How Long Can A Dog Go Without Eating?

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Just curious. I think my girl is heading for the last round up. I do not need any advice as what to feed her because absolutely nothing at all will tempt her now. Period. Exception,,,chicken strips. So how long will she last?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve123

Sorry to hear about this :(

I recently lost my grey as well to liver failure, her appetite through that as you can imagine was up and down, she went about two days of not eating, then she had some fish fingers that she couldn't keep down.

Before though she went 3 days without food when she had caught a bug, she still drank and then cleared up. Impossible to say how long she may have last, if she's still eating at least.

I how that she is well though.

If you can get her to eat enough of them, chicken strips can sustain her for quite a while. It's not a balanced diet, but that's not what you're looking for. As hard as it is, we can't keep them around forever. {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FordRacingRon

If you can get her to eat enough of them, chicken strips can sustain her for quite a while. It's not a balanced diet, but that's not what you're looking for. As hard as it is, we can't keep them around forever. {{{hugs}}}

she would eat a bag a day if I let her,,,got some baby food and cheese into her tonight (and strips ). Tomorrow going for the last best chance,,,El Pollo Loco

she hasn't had a real balanced diet for months,,,but eats vitamins

I'm so sorry you're facing this. :grouphug IMHO chicken strips aren't the worst thing if she will eat a good quantity of them. But if she is only eating teeny amounts or quits entirely it would be time in my book to think seriously about making the tough call. I know everyone has different feelings about this, but if a dog isn't eating, they have to be feeling pretty poorly. :(

she would eat a bag a day if I let her,,,got some baby food and cheese into her tonight (and strips ). Tomorrow going for the last best chance,,,El Pollo Loco

she hasn't had a real balanced diet for months,,,but eats vitamins

In that case, you might look into getting bone meal or egg shell powder into her to replace the nutrients she's missing from eating only boneless meat. If she's got a healthy appetite for the chicken and you can either of those into her, you may be in good shape. Have you tried liver in any form? Liver has tons of good nutrients, some which you don't really get anywhere else. Cooked, raw, freeze dried, ground, try it all. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FordRacingRon

I'm so sorry you're facing this. :grouphug IMHO chicken strips aren't the worst thing if she will eat a good quantity of them. But if she is only eating teeny amounts or quits entirely it would be time in my book to think seriously about making the tough call. I know everyone has different feelings about this, but if a dog isn't eating, they have to be feeling pretty poorly. :(

In that case, you might look into getting bone meal or egg shell powder into her to replace the nutrients she's missing from eating only boneless meat. If she's got a healthy appetite for the chicken and you can either of those into her, you may be in good shape. Have you tried liver in any form? Liver has tons of good nutrients, some which you don't really get anywhere else. Cooked, raw, freeze dried, ground, try it all. ;)

Well that is good,,,because as I said she will eat a bag of strips (USA ONLY !) if I let her. Liver is the one thing we never thought of,,,,may as well.

We do think her tummy bothers her and she does have IBS. Two weeks ago we started her on probiotics and Metronazide (sp?). Oe week ago today I was planning on seeing the vet the next Monday to tell him it wasn't working,,then Sunday (week ago) she turned into an eating machine. Ate like a hog Sunday, Mon, tues, Wed she ate less and for the first time in a long time had a genuine the-way-it-should-be poop that night. Then Thurs she just stopped and it was like we went backwards 4 months. So Thus through yesterday mostly just baby food and chicken strips. But El Pollo Loco thigh are the most coveted food so we will give that a whirl today and maybe some liver.

Guest FordRacingRon

The vet put my hound on B12 shots, one a week for 6 weeks and then 1 a month for the rest of his life. It helps with absorbing the vitamins in the food. I wish now I had tried raw feeding with him.

YOu know this deal with her started a few months back and we did do the b12 shot once and it worked but she got so hyper,,but she didn't have the valium she gets now too. Maybe i will try that again.

Our first grey Bailey had tumours in her stomach so she went downhill in a couple of days since she wasn't absorbing any nutrients. She threw up everything and I noticed how tired she was and how much she started to shed even though it was cold outside. Bailey was a chow hound and she was hungry, so we knew her quality of life was suffereing.

I hope you have good luck today because it's never a good sign when they're no longer interested in food, but I guess you know that. Hopefully those El Pollo Loco thighs will stimulate her appetite.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest FordRacingRon

Our first grey Bailey had tumours in her stomach so she went downhill in a couple of days since she wasn't absorbing any nutrients. She threw up everything and I noticed how tired she was and how much she started to shed even though it was cold outside. Bailey was a chow hound and she was hungry, so we knew her quality of life was suffereing.

I hope you have good luck today because it's never a good sign when they're no longer interested in food, but I guess you know that. Hopefully those El Pollo Loco thighs will stimulate her appetite.

Well,,,,,I guess again we may have bought time. 4 El Pollo Loco thighs went down like water (doggy crack to her). 2 chicken strips and 4 thighs and one jar of baby food for lunch,,,,guess she is fed today! I am trying to feed her based on a calorie content now.

We have 4 thighs for dinner too. Tomorrow onto liver and may I say,,this is the first time in my adult (or kid) life I have ever bought liver (I am 63) and must say,,yuck.

If no liver,,off to El Pollo and eventually the vet maybe Tues or Wed.

Wonder what El Pollo chicken is based in that makes it so addicting.

Glad she ate for you. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FordRacingRon

Glad she ate for you. :wub:

Had 3 more thighs for dinner last night. So 3 months ago this started with her and all she would eat was baby food and El Pollo. Finally got her to hamburger and ground turkey (which were good because I could slip kibble in with those two) and now we went backwards 3 months in one day.

Man,,senior dogs are so tough,,but they are so so sweet.

Wonder what El Pollo chicken is based in that makes it so addicting.

Recipe is here. Maybe try marinating whole chickens in this (could leave out the hot pepper) and then cook them in the crockpot. If you cook long enough in the crockpot, the bone will basically crumble so that it's safe to eat (I can't remember the length of time, but if you search GT you'll find the info - once it's completely cooked, you just sort of mash everything up). If you get the whole chickens that still have their innards inside (usually in a little bag that you have to take them out of) you could just throw everything in the crockpot and you'd have a completely nutritionally balanced meal for her. Whole chickens are also cheap.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FordRacingRon

Recipe is here. Maybe try marinating whole chickens in this (could leave out the hot pepper) and then cook them in the crockpot. If you cook long enough in the crockpot, the bone will basically crumble so that it's safe to eat (I can't remember the length of time, but if you search GT you'll find the info - once it's completely cooked, you just sort of mash everything up). If you get the whole chickens that still have their innards inside (usually in a little bag that you have to take them out of) you could just throw everything in the crockpot and you'd have a completely nutritionally balanced meal for her. Whole chickens are also cheap.

I booked mark it,,may go for it. I think the food coloring could be left out too. I am going to get that stuff tomorrow and try it. 3 months ago I got her off of El Pollo and onto home made thighs but this could be the ticket right here. Leave out peppers and food coloring. Isn't garlic on the no-no list,,or is the amount so small who cares.

Right now,,off to El Pollo. Tomorrow the super market.

EDIT to add,,,,,thank you so very much.

Edited by FordRacingRon

Garlic is in the same family as onions, but my understanding is that it is okay in small quantities and I think the taste is often appealing to dogs so I would probably put in a little. I can't tell from that recipe whether they're calling for 2 heads or 2 cloves. 2 cloves I would do, 2 heads I would not. :P

And yes, leave out the food coloring. I didn't notice that.

Guest FordRacingRon

Well,,back to square one. All I can get her to eat today was 1/2 jar of baby food (and maybe 1/4 cup of peanut butter). She is begging as she does when she is hungry...but wants nothing we have for her. None of her "favorites" even tempt her. I am just at a loss with this dog. BTW,,her normal personality is always present,,not acting any different at all during non-meal times.

Vet tomorrow morning.