I know there are many posts on this topic (and I have read quite a few) – but a quick question for those of you who have had seriously old greyhounds: my sweet Lucy turned 14-1/2 in March. :kiss2 I adopted her two years ago, and overall, she has been a pretty healthy old girl except for rotten teeth and two dentals. Oh, she has a history of pottying in the house (both) but never in her bed.

One weekend in February, she was limping and favoring her left front leg. The hobbling stopped but I have been monitoring her.

Yesterday morning, she climbed out of bed and her hind end immediately collapsed into a squat and she peed and pooped all over a kitchen carpet runner. She had been fine the day before. Lucy had great difficulty ambulating, her hind legs splayed out, and so I helped her into a bed where she collapsed and didn’t move for four hours. She eventually got up w/o assistance but had pooped in the bed and (of course) it was smeared all over her little pooper and the underside of her tail.

Lucy has been reluctant to get out of bed and when she does her gait is awkward and she hobbles – mostly favoring the left front leg. No audible cries but, clearly, she is painful and pants at times.

She is an extremely picky eater but I was able to get some food and water into her but could not trick her into swallowing a Tramadol. Pet sitter came over and gave her an essential oils treatment for pain.

Sadly, I suspect Lucy’s days are winding down. She is too fragile for most diagnostic procedures and becomes very, very stressed at the vet. Maybe an x-ray?

I guess I am wondering: (probably) LS, degenerative disk disease, and/or osteo? Perhaps a combo platter? This happened so very suddenly.

I just wondered if any of you who have had a geriatric hound ever experienced such a intense sudden onset of symptoms. I suspect there is a finite amount I can do for her at this point except not allow her to suffer. Boy, it breaks your heart to watch sweet old hounds get even older.

Thanks a million!

I lost my girl Sadi last year, she had spondylosis (sp?) of the lumbar spine. Her decline was fairly steady over the last 18 months of her life (she was 14 1/2 when pts), she would sometimes wake up having pooped in her bed at night, but stiil knew when she needed to go during the day, she never lost bladder control, we decided it was time to let her go when she seemed to stop enjoying food and was having difficulty walking more than a few hundred yards, she started having digestive upsets too.

I`m sure it is perfectly possible for there to be sudden changes in health as you have described, and from reading your post it does seem that you are coming to the conclusion that she is nearing the end of her time and personally I would not contadict that opinion, as desperately sad as it is.

Only you can know what Lucy's quality of life is at the moment, I think it is wonderful of you to take on an "oldie" and make the last years of her life the kind that all of these beautiful dogs deserve, and I truly do know how hard it is to have to make that final decision for them. My heart goes out to you and Lucy at this difficult time.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Cal had a similar sudden collapse last August. Laser therapy brought her right back. I don't know if you want to subject Lucy to the clinic visits though. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Cal had a similar sudden collapse last August. Laser therapy brought her right back. I don't know if you want to subject Lucy to the clinic visits though. :grouphug

Hey thanks. Can you tell me how many treatments Cal had? In the past some of my hounds had chiropractic adjustments and cold laser by a doc who does home visits (which is wonderful when you have seniors). Lucy is kind of a physically jumpy / skittish dog so I pretty much ruled out adjustments but cold laser isn't intrusive.

And thanks Scullysmum - Lucy may very well be suffering from the same or similar condition. I am so sorry about Sadi. Hugs.

Guest MnMDogs

We lost our geriatric hound Mork very suddenly. He had chronic back end weakness which we managed for a few years. He was wobbly and gimpy but managed just fine (he would still play nightly and awkwardly gallop with his wayward back end doing what it wanted). Then one day he suddenly appeared to be in significant pain related to a front leg.

It was likely cancer in the fluid of his elbow joint, and we let him go at the vet shortly after the onset of the increased pain. It's likely not what you want to hear, but you're describing something very similar to what happened with our sweet sweet old man... A very slow and manageable decline over the years. Then a sudden turn with new and different intense pain we couldn't manage, literally overnight :(

I'm thinking of you and your girl.

ETA- it may simply be something As simple as a tweaked muscle, I'm sorry to put such a negative spin...still reeling at the loss of my old guy

What medications is she on? May consider gabapentin and robaxin

Edited by MnMDogs

You mentioned that you have trouble giving her a Tramadol tablet but, im sure it will help an ailing achy body feel better Another medication that would help immensely would be gabapentin. I have seen old hound act younger once their body adjusts to the medication. I would start with a low dose-perhaps 100mgs 1-2 times daily then, work up to a higher dose every 8 hours. They will get wonky if you titrate the dose slowly. Both of these medications can be compounded into a chewable tablet or a flavored liquid--Wedgewood pharmacy is one such company (as is Diamond, SBH, Roadrunner). Your vet should be comfortable calling those in for you without having to see your oldie so long as they have your hounds current weight--those are both very safe medications. :-)

Hey thanks. Can you tell me how many treatments Cal had? In the past some of my hounds had chiropractic adjustments and cold laser by a doc who does home visits (which is wonderful when you have seniors). Lucy is kind of a physically jumpy / skittish dog so I pretty much ruled out adjustments but cold laser isn't intrusive.

She went every 2-3 days for a few visits, then was able to maintain for a few months at once/week. She got into trouble in November, but I saw it coming, and just did an extra visit or two until she stabilized again. After her August collapse, I added Tramadol and Methocarbamol to the Metacam she was already getting. I didn't stop them even after she was back on her feet.

ETA: I'm fairly sure it wasn't the extra meds that helped her in August because we'd used them before without that much success. I credit the laser treatment for her recovery.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Alichou

My Dante (13.5) is going through a similar situation. Back end weakness and favouring back right leg. X-rays of spine, hips and legs ruled out osteo and confirmed arthritis and probably some degenerative disease too. We were on tramadol but since Dante has allergic bronchitis I found the cough suppressant in it was a bit much for him. We started 100mg of gabapentin this evening and hoping it works. You could try buying a dog sling or back end harness to help walk her around and stabilize her. Sending lots of well wishes and positive vibes her way!

And thanks Scullysmum - Lucy may very well be suffering from the same or similar condition. I am so sorry about Sadi. Hugs.

I'm sorry if my reply sounded very negative, the treatment that Greypoopon has suggested is certainly not

something that my vet offered. I think that may be because I am in the UK, anyways I hope that you find some way to make Lucy comfortable for however long she has and please give her a gentle hug from across the pond.

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

We lost our geriatric hound Mork very suddenly. He had chronic back end weakness which we managed for a few years. He was wobbly and gimpy but managed just fine (he would still play nightly and awkwardly gallop with his wayward back end doing what it wanted). Then one day he suddenly appeared to be in significant pain related to a front leg.

It was likely cancer in the fluid of his elbow joint, and we let him go at the vet shortly after the onset of the increased pain. It's likely not what you want to hear, but you're describing something very similar to what happened with our sweet sweet old man... A very slow and manageable decline over the years. Then a sudden turn with new and different intense pain we couldn't manage, literally overnight :(

I'm thinking of you and your girl.

ETA- it may simply be something As simple as a tweaked muscle, I'm sorry to put such a negative spin...still reeling at the loss of my old guy

What medications is she on? May consider gabapentin and robaxin

Many thanks to everyone for their honest and helpful replies. Nothing negative here. Eventually we all have to come to terms with saying goodbye ... and every dog is different.

Carol, I recall reading your post about Mork in February. :cry1 I am so very, very sorry. I know how much it hurts. Actually, my Lucy is also black and looks quite similar to Mork - and she is a September baby. And, like Mork, I suspect something ugly is also going on in her shoulder or elbow joint - although there is no swelling as of yet.

Lucy's decline was just so incredibly fast and furious. It was like "wow, what just happened?" Clearly, it is painful for her to walk so she remains in her bed. Like you, I can deal with a wonky hind end but if it's osteo (which I now suspect it is) - I just can't let her languish and suffer. Also she is NOT receptive to taking pills so, unfortunately, palliative pain meds are not really an option.

I got another 1/2 Tramadol in Lucy this a.m. and my pet sitter did another essential oils treatment on her this afternoon. We talked about Lucy at length. I am a "quality of life" and "better a day too soon than a day too late" person.

So out of love and compassion, I am going to say goodbye to my sweet Lucy tomorrow. Thanks everyone. :brokenheart

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

My heart goes out to you and your precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MnMDogs

My heart is breaking for you. It feels like our oldsters will be here forever, and I'm so very sorry you have to say goodbye.

Thanks again everyone. My sweet Lucy crossed the bridge quietly and peacefully yesterday. (And unless there was a technical error) the vet decided to administer a second injection saying that Lucy, 14-1/2+, had a strong heart. Such an unconditional love affair we all have with our beloved greyhounds. xxxooxox

Could you please add Lucy to the list of April bridge angels? Thanks.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Oh, I am so sorry. I am sitting here watching my fragile senior nap in the sun and the thought of having him leave me makes me cry. Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

So sorry to read this. I have a very senior girl myself and, although she is overall healthy, her body is starting to fail her. I know she can't stay with us forever, but I certainly wish she could.

Run free, Lucy.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Godspeed, Lucy. Gentle hugs to those you've left behind.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Alichou

I'm so so sorry for your loss. Lucy is now out of pain, at peace and close by your side no matter what. Sending lots pf prayers your's and Lucy's way!

I am so very sorry. The old ones really are so incredibly special and you shared the most wonderful life with Lucy :heart I'm so sorry for how you are missing her now. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.