Mounting At Dog Parks... Frustrations.

Guest ayimera

Guest ayimera

So I made a thread a week or so ago about our first trip to the dog park. I thought maybe it was a fluke that 2 dogs would not leave our 2-year-old girl alone whenever they were near her. Constant invasive licking of her backside and eventual persistent mounting that would make her uncomfortable enough to yelp and cry. It happened again on Sunday when we took her to a different park near my father's place in Warrenton, VA. There weren't many dogs, but one bulldog just wouldn't leave her be. It started out as play, and it looked like she was having fun, but then he started to try and mount and wouldn't stop until his owner's came over and removed him. We left immediately after. I love taking her to the park, and she seems to enjoy herself when dogs aren't trying to jump her bones. I read somewhere that it might be because of an infection? But she doesn't show any signs really of having a UTI. Should we have her checked anyway? Do greyhounds normally get dominated by other dogs like this? I'm sad and frustrated... I just want her to have a good time!

I wouldn't think a UTI would cause that much interest.

Your girl is new, yes? Has it been a short time since her spay? Maybe there's some lingering aroma of girliness that will fade with more time.

Where those dogs male and had they been fixed?

Normally mounting would be a behavioral/dominance issue.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd avoid the dog parks!

Especially when other dog owners allow their males to mount your girl. How rude.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

When my grey had UTI last summer, other dogs showed an intense interest in her backside (licking etc by more than one dog) and I felt compelled to keep her away from the park until she was healed. There was no mounting, however. She had been off the track for two years at that point.

Guest Lillypad

I can well relate to your ill feelings. This was something that I had to deal with too. Sadly, we simply stopped going to public dogs parks. I have "so far" been lucky enough to find areas to run her safely from other dogs. Is she recently off the track and recently spayed. As macoduck suggests she may still be emitting an appealing odor. Also, (now this is just my theory others more experienced can elaborate) but i think the testosterone that the femals are injected with during their race career may play a factor in this unwanted affection from other dogs. I have had females mount my girl as well as males. Also another factor may be that your girl is submissive and an easy target for more dominate dogs. This is the case with my girl. My vet says she is a "target" so to speak. From what my trainer has witnessed with Lilly in certain scenarios she feels this could very well be true. In any case mounting for whatever reason is serious and can be VERY dangerous for your girl. Best to find a safer place for her exercise. Best of Luck.

The amount of testosterone they receive is miniscule. If that were true all female dogs would be mounted by males. Dogs have tried to mount my 3 greys and all 3 of them growled and let them know if wasn't appropriate. I also grabbed the dog off.

If she's been spayed recently, perhaps you could wait for a few weeks before going back to the park. Many dogs at dog parks behave badly due to their owners' neglect and let them run uncontrolled. I only go to dog parks during times when there are few others there. If dogs are there that behave badly, the pups and I stand still and just wait until the owner collects their dog (usually, I either step in between or will grab their collar. This usually works and the owner gets the message and leaves us alone. If the owner replies that their dog just wants to say hi, I will tell them this behaviour is aggressive in a dog's world and they risk getting into a dog fight if the behaviour continues. Most just blow me off, but I don't care. Sometimes you can't fix stupid.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest rarmstrong

I'd avoid the dog parks!

Especially when other dog owners allow their males to mount your girl. How rude.

Yeaaa. When I first got Willis, I was dreaming of the day I could take him to the dog park (once he was more confident and adjusted). After reading the posts here, and seeing other people allowing very rude bx from their dogs on the street, it's the last place I want to take him.

I'm sorry that you and your pup had to experience that :(

Edited by rarmstrong

I don't believe in taking them to dog parks. Take her to an enclosed yard somewhere else and let her run, if she wants to. That will correct the problem immediately.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest ayimera

Thanks for all the comments. It's been at least 2-3 months since her spay as we picked her up in January and she was fostered for several weeks before that, so I don't think it's that. We might just have to find another place to take her to run or go during off-peak hours sadly :( I'm always worried about manhandling someone else's dog, but it might have to come to that if it happens again. We might do another dog park test run (punny) in a week or so and see if it happens again. If it does, I think we'll definitely steer clear. She is a very submissive dog (all the dogs were male and I think were neutered), so that might have something to do with it.

Guest BiggiesOwner

We've had trouble with this a bit with our 2 year old male as well - not exactly mounting but more other dogs trying to "climb/wrestle" with Biggie when he has no interest in that type of play. Luckily for us Biggie is very good at letting the other dogs know he isn't happy about it (growls/snarling if need be) - they seem to get the hint pretty quickly!

She is a very submissive dog (all the dogs were male and I think were neutered), so that might have something to do with it.

I'll admit that I'm not up on dog behavior theories, but that could be it. Like I said, I don't have issues with Beatrix and Celeste getting mounted by my barn owner's Boxers. Beatrix is a broodie who doesn't take any crap. Celeste is our resident alpha.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I take my boys to dog parks, but I usually have my Halt! spray handy. Haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood) but Halt! is more humane than pepper spray and less dangerous than having to physically break up a fight.

I agree with the others, though, that many greyhounds are not 'dog park dogs.' It's not worth it if your girl isn't having a good time.

My first thought was that it was due to a recent spay as well, but it sounds like that's probably not the issue. It could be worth a vet check, especially if you see signs of a UTI. Otherwise, I think the dog park just may not be a good option for you, unless you can find a time to go when those dogs that tend to mount her aren't there.

FWIW, mounting is not always a dominance behavior (and as a total aside, I get so tired of seeing is automatically described as such :grad , end digression :P). Dogs often mount because they're aroused or to initiate play. Many dogs tolerate it, or take it as the invitation to play that it can be, many do not. However, obviously if it's happening continuously and it's making your girl uncomfortable you want to put a stop to it (frankly the other dogs' owners should be, but that's another story).

As for other possible reasons why they could be mounting her, it may just be something about her. There's one girl who comes to the doggie daycare where I work who gets mounted constantly by many of the males. She doesn't really react to it, but it's so bad that she has to be turned out in smaller, female heavy playgroups. The head trainer has actually theorized that not all of her "parts" got removed during her spay, like maybe one of her ovaries got left in, but who knows. There are also other pairs of dogs who we know need to be rotated (one gets a time out while the other plays) because one of the two just hones in on and mounts the other one obsessively. It's by the way not a male specific behavior. Some females mount as well (my own greyhound, Violet does) and there are definitely degrees - some who do it occasionally as a part of normal play and some who are rather obsessive about it.

Bottom line, there may be nothing you can do about it except choose to go at times when the male dogs aren't there, or avoid the dog park altogether. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Clarice had dogs constantly interested in sniffing her intently. While she WAS recently spayed, it was more than that. She has a bit of extra skin around her vulva that caused fluids to get trapped and caused some sores.

I think it's worth a trip to the vet just to be sure there's not something medical going on.

We used to go to the dog park, but after Fritz was picked on by a dog whose owner would not control his dog, we stopped going because it stopped being enjoyable. My parents fenced in their entire acre, so, we just go there to let the dogs run. It's like having our own private dog park :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I wouldn't be to concerned about mounting. Just part of dog behaviour. Some are into it, some aren't. And I don't think it is so bad for a dog to get mounted, although it does seem to upset the OP's dog which is unfortunate. Maybe as she builds confidence it won't bother her as much or she will learn to speak up for herself.

But there is definitely something to the idea that some dogs being more desireable targets and its not always females. I walk with a number of Greyhounds on a regular basis and if there is ever any mounting attempts they will alway be on my Hester - an oversized male. All others are ignored. Strange dogs will follow him obsessively, lick his privates, and than try to "climb aboard". Submissiveness does not seem to have anything to do with it. Hester either ignores other dogs or exhibits very assertive dominant type behaviours - he simply does not back down until the other dog shows some calming signals. In fact the dogs that do attempt to mount Hester only get the opportunity because they have shown some submission or calming signals first. Otherwise all they will get is the front end, usually with teeth showing.

The interesting part is that when he was new to us, the dogs that tried to mount him were met with a terrifying display of teeth and growling that didn't stop until they fully retreated. But over the last two years it bothers him less and less and now he simply offers a half hearted growl to the offender which usually gets the message accross. He doesn't even bother with small dogs who on several occasions have successfully mounted either of his lower rear legs, somewhere around the hock. He'll just keep walking, dragging the little fellows along. There is even a 14 year old Lab with arthritis that is too weak to mount Hester but contents himself with standing beside Hester and air humping.

While the OP's situation seems to require intervention, I have never intervened. I leave to Hester to detemine what is appropriate and what is not. He seems to know so much more about dogs than I do.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Lillypad

As NeylasMom said... ( Sorry... I can't figure out the quote thingy.... )

"FWIW, mounting is not always a dominance behavior (and as a total aside, I get so tired of seeing is automatically described as such :grad , end digression :P). Dogs often mount because they're aroused or to initiate play. Many dogs tolerate it, or take it as the invitation to play that it can be, many do not."

I will apologize... mounting may have more meaning than dominance. However, my personal experiences have been horrific. Therefore, any dog mounting for any reason is a RED FLAG for ME. As a result I have zero tolerance and am VERY QUICK to remove my dog. Sorry...... I shouldn't lump all dogs in the "dominance" category, point taken. Forgive me but "once bitten twice shy"

Edited by Lillypad

Don't forget the thin skin and virtual non-hair of our greyhounds. Nails gripping from a dog who is mounting could be catastrophic.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I know ahead of time that my dogs don't like to be mounted because they've growled in the past which is why I get the other dog off right away, rather than risk anything more than a growl.

If I'm not quick enough though, I will let them work it out on their own...but some dogs don't get the message. Anyone know why?

Are they just so aroused that corrections don't phase them? There's a lab we often meet on our walks who is very persistent and can be a real pita.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks NM! As a new dog owner, that was actually very educational :)

Glad it was informative. :) I knew none of this until I started working in the day camp. You learn a LOT about dog behavior monitoring and managing 30+ dogs at a time. Which is of course why I'm doing it in the first place. :P

As NeylasMom said... ( Sorry... I can't figure out the quote thingy.... )

I will apologize... mounting may have more meaning than dominance. However, my personal experiences have been horrific. Therefore, any dog mounting for any reason is a RED FLAG for ME. As a result I have zero tolerance and am VERY QUICK to remove my dog. Sorry...... I shouldn't lump all dogs in the "dominance" category, point taken. Forgive me but "once bitten twice shy"

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was honing in on your comment. I just see people make that statement a lot in this forum and it's totally understandable that people wouldn't know that there are other reasons for the behavior. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences related to dog humping. My experience is that at least with generally well socialized dogs, most dogs can work it out on their own. But greyhounds, not having had much exposure to other breeds are much less likely to be tolerant of humping so when it comes to my own dogs, I'm very careful, and I think it's wise that other people be as well regarding all dog-dog interactions.

If I'm not quick enough though, I will let them work it out on their own...but some dogs don't get the message. Anyone know why?

Are they just so aroused that corrections don't phase them? There's a lab we often meet on our walks who is very persistent and can be a real pita.

I don't know why some dogs are so persistent. I imagine with some it's hormonal - I do notice some of the adolescent males are more obsessed (and obsessed really seems to be the only word to describe it). We can tell them to stop, give them time outs, physically remove them, they get told off by other dogs, but they just do not care. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lillypad

Yes, greytpups I have wondered about this too. I truly have tried to understand what happened in our case. But I can say this, looking back if we had let the dogs sort it out it may have been just that "sorted out". In our case we intervened and this is what set the "mounting" dog off. He resented our interruption and things went very bad from that point. When folks say they pull the dogs apart, makes my hair stand up. I guess what I am saying is you just never know how it can play out, after all they have minds of their own LOL. Result.... I just get my dog away from mounting dogs quickly and quietly, regardless if it is a play thing or not. LOL

Edited by Lillypad

Guest jetska

As an owner of a persistent humper, some dogs are just obsessive by nature, and it may not just be humping they are obsessive with. Mine for instance is obessive with toys/fetching as well. He is the kind of dog who focusses on something and is very hard to distract. If he shows signs of wanting to hump a dog at the park I am there straight away with the leash. He tends to hold his body in a very erect posture and approach the dog side-on whilst looking sideways at it showing the whites of his eyes. If you can read the other dogs like that then you should be able to shoo them away before they get to the hump.

Once he latches on the other dog needs to really display teeth and snap to get him to let go... he has a very strong 'grip'. It requires a human to come and grab his legs and force them apart to release the dog if the dog does not stand up for itself. He mainly does it if he is being 'excluded' from play - I guess it's his way of getting involved. He started humping other dogs VERY early, probably at about 3 months! He was sterilized at 6 months which is the earliest vets will do it but it didn't change anything.

As for the comments about claws, at least in his case, it's not claws he uses but his forelegs. His wrists, paws and claws are folded underneath the dog in question. Scratches are possible but I think it's a bit dramatic to suggest that it could be 'catastrophic'.

Guest Lillypad

Sorry Meant to include this with my other post.

To Ayimera, I understand your frustration and you are not alone. It can be so hard to find a place to run our hounds. There is a park here, acres large, treed, rolling hills, borders on a lake, it is truly idyllic. It kills me that we don't feel safe there. I wonder sometimes if along with licensing, muzzles should be mandatory, would this help with safely???? My advice is this FWIW, if you feel at all uncomfortable remove your dog, don't wait for others to adjust their dogs behavior, it may not happen.

I will share what I eventually did to avoid dog parks. I found a couple of nearby baseball diamonds. I bought a roll of plastic snow fence (you know the orange stuff) cut pieces to fit across entrances to the diamond. There are 4 or 5 small openings in the diamonds in our area. The openings are about 4 or 5 feet wide and I used velcro fasteners to secure them to the posts. I asked permission and was told "if I leave it like I found it" everything is fine. Which is funny, cause I always take a garbage bag with me and end up cleaning up garbage left over from games. When there are no baseball games on we have a happy and safe play time. You can have other greys join you, teach your grey to retrieve and/or use a teasing lure to exercise your hound. I have found that my dog doesn't really need another dog to "play" with or exercise with, I can entertain her well enough. Also, you should if you can, connect with a greyhound group in your area, they often have playdates.

http://teamunruly.com/?p=3281 Here is a site that tells how to make a flirt pole. We have a ton of fun with ours. This is something you could never take to a park, all the dogs would want to be in on the fun. LOL

Edited by Lillypad

He mainly does it if he is being 'excluded' from play - I guess it's his way of getting involved.

This is a very good observation. I do see this a lot with some of the dogs in camp.

And I agree about the catastrophic bit. ;)