Hello From Northern Kentucky With My New Greyhound

Guest nagashade

Guest nagashade

My name is Scott and my wife's is Samantha. I've been browsing GreyTalk for for over two years now, learning and biding my time for the right opportunity and right grey. We almost adopted a lovable male over a year ago, but guess it wasn't meant to be because he was adopted by another family before we could finalize the paperwork. After that we got somewhat discourage and we lost motivation towards actively seeking a grey.

We've have several rescue cats (including a blind male with absolutely no eyes) so the right fit also meant with no prey drive. Also we have a 3 year old blue heeler with the name Ziva.

Well after moving into a new house (with 3 acres of yard) a few months back, that greyhound we've been waiting for unexpectingly stumbled into us a few days ago. Keeley has now found her forever home and has stolen our chair :D (and our :heart ). Now I will have to see about getting around to fencing part of that yard.

So now besides being just a silent member of this forum, I am now excited about truly being apart of a greyhound family. Thanks to everyone here for the great advice and stories, and I look forward to being a more active member of this community in the future.

7d162792-5c27-4e97-959c-c70c133b9249_zps

7716d215-9a38-4bc8-b8a4-42ed9d619533_zps

cf35068e-63c0-4362-9234-f2f5c3341a86_zps

Edited by nagashade

Congratulations and welcome to GT! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest nagashade

My wife sews and we just went to JoAnns yesterday for fleece, now my wife is saying we need some light clothes for around the house so Keeley doesn't get too hot...so back to JoAnn's later this week.

For Ziva, and now Keeley, they are also extra spoiled with their food. For morning they get their dry food, but for supper we make up a rice, vegetable and chicken/beef homemade food mix (in fact I was cutting some boiled chicken right before posting this reply and while I turned my head for a quick second Keeley snuck a piece off the counter....enjoying retirement :yay

Guest nagashade

She is now claiming that chair over anything else, whether it be her old dog bed or our king size bed....that chair is hers. Plus there is an ottoman that is the same material/size as the chair and it is pushed up against the "chair & a half", so she has body laying across both and enjoying life (will have to post a picture later).

Scott, she is a beauty! Congrats and welcome 'officially' to GT and the Greyhound community.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She is very pretty, love Brindles, or any color, congratulations!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

She and that chair were obviously made for each other. We'd love to see pics of Ziva and the cats, too. How are they all getting along? And how did Keeley "stumble" across you?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest nagashade

Mr. Rusty Peepers (10 yrs old)...when he was a kitten the rescue agency had to remove his eyes because of an infection, otherwise it would have spread to his brain

20130824_134721_zpsda4c3ab3.jpg

Ziva & Keeley sharing the bed

20131022_225735_zpsccec0852.jpg

All to herself this time, showing of a new outfit my wife sewed (as of writing this, Keeley is also getting a new hoodie sewn)

20131025_000857_zps1c80c9bf.jpg

Ziva wanting her ball thrown while Keeley is watching TV

20131026_111327_zps750333c1.jpg

Guest nagashade

We also have a very affectionate Siamese cat by the name Romeo, and a mix cat by the name Sissy. Both of these were abandoned along the road, but they have good homes now and loving life.

Like I stated earlier, Keeley was brought into our family through unorthodox circumstances. A coworker of mine found out that I loved greyhounds and was looking at adopting one after moving closer to work and in a much bigger house. His girlfriend had adopted Keeley back in April while working at a doggie daycare and was needing to find a new home because I believe she was moving/changing jobs. She didn’t want to return Keeley to the adoption group because she was friends with many of them and was afraid how they would look at her. (I don’t necessarily agree with how she handled it). Anyways, my coworker got me in touch with his girlfriend, who brought Keeley by the house a few days later for a week trial. With my experience from this forum and familiarity with several other local adoption groups, the way she handled it wasn’t exactly legal, no matter her good intentions or trying to avoid conflict with her friends. So admittedly, I researched and found the original adoption group and let them know what was going on. To say the least, they are far from happy with her, but I’m more concern about the well being of Keeley and the agency has the right/responsibility to know about Keeley’s whereabouts and well-being. The previous owner isn’t too thrilled with me right now, but she is going to sign away her rights and the agency will be doing a home visit in a few days, and have me sign new adoption paperwork. I do feel bad about getting her in trouble, but I tried to do what I thought was in the best interest of Keeley and also put myself in the shoes of the adoption agency, who would want to know about these circumstances with one of their rescues.

I also took Keeley to the vet on Thursday and she got a clean bill of health.

When Ziva first met Keeley it was around 8 pm outside the front door. Ziva definitely tensed up and was excited about this strange dog, Keeler was stress but tried to ignore Ziva (I wish their first meeting could have been in more neutral circumstances). Anyways, once the previous owners left, my wife and I decided to take Keeley and Ziva for a car ride, in hopes of the getting Ziva out of the house and into a more neutral territory where she would ease up some…it did work some) Over the course of the next day or so, Ziva had become more accepting of Keeley (except when Keeley jumped into our bed). Keeley on her part, just ignores Ziva (except for today when Ziva put a ball at my wife’s feet in the kitchen to play fetch. Keeley snuck up from behind grabbed the ball and ran into the living room. She plopped down on the rug and begun squeaking it, with Ziva looking at us, then Keeley, then us, then back at Keeley, with this look of MOMMY..Well Keeley wanted some more peace to play with HER new ball without the stares, so she ran into the bedroom and jumped on the bed. (was adorable) BTW, she is spoiled, I made a platform bed next to my side of the bed for her to sleep on. So now she has her very own bed next to me.

Our cats are doing great with Keeley. Sissy will rub up against her inside and outside of the house, with Keeley just giving a quick glance to see who is touching her, then returning her gaze to the woods/fields.