How Often Have You Said It .........

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

I am on my " Wits End ". Right now and several times this Past Week , I said it a hundred times. Morty just refuses to eat . Vet Check all ok ( last Week ). He just will not eat. Scrambled Eggs with Cheese , chicken boiled ,Ground Beef cooked , Veggies put in , Sweet Potatoes added ...... nothing works. I am sitting here crying , because he can't and I mean can't afford to lose anymore weight. I disposed a minute ago Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and made him a new batch with boild Chicken ....... No dice. I am on my " Wits End ". I want you to know Peanut Butter he does not like .Morty is 10.5 Years old , he was never , ever Food Motivated not even Treats .

Erika,

I pm'd you.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My senior boy, Finnian can be a picky eater too. Smelly toppings, like chopped chicken liver, sardines, or mackerel seem to stimulate his interest, or sprinkling shredded cheddar cheese over the top can work too.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sounds like its desperation time-time to pull out the heavy artillery. Only thing I could suggest is....and get ready....but sometimes they really like raw green tripe (not the white bleached garbage from the grocery). If you can't find it fresh(often even comes ground ready to feed) it is available canned from quality suppliers like Solid Gold (Green Cow) and some others. And it is actually an excellent food having lots of enzymes and probiotics naturally and the perfect CA/P ratio. Its easy on their digestive system and completely safe for kidney compromised dogs. Certainly would be worth a try-he might love it and a can don't cost but ~ $2. Just hold your nose if you're not used to it. Also if you can find some actual rose oil from somewhere and put that on a dogdana around his neck sometimes that helps appetite issues. There are also some accupressure points you can stimulate to help. Sure hope he perks up and starts eating better!

When our first girl got older she just didn't want to eat breakfast anymore. She was soooooo sleepy in the mornings and would rather sleep than eat. She would eat dinner just fine though, so we switched her to only eating once a day. Everyone was happier. We increased her dinner amount accordingly, and also gave her some extra treats in the morning after we had been outside and she was moving around.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sort of know how you feel, our 11 year old has also never been food-motivated (he'll take a treat though), and lately we are going through a spell where he isn't too interested in eating. With him, he seems more interested later in the evening, so sometimes if he missed a meal earlier (we feed 3x a day), I can get him to eat a "second" dinner. I assume you've tried canned dog food already? Sometimes the dehydrated food (Honest Kitchen) works with our guy, but sometimes it doesn't...

What about doggie "junk food", I know this won't be a popular suggestion, but I know some of the cheaper dog foods are similar to our human junk food in a dogs mind. What about trying, kibbles and bits or gravy train, etc? I have been at my wits end before too, and I have used the cheap foods mixed with good ones to try and stimulate an appetite. If the choice is a little junk food versus starvation, I choose junk food.

:grouphug to both of you.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Didn't you have multiple "incidents/accidents" at your house over the weekend? Maybe Morty caught a "bug" from your house guests?

It's tough having a dog that is not food motivated. Here are some random thoughts.

I found that some seniors have a shift in their eating schedules. I had one that skipped breakfast but wanted to eat between 4 and 5 pm and then again at 10 pm. He also developed a taste for Stella and Chewy's Freeze Dried Cat Food to which I added shredded rotisserie chicken.

Perhaps it's time to consider trying a few raw temptations? Ground beef, chicken, bison, turkey, etc. Chicken necks are always on the hit parade around here. And there are several very good recipes for Fat Balls or Satin Balls = high calorie content, here on GT. If you have a pet supply store that stocks frozen raw dog food, that might be a good place to start.

Liver Brownies crumbled as a topping is very enticing to some, as is tuna juice. Canned sardines in water, too.

Meatloaf (without the onions) usually receives high marks as does "grilled" anything.

Then there is the "last chance" foods which consists of anything you can buy at a drive thru.

Have you tried 10mg Pepcid, 1/2 tablet of omeprazole or slippery elm 30 to 45 minutes before meal time? Did you talk to your Vet about an appetite stimulant (cyproheptadine)? 30 pills (4mg) were $20.78 at our compounding pharmacy.

Morty - EAT! Hugs for you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest chickenpotpie

Maybe try green tripe in the can? Its totally disgusting, but that seems to be what dogs like most about it. Also, will Morty eat raw? some ground beef mixed with kibble (just a little bit) could be worth it at this point.

I just went through a six day period where my new dog, Max would not eat. I think a lot of it was mental, being in a new house, but he would not even eat cooked ground turkey.

The thing that finally got him eating was Bil-Jac. The frozen stuff in the yellow bag, put it in the refrigerator overnight to let it thaw before feeding, and keep it refrigerated. First ingredient is tripe, which I think is what made it work (but it doesn't smell too bad). I've seen mixed reviews on nutritional quality, and it is mushy so not good for the teeth, but I have Max down to 1-cup real kibble and 1/2 cup Bil-Jac, and that seems to be working.

Every dog is different, but you might try it.

- Rob

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

My dogs are food motivated, so that helps, but when picky Stella and Chewy freeze dried chicken or beef dinner crumbled on top is very popular here! How about stinky fish, tuna or sardines or cooked white fish?

cooked beef or turkey ground meat is also a hit. Fresh cooked chicken pieces. Baby food, cat food when desperate.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

How's Morty doing Erika? Have you found anything that he likes to eat yet?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IrskasMom

Ducky , right now he is doing well. He eats his Breakfast every Morning . Scrambled Eggs with Cheese , Hot Dog ( yes Hot Dog ) he seems to like it, Rice . Anything goes as long , as he eats . I am keeping my Fingers crossed.