Tramadol

Tramadol is bitter. I break the pill in half and put it in a plain capsule.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yep, go with the capsule, Tramadol is a great drug but nasty stuff. If you use cosequine or knows someone who does, it fits nicely in the leftover capsules.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I wrap it in a bit of Pill Pocket (not the whole thing) and pill them.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Down the throat and then a treat to follow.

When you're putting a pill down the throat, to get it far enough it feels like you're stuffing your hand halfway down their neck. No way can they spit it out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wrap it in a mound of cheese.

This is what I've been doing with the tramadol and all the other pills Nadir takes and he has never spit any back out. I wrap each tablet in a tiny piece of white american cheese and he just gobbles them down, one after the other.

Guest Lillypad

I had great success with a product called Greenies pill pockets. They have a strong scent which really appealed to my grey. Also, I am NOT CERTAIN about Tramadol, but some medications SHOULD NEVER be broken up. Check with your vet/pharmacy before breaking up this medication.

I had great success with a product called Greenies pill pockets. They have a strong scent which really appealed to my grey. Also, I am NOT CERTAIN about Tramadol, but some medications SHOULD NEVER be broken up. Check with your vet/pharmacy before breaking up this medication.

Tramadol should be OK - Twiggy's oncologist has me giving her 1 and a half tablets twice a day (she has been getting this for quite a few months with no trouble).

As for pilling with it, I take a bit of flour tortilla, spread it with peanut butter put her pills inside and fold it over, making sure the peanut butter completely seals around the pills. Works great here, but Twiggy isi a champion pill taker (she even tried really hard to eat a plain Tramadol but in the end, just couldn't make herself do it).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Fenway will pick a pill out of any treat and spit it out. I have to shove them down the hatch and then rub his throat to get him to swallow. That's the only way that I can get tramadol in him.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Down the throat and then a treat to follow.

When you're putting a pill down the throat, to get it far enough it feels like you're stuffing your hand halfway down their neck. No way can they spit it out.

This :bgeorge

Sid takes daily Tramadol. We vary the 'wrapping' so he's keen. At the moment, cheese balls made with finely grated strong cheddar are working very well. Sometimes it's meat past, or liver sausage, or a bread-and-butter sandwich. Occasionally, I have resorted to mild Italian salami (which is sticky) or prosciutto (also tends to be a tiny bit sticky).

It also all works better if you give a piece to another dog first!

I do sometimes just stuff a pill down a throat but I don't like doing it. It upsets them and I run the risk of making Jeffie vomit, which he does at the drop of a hat.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

You can also get Tramadol compounded with flavoring. I know there is at least one GT-er who does this. Glad the PB worked tho!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.