Thyme Is Seizing! At Emergency Now...

Guest DeniseL

If you haven't already done so ... time to make an appointment with the neurologist. You need to get rectal valium or some other cluster-buster.

Most people don't realize that dogs (and people) can die from seizures. It's called "status epilepticus".

I didn't mention it before but, there are some great facebook groups for canine epilepsy and there is also epil-k9 email group and web site. These are great resources.....

http://canine-epilepsy.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9991858369/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28498589557/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogswithepilepsy/

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the shaking affecting her entire body, or only one part? Sounds like a partial seizure to me. Henry gets those from time to time. He'll start spacing out, then one part of his body seizes (usually his back legs). He remains standing for the whole thing, and it lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Guest DeniseL

Was the shaking affecting her entire body, or only one part? Sounds like a partial seizure to me. Henry gets those from time to time. He'll start spacing out, then one part of his body seizes (usually his back legs). He remains standing for the whole thing, and it lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

No it was her whole body. She looked very stiff with her tail tucked and because I was hugging her and stroking her, I could feel her muscles tensing and contracting and her heart was beating really fast. Her whole body was trembling, but not convulsing, per say. Mind you I have never really witnessed an actual seizure, only the tail end of the one she had last week...so I don't have much t compare it to.

Guest DeniseL

A little spacy, but she knew what was going on around her. I didn't think she was disoriented. She was quiet and her face was still, but she knew me and where she was...

The back of her neck was tensing up like it did during the seizure but not nearly as severely...

This sounds like a possible "focal" or partial seizure (affecting only part of the brain) to me, but it is hard to tell as a lay person on the other side of the computer. It really needs to be described to your vet, and I would definitely get on the list for a neurology consult as soon as possible. You can always cancel it if this resolves itself.

A focal seizure can last for a minute or two and the dog never obviously loses consciousness. They sometimes progress to tonic-clonic (grand mal) but not always. Thyme may be less aware of you than you think during a focal seizure.

A few things:

Try to video episodes like this if you can. It will be very useful to your vet or neurologist. Also, if you search "focal" or "partial" seizures in dogs on Youtube quite a few videos come up that show the wide variations in what they can look like. Usually people have made these videos at the request of their vets.

Be cautious when holding a seizing dog because you can get hurt. Keep your hands away from her mouth in case her jaws snap shut, and be aware that you can get badly scratched by thrashing paws. It is human nature to try to hold the dog and comfort it because a seizure is distressing to watch, but the dog is not in pain during the seizure -- she's totally unconscious. You should immediately look at the time, make sure she is in a safe place on the floor away from furniture and electrical cords, put something under her head and stand back, if at all possible. Observing, filming and timing is very important. I also need to grab our "OMG Kit" - the cluster-buster Mary Jane is talking about.

I find it helpful to talk calmly throughout the seizure. I usually tell Caesar that everything will be OK soon, talk loving nonsense, and review our "seizure protocol" and the directions to the E-vet aloud in case he clusters. It calms me down and seems to be reassuring to Caesar as he recovers consciousness. As I said in the other thread, I have to remain completely still and at a safe distance from Caesar until about 30 minutes after the seizure, but that is obviously not always necessary.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Denise, if you decide to go see a neurologist, one of the best around is Dr. Glass at Red Bank. I took Onyx there many years ago. It's a bit of a ride, but so worth it. I've hear other people give him two thumbs up as well.

Give Thyme a kiss for me.

Another vote for Dr Glass. If you're in Northern NJ area I can highly recommend Dr Masicotte-AERA-Fairfield. She's my Shannon's neuro Dr. Love her.

Guest DeniseL

Denise, if you decide to go see a neurologist, one of the best around is Dr. Glass at Red Bank. I took Onyx there many years ago. It's a bit of a ride, but so worth it. I've hear other people give him two thumbs up as well.

Give Thyme a kiss for me.

Another vote for Dr Glass. If you're in Northern NJ area I can highly recommend Dr Masicotte-AERA-Fairfield. She's my Shannon's neuro Dr. Love her.

Ok, I made an appointment with Dr. Eagleson at VSEC for Monday at 10am....then I came home and saw this and called RedBank. Dr Glass has an appointment on Monday also...what to do, what to do??! Aggghhhh. I guess Dr. Glass knows greyhounds well...but it looks like Dr. Eagleson specializes in seizure management....I just want to make the best decision for her. She seems ok tonight, btw.

Just my opinion but I'd go with the vet who specializes in seizure management. That person will have the latest information and will be familiar with balancing meds and with all the various medication options.

Warm good wishes for you and your girl.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Ok, I made an appointment with Dr. Eagleson at VSEC for Monday at 10am....then I came home and saw this and called RedBank. Dr Glass has an appointment on Monday also...what to do, what to do??! Aggghhhh. I guess Dr. Glass knows greyhounds well...but it looks like Dr. Eagleson specializes in seizure management....I just want to make the best decision for her. She seems ok tonight, btw.

Red Bank has an onsite MRI. I think it's 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other. How about both? Then you have a '2nd' opinion.

{{{{{{{ Denise and Vinny }}}}}}

Guest DeniseL

RedBank is 1hr and 45min away, so we decided on Dr. Eagleson at VSEC. If I need a second opinion, it will be Dr. Glass. I will keep everyone posted, our appointment is Monday at 10am....I just got the insurance checks for the emergency appointment. Trupanion is losing money on my little girl. :(

I'm so sorry your girl is having seizures :( they SUCK. What really helped Rainey's was applying an ice pack to the middle of her back as soon as she started seizing. It really seemed to help reduce the length and severity of the seizure.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/icepack.htm

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest DeniseL

Is the appointment with a neurologist? Hard to tell from the posts.

yes, with a neurologist, Dr. Eagleson at VSEC in Levittown, Pa. Not quite sure what will happen, or if I will get anymore additional testing, but at the very least, I want some emergency meds in case of a bad seizure at home...

yes, with a neurologist, Dr. Eagleson at VSEC in Levittown, Pa. Not quite sure what will happen, or if I will get anymore additional testing, but at the very least, I want some emergency meds in case of a bad seizure at home...

Make a list of questions. Make sure that he/she prescribes some type of cluster-buster and if it is rectal Valium, make sure they show you how to use it. Find out the exact dosages of cluster-buster and when to use it (for example, with rectal valium I can do about 3 a day). Find out when you need to take to ER (how many seizures, lasting how long, how much time inbetween).

I made it clear to the neurologist that I wanted to manage the seizures at home and we approached everything from "how I handle" it. We also discussed when it was beyond what I could do and would need to head to ER.

Discuss all the medicines available even though they might wait a bit before starting (but, then again maybe not since there seems to be continuing seizure type activity happening). Get the pros and cons of all the medicines.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Guest DeniseL

If I didn't have to work, I'd meet you there (moral support). I feel like that's my second home!

Awwww, thank you!! She has seemed much more 'normal' the last few days, so I'm encouraged.

Make a list of questions. Make sure that he/she prescribes some type of cluster-buster and if it is rectal Valium, make sure they show you how to use it. Find out the exact dosages of cluster-buster and when to use it (for example, with rectal valium I can do about 3 a day). Find out when you need to take to ER (how many seizures, lasting how long, how much time inbetween).

I made it clear to the neurologist that I wanted to manage the seizures at home and we approached everything from "how I handle" it. We also discussed when it was beyond what I could do and would need to head to ER.

Discuss all the medicines available even though they might wait a bit before starting (but, then again maybe not since there seems to be continuing seizure type activity happening). Get the pros and cons of all the medicines.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Very helpful. Thank you!!

omg i'm so sorry! <3 keeping her and YOU in my thoughts.

If all is well, we are going to make the walk on sunday!! :)

Also, write down the plan of action and keep them around the house for quick access.

Thunder had 4 seizures Wed night and I totally spaced out at first what I should do. I do not have anything written down (and still don't).

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this. There is FULL MOON Sunday November 17. Some of the seizure kids are already feeling the effects of it.

I have my supplies lined up, extra frozen vegetable bags are ready, extra heavy towels ready, honey bottle and some munchies for when they are done. I may give them an extra phenobarbital if they look cross-eyed at me. Our former vet said to push a phenobarbital pill up the rear end if I don't have any valium sticks.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest DeniseL

two seizures this morning. They didn't seem real severe, but they were DEFINITLY seizures. I am waiting for the video to upload onto photobucket. We have an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow, but when do I need to take her into emergency? I called VSEC while she was seizing, as you can hear on the video, but the receptionist was not very helpful this morning lol and they didn't really do much for her that I couldn't do at home, so I don't want to take her unless its necessary...

I was trying to corral Izzy upstairs, they were playing together when she started seizing and Izzy was doing her jumping bean routine. Miami walked up to her and smelled her a little and was very gentle and seemed concerned. Then he went and laid back down. Later,when she had calmed down, Izzy came and laid quietly next to Thyme.

My poor DH doesn't do well in these situations. I keep much calmer, although I was racing around upstairs trying to get dressed to take her to emergency...

Ok, here is the link to the video:

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/419Denise/media/CAM00042_zpse2940610.mp4.html

In the video, you can see the first seizure, then she got better and she looked like she had to go out and pee. DH took her out and then had to carry her right back in and then the second seizure started. Now she is resting comfortably. We were going to do the Hamilton greyhound walk, but it looks like we will be sticking close to home....

That's why you need to get the rectal valium - that will usually keep the seizures from happening too close together. The concern is when the seizures start to happen right after the other as that can lead to a seizure that does not stop - that is life threatening. Your neurologist will tell you when you need to take Thyme into the ER but, usually it will be:

1. high temperature

2. seizure not stopping

3. seizures happening too close together

4. Post behavior bad and not getting better

If you have rectal valium, you might be able to prevent #3, it keeps the seizures to about every 4 hours or so (I have to check exact times but, I think that is the 1/2 life). If you have rectal valium, you can also try and give during a seizure (#2) but, this is tough. Even getting a small amount in can help to stop the seizure. For #1, if the seizures are not long or not happening often, usually the temperature does not elevate so this hopefully will be a non-issue. But, you do need to remember that the temperature goes up during seizures so having cold cloths might help. As to #4 on post behavior, Lucy's used to be very bad but, I started to give ice cream right after a seizure (even before I give the rectal valium) as the drop in sugar resulting from the contractions during a seizure will eventually be replaced, but I don't like to take the chance as low blood sugar can also lead to seizures.

When you take a dog into the ER, the procedures they will do are to give valium thru IV (or some other anti-convulsant) and to make sure the temperature is not spiking. Blood work does not usually show anything so no sense doing that. Although, you might want to get a thyroid workup every year.

Work out some scenarios tonight and discuss them all with the neurologist tomorrow. That way when a seizure happens you will have your checklist as to whether you can handle at home or have to go to ER. Seizures are scary but, you stay calm and work thru the procedure you set up. You learn to take it a day at a time .... (or sometimes ... a hour at a time). When a dog has a seizure - the next 24 hours are important - if they are cluster dogs, they might seize again within that period.