fresh green tripe?

Guest FordRacingRon

Did you ever try the liver? I thought I remembered you saying you were going to, but then didn't see what happened. Or fresh green tripe?

Did try, it was disgusting to me and the dog ! (sorry liver lovers !). She likes NY steak though

Did try, it was disgusting to me and the dog ! (sorry liver lovers !). She likes NY steak though

I don't like it either, but the dogs love it here so I suffer through. ;)