Salmon Oil

Guest Zizi

Does it help with dry skin? We have had Jerzi for 2 months. When we first got her she had some dry skin. Today when I brushed her there was so much it looked like she was covered in snow! I am feeding her iams green bag and she is doing fabulous on it. Not sure if her food is causing it or what.

I am wondering if I get some salmon oil and put it on her food will it help with this. Does a anyone use it for that reason? Does it do anything to there stools?

We have used it in the past and it does help. In our case, we tried saving some money by buying ours through Costco, but the results were dismal compared to when we used Grizzly Salmon Oil (Grizzly is the brand). We went back to Grizzly after using a small portion of the stuff from Costco.

A little goes a long way. We only gave it once a day, and in a smaller portion than directed. When we used the full amount as directed on the bottle, it was too rich for Rocket's stomach to handle and caused loose stools.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We have used it in the past and it does help. In our case, we tried saving some money by buying ours through Costco, but the results were dismal compared to when we used Grizzly Salmon Oil (Grizzly is the brand). We went back to Grizzly after using a small portion of the stuff from Costco.

A little goes a long way. We only gave it once a day, and in a smaller portion than directed. When we used the full amount as directed on the bottle, it was too rich for Rocket's stomach to handle and caused loose stools.

Do you buy grizzly on line? Or in a pet store? Which one?

We also use Grizzly here (the salmon oil). Two pumps on her dinner. And I buy ours at our local pet store. I had used a different brand before I tried Grizzly and I'm staying with Grizzly.

She also is fed Iams green bag, so no difference there.

And she gets one Fresh Factors tablet every day.

Her coat is the shiniest I've ever seen. Sadly, I started the Grizzly brand oil and the Fresh Factors at about the same time so I don't know which one (or maybe it's the combination) that is helping. She actually gleams in the sun!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

You can buy it in pet stores, but it's usually cheaper online. I get our Grizzly from wither Amazon or KV Pet.

FYI, Grizzly had a shortage of their salmon oil recently (they said due to a poor harvest) and we used the substitute pollack oil with much the same results. Two squirts per meal per dog is what I put on their food. This amount seems to help with dry and flaky skin. Salmon oil is also high in Omega 3's and has anti-inflammatory effects, but the amounts of oil you have to use for this causes tummy upsets in mine. Also note that you should discontinue giving salmon oil about a week before any surgery or dentals as it can contribute to bleeding issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My boys really respond well to salmon oil...as others have mentioned wild salmon is great. I also use coconut oil .... Both reduce dry skin and help promote shiney coat for my two boys.

lakse cronch salmon oil used here. that's about the only suppliment i dispense- probiotics on occassion but that's it. it takes a good 6 weeks to notice a change but the stuff really works.

i've tried: linatone(old fashioned),miracoat(old fashioned) capsules of salmon oil- not as effective, bacon fat, olive oil,cold pressed safflower oil, nupro suppliment(old fashioned, one of the dogs loved it so much she broke into the closet- ate the cover and consumed an entire container- no ill effects), different foods. it took nearly a year to figure out what was going to work. i buy 88oz containers which last 2 dogs/4 pumps each around 5 months. doggiefood.com which is also alpha pets- in rhode island always has specials- free shipping over $50 and %off so i've been buying it there.

I've found virgin coconut oil works better for my dogs than any of the fish oils. I gave it a try after reading the following article:

http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf and have never looked back. And I now use it exclusively for cooking and also use it topically on my skin with great results. Makes a good antibacterial toothpaste too. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Personally, I am a bit skeptical when I hear people claiming their dog's coat is beautiful a few days after starting fish oil. It is good for skin heath, but dry coat can be from many things...dry air, shedding, a lack of certain minerals, etc. So...adding some fish oil may or may not help. I am still a big omega 3 fan though, and I always add it (I use Grizzly salmon or herring oil) because omega 3's have so many other benefits that you may not be able to see (heart health, joint health, digestion help, the list goes on). There are many studies on the benefits of omega 3's, especially considering almost every modern diet is sadly lacking in them. :)

Personally, I am a bit skeptical when I hear people claiming their dog's coat is beautiful a few days after starting fish oil. ... <snip>

I totally agree. It takes time. It's taken my girl since Grapehounds at the end of July to reach her current glossy condition.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We use Kirkland fish oil (for people)--I found a lot of the pet versions didn't have the Vitamin E necessary for stabilization.

In humans, fish oil has been well documented to help with arthritis-I haven't seen studies on it for dogs, but I feel it's worth our money for that reason as well.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We use Kirkland fish oil (for people)--I found a lot of the pet versions didn't have the Vitamin E necessary for stabilization.

In humans, fish oil has been well documented to help with arthritis-I haven't seen studies on it for dogs, but I feel it's worth our money for that reason as well.

This is why I use Welactin. Nutramax has a lot of studies published on their website if you like to research the topic :-)

Sorry I haven't looked up the site yet, but just curious what Welactin is? Does it have a higher potency than regular omega 3 /fish oil supplements? I know you need quite high doses to make a difference for things like arthritis so was looking into options for my senior girl. :)