To E-Vet?

HELP!

We had a scuffle over toys. Ozzie's right ear got "scalped"...there is a thin layer of fur detached from the ear.

Is it stitchable??

11360970175_98cd17963a.jpg

owie by krissn333, on Flickr

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I think probably. Helpful, eh? ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We're here at the e-vet. I am shaking. My poor buddy :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest kkaiser104

This happened with Teddi and I didn't take him to the evet. In hindsight, I should have. It took weeks to close. I ended up finding success in liquid skin

Your vet may suggest ways to try and keep him from shaking his head, such as some kind of wrap. Gracie's ear was taped over her head so blood wouldn't pool and cause a big hematoma.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

11361454985_f37f44743a.jpg

owie2 by krissn333, on Flickr

Guest Bean_Scotch

For ear injuries...I use a maxipad on the ear with neosporin or other antibiotic ointment and then wrap the ear to the head in vet wrap. Works awesomly! The ear was healed in 2 days and I could leave it unwrapped!

Nice tip, thanks!

We're still waiting to see the vet. She was just going into surgery when we got here :(

Guest carriej

Freeman came up with litterally ribbon ears... There was a skirmish in the van on the way to Canada. The vet who looked them all over gave me glue for the edges (although he still had a few little slits in his ear where the skin was missing) and antibiotic cream.

Oh, I'm sorry, Kristin!!!!

If it makes you feel better, the first time we met James he had 9 stitches in the back of his ear. He walked into this foster home and said "hello!" to the resident dog by licking his penis. Resident dog did NOT like that so he let James know.

I hope Ozzie feels better!

Ouch! Just had that happen here last week. The ear was slit across the lower "seam". The vet was hesitant to stitch it, because it was shredded in places. He used tissue glue, wrapped it, and taped the ear to the head. It has been a week, and it is looking good. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Hope Ozzie is ok.

Ruby had the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago and off to the vet we went....

But... He would not stitch or glue it .... Just sent us home, saying to keep it clean.

I used an extra large human bandage...just placed it in top of the ear and gently wrapped the sticky ends around and under the ear, where they stuck to each other. Worked well.

Most of the skin flap remained healthy and healed up...some of the edges just curled up, died and eventually fell off.

She does have a scar on her ear, but it's not very big.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It was basically scalped...getting a better look at it last night at the vet, I think it was a toenail injury, not an injury from teeth. The thin layer of skin with the fur was a flap that they were able to pull back together and stitch up. His ear is wrapped to his head right now.

I cancelled my plans for the day to be at home with him-if he's not asleep he is rubbing his head on everything trying to get the wrap off. I wish I could make him understand that it'll get better if he just leaves it alone.

For ear injuries...I use a maxipad on the ear with neosporin or other antibiotic ointment and then wrap the ear to the head in vet wrap. Works awesomly! The ear was healed in 2 days and I could leave it unwrapped!

Do you have a photo of this? Please and Thank You

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I told the vet about the maxi pad solution last night and she was THRILLED :lol

So if this bandage makes it to Monday that's what we will do. If it doesn't, we will do it sooner :lol

How is his ear bandaged? Putting vet wrap around his whole head to keep the ear flat against his head may work. Or it may make him that much more miserable. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MnMDogs

When Macy shredded her ears on thorns, a friend suggested cutting a pair of tights and fitting it around her head. That worked pretty well, maybe give that a try?

The blood spatter from the head shaking was pretty awful, and we just needed that day or so to keep the ears covered andimmobile

He is sporting a vet wrap babushka :lol

He's not happy about it but I'm sure if it was unwrapped he would be shaking his head and pawing at it.

Instructions were to keep it on until Monday if at all possible but she said if he's messing with it a TON, we can take it off sooner. Should be fun.

The pantyhose thing is a GREAT idea. Keeping that in my arsenal.

We've used Surgilast for ear wounds before but it doesn't stay on there tight enough...