An American In Germany With A Spanish Greyhound...

Guest CaityRose

Guest CaityRose

Hi all!

Hope it's okay that she's not a racing greyhound.. I have a retired hunting spanish greyhound, or Galga named Zoey. We rescued her from Spain where they use Galgos to hunt hares, then treat them terribly when they are no longer useful. I won't go into details here, just search a bit. Our girl, Zoey, was very shy and timid, and easily frightened. She is getting better since we got her 7 months ago, but there are still things she is still afraid of...like my husband! She just can't get past a roadblock in her head that tells her to be afraid of men. Poor baby.

Anyway, I could talk about her forever, she is my baby, but now a little about me. I'm married to a soldier who just deployed. We have lived in Germany for 1 year, and we are from NJ/NY originally. I studied photojournalism, but currently work in a school as a teacher/student aid. I also make dog toys and other little stuffed creatures and sell them on etsy.

Thanks for stopping by and reading :)

The princess...

1503468_10201575119443085_1416744838_n.j

544561_10200907896642932_594475825_n.jpg

Edited by CaityRose

What a pretty girl!

There are quite a few GT members with Galgos. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Welcome! I'm originally from NY (Suffolk County, Long Island), but have lived in Northern Virginia for the past 20 years. We adopted our first galga Beatrix in October. We got her from SAGE via FBM. She looks a bit like your Zoey too.

10010780_10203520941648258_508393986_o_z

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest CaityRose

Aw I see. It makes me happy when there are other galgo owners, especially in the states. Everyone usually gives me a blank stare when I explain her breed.

Guest GalgoMom

Welcome CaityRose and Zoey!

I have a brindle and white galgo boy named Jersey. We live in Massachusetts.

He used to be afraid of the couch. Took him over a year to come downstairs and relax. Now? Not so much :lol

013_zps14511271.jpg

Guest CaityRose

oh my, how did you come up with the name Jersey? ;) Just my favorite place...lol. He is adorable!!! It takes a lot of convincing to get Zoey to stay on the couch, hopefully she will learn too.

Guest GalgoMom

That's the name he came with. The adoption group said he knew his name, and it was best not to change it. That was ok with me, because I went to college in NJ anyway. Poor guy - everyone thinks he is a girl, though. The name doesn't help. I should have named him Diesel or something really masculine!

He has changed a lot and come a long way. He was very fearful when we adopted him. We'll have him two years in May.

Guest CaityRose

Watching the changes is the most rewarding part. Obviously, it would be ideal if she didn't have fears, but each time that she shows she's braver and more comfortable is just awesome.

Glad to hear about the knowledge of galgos on here. I had racing greyhounds since I was a child, and had not heard of the galgo until about a year ago.

Edited by CaityRose

Hello! I live with a galgo named Iker. I brought him home from Spain a couple of years ago. He is afraid of lots of things but is growing less afraid every day.

gallery_1830_3333_107463.jpg

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Another picture of Iker.

gallery_1830_3333_42144.jpg

In the picture above, Iker takes my breath away. Just look at that face!!

Something interested him outside :lol He is very expressive. You should see him when he is angry :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Welcome! She's lovely. I hope to have a galgo someday. I live in a Latino neighborhood and have heard a few people ask, "Galgo?" when I walk by with Myka.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Welcome from Delaware. We used to live in New York, then New Jersey, and, now Delaware. Your girlie is beautiful.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Downtownhoundz

She's lovely, I love the cow doggies. My girl is coming over April 20th! She also is black & white!

Edited by Downtownhoundz

This is such a happy thread. Welcome to GT, your girl is beautiful (and in very good company) :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.