Osteo Thread Part V I I

Guest fastcasper

I think I lost my posting!! Heather I was writing that you need to get ahead of the pain first, then you can start to lower the dosage and or have longer intervals between dosages. At first you should give the pain meds every 6-8 hours and then see how she is doing. With OS, pain management is very important as it is a painful disease. And all we really want for our babies is a good quality of life.

You can give pain meds with Atre. They are doing two different things and should not contraindicate each other. Casper did better on Gabapentin than on Tram. Tram made him very panty and slightly restless. Like I wrote before, he was up to 400 mg every 8 hours to get him through the phantom pain. That is hard to see them go through that. Now he is at a lower dose but still at 300 mg in the evening and he is alert and playful.

Kim

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victor,

I am still so sad about Lana. I hope you and your wife are doing ok. Did you have Lana on any herbs or supplements? I know you had trouble with Pallia (sp).

Kim

Thanks, Kim. We're doing the best we can, I guess. My wife found a book called "Good Grief" that was helpful. The other saving grace has been Duke, Lana's "brother". We have to be strong for him.

For supplements we were giving Lana artemisinin (100mg before bedtime), K9 Immunity Plus (2 chews per day), and I'm-Unity polysaccharopeptide (2400mg per day). As far as medicines, she was on Previcox (for inflammation and pain), gabapentin (for pain), and fluoxetine (for anxiety). She didn't get a chance to try cytoxan after her third bad experience with Palladia. :(

One thing you might consider doing now (if you haven't already) is establishing a baseline for Casper's respiration rate. Then you can monitor for changes over time. It's easy to do: you just count the number of times he breathes during 60 seconds while he's napping or sleeping (but not dreaming). Sources vary, but it seems normal respiration is 12-24 breaths per minute. I think I'd also video record Casper's normal breathing, just so you have something to compare against. Hopefully it'll be a long time before breathing is an issue for Casper, but I think it'd be good to establish what's normal for him now.

Victor, I am so very sorry that you had to say goodbye to Lana. You were always there for her, giving her every chance possible.

I am also greatly saddened to hear of Maggie-Mae's passing. I got to meet her at several events. She was and will always be an inspiration. I am glad that in the end, she won versus the osteo beast.

Heather, I offer a reluctant "welcome" to our club here. It is always difficult to hear of another pup having to fight this disease. As others have mentioned, Seka should be able to go up significantly on the pain meds, and hopefully will keep her comfortable for quite a while. Twiggy has been taking tramadol and gabapentin for quite a while (although not currently in higher doses - she is a post-amp dog and is taking it for general orthopedic issues, not osteo pain), but she has never shown any side effects from the meds, even when she was taking high doses immediately post-amp.

I haven't heard this one mentioned here before, but two of Twiggy's vets recommend the supplement Duralactin. It is a milk-protein based supplement that acts as an anti-inflammatory. Since Twiggy can't have nsaids anymore, I've been giving her this for several months. I can't say for sure it is helping, but both the holistic (accupuncture/chiro/etc.) vet and her regular vet both have very positive things to say about it, so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is looking for something like this.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

So sad to have to tell all of you that we had to let Miss Maggie-Mae go. She could no longer walk without assistance nor go to the bathroom without help. Her rapid decline in health last week was disheartening to see...we let her go while she had some dignity left. We did everything we could to assure her comfort. But since last April, her health was on a slow steady decline. She lived 5 years and 2 months post amp. We couldn't have asked for more. We were blessed to have her with us that long. She was an inspiration to many and I hope she can continue to inspire even though she is not with us here on this earth. She went peacefully. And while our house feels empty without her, we know she is at peace and whole again. I hope that all of your osteo hounds can continue on the same path that Maggie took and live way beyond any prognosis given.

Love and hugs, Suzie and Brian

1499426_10151753486171653_1874673547_n.j

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

That is a beautiful pic of a beautiful girl....I am sorry Maggie Mae has left us.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest fastcasper

Maggie Mae is Beautiful!!! I love her picture! I am sorry you had to let her go but I am happy to hear Osteo didn't take at least one pup.

Thank you for sharing her picture with us.

Kim and

casper

Guest fastcasper

Victor,

Thank you for the suggestion about Casper's breathing rate. That is an excellent idea and I am going to record it and video tape it as well. I was comparing it to his "sister's" breathing as she is healthy and a greyhound too.

I also have him on Arte, I'm Yunity, fish oil, turkey tail (mushroom extract), and some cordyceps. He goes in tomorrow just for a check up. X-rays are in two weeks. Who knows what those rays will show us this time.

I hope at some point down the road, you all will open your heart and home to another grey. From knowing you on this forum, you guys seem like excellent parents to furry kids. The next grey will be all too lucky to have you! :)

Thank you for sharing Maggie Mae and her journey with us..............................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is the wrist a common area for OS? Ben's wrist is quite swollen and he's not putting much weight on it. We have a vet appt. this afternoon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Greytblackdog

Toes and tails crossed for Ben this afternoon.

I have a question for anyone who has used pamidronate - is this only effective with palliative radiation or are there results without radiation?

Guest fastcasper

Yes, the wrist is a common place for OS but so is a soft tissue injury. Positive thoughts!!!!

Kim and Casper

Victor,

I have taken Casper's breathing rate 3 times already. He is averaging 10-11 breaths per minute. As a coach and personal trainer, I'm all about heart rates and such. :)

Thanks again.

I hope today is less painful than yesterday and tomorrow is better.

Kim

Toes and tails crossed for Ben this afternoon.

I have a question for anyone who has used pamidronate - is this only effective with palliative radiation or are there results without radiation?

Heather, I am not sure myself but others will know this.

Good thoughts for Ben.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Pamidronate can help without radiation and is often used in conjunction with palliative pain meds only.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Pamidronate often helps. We used it for Sutra with very good results. Some use it in conjunction with radiation and I think those results have been good as well, if not better than pamidronate alone.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Greytblackdog

Thank you! I called my vet about pamidronate and he is doing all the leg work. He's never used it before, but he is willing to call his resources at UGA, Auburn, and OSU to help him do this right. Fingers crossed we will do our first treatment this week.

Edited by Greytblackdog

Guest fastcasper

Hi all,

Just a quick update on Casper. He went for a check up today (two week post starting Cytoxan), his blood work looks good and his physical exam was good. In two weeks he get x-rays on his chest to see what the tumors have done over this past month. I hope the Cytoxan has kept the tumors in a "stable" state, but I feel if the Carbo and Doxo didn't really control the cancer, how is Cytoxan going to? I also have him on Atre, I4Pets, and some turkey tail(mushroom extract. Suppose to help with mets to the lungs).

Kim and Casper

Glad to hear Casper's tolerating the Cytoxan okay. Try not to get discouraged! Hopefully the Cytoxan is doing its job and controlling the mets, but if it isn't you can explore other options at the next appointment. For now just try to cherish each day as a gift. The respiration rate you mentioned previously is wonderful. As others have mentioned, some greys have done well for quite some time even with lung mets. I pray that that will be the case for Casper.

p.s. Is Casper on an NSAID or an anti-inflammatory like the one Wendy mentioned? If not, you might ask about that. Anti-inflammatories apparently also help restrict the growth of lung mets.

Kim, we will keep Casper in our thoughts and hope for good news for his next vet visit.