Acupuncture/chiropractic

Guest bubbagum

Guest bubbagum

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed in the recent past. I didn't see it on the list. Rock is 10, and today is having trouble putting his right rear foot down correctly. He has shown weakness in his rear end recently as well. Our vet saw him awhile back and had no solution. He just mentioned that it is usually nerve related. I am trying to get an appt. with a chiropractic/acupuncture vet but wondered if anyone else has been through this and has suggestions.

I have used acupuncture in the past for arthritis and hind end weakness for my dogs with excellent results. It doesn't work for all dogs, but most benefit, and it is certainly worth trying. I have no experience with a chiropractic treatment.

My Larry who is 12+ years gets a chiropractic adjustment every month. His chiropractor is canine certified - I would not go to a chiropractor who isn't. Also, Larry was checked out by a neurologist before he started treatments to make sure there was no other underlying condition that the adjustments could make worse. At each visit, I make sure to tell the chiropractor that he needs to be gentle.

Note, Larry also has a corn on one of his feet and he also had a sprained toe on one of his back feet, both of these ended up changing his "gait" which is why I originally started the treatments. Also, it is important to note that when he started treatments, he was doing OK, there was no serious issue. IMHO, the treatments serve to keep him more limber and able to get around better.

I tried chiro with Rex. Went to a AVCA veterinarian who was also an instructor at the college here. We went twice and he manhandled Rex so much he had to be muzzled which should never have happened. I know it was one bad apple, but considering all the steps I took to find what I thought was an excellent choice (vet + certified chiro + instructor) it soured me on chiro.

After the fact my vet told me that acupuncture had a much better proven clinical track record and if he chose alternative therapy it would be his first choice and I've seen it work wonders on friends dogs. I kick myself 10 years later for not going that route.

Of course some think both are a scam.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I have used both in different circumstances, with good results with both.

In a case of injury I go for acupuncture instead of chiropractic.

Massage is also wonderful!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've used therapeutic massage, chiropractic, and acupuncture with good results for both myself and my dogs over the years.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My vet does chiro and they also do acupuncture in her office, she sure helped Carl when he tweaked his neck last November. I've got a friend who has been taking her 14+ year old chow/coyote mix there for acupuncture for years. She always walks better after a treatment. However, as Pam said, some would say both are a scam.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest bubbagum

Thank you for all your responses. We have an appointment with a vet who does both procedures, so will see what she recommends. We had taken our other pup to a chiropractor for another issue and didn't find that it helped,so we are trying another. I have used chiropractors for a number of years and found some very helpful and others, not...

Guest bubbagum

Our visit to the chiro/acupuncturist DVM went very well. She was very gentle with him. My husband and I both saw immediate results in Rock. His posture is different and he's moving about more easily. We've made another appointment in a month's time to evaluate him and have both

procedures done if she feels he'll benefit. She did mention a dark red tongue color and asked us to watch to see if it changes. She mentioned that it could be due to diet.

Very glad to hear that you had a good experience and that your sweetie is feeling good!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad it went well! Our Asta had regular acupuncture for the last 3 years of her life, and it made a HUGE positive difference in her quality of life (and I fully believe it prolonged it).

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.