Osteo Thread Part V I I

Guest fastcasper

They will have to sedate your girl to get a needle aspirate, so if your local vet can do that, then maybe do that. But if you can get into an oncologist that would probably be best. The result for the needle procedure probably won't take as long as a bone biopsy. What pain meds is she on right now? And the dosage? If you can get the pain under control, she will feel better for the time being.

They will send out the needle sample out asap.

Hang in there, we here know how you are feeling, we have all been there.

Kim and Casper

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you for how difficutl this has been to get answers for Sadie.

We did not do any bone biopsies for Twiggy, just a needle aspirate at OSU the day before her amp surgery.

FWIW, the needle aspirate was not conclusive either (I'm not certain whether they can be), but the lab results of her tumor that was analyzed after her amp was conclusive of osteo.

I think that is part of what is so difficult - I'm not sure there is any way to get conclusive answers of osteo/not osteo in a short amount of time . Twiggy's post-amp labs weren't back for about 2 weeks after her amp. Her regular vet told me that the bone from the sample has to dissolve before they can see whether osteo cells are there - the longer it takes to get answers, the more bone/less osteo was in the sample. I'm not certain how accurate that information is, but it is how it was explained to me.

I continue to keep you and Sadie in my thoughts.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Wendy, I think you're right. We had pretty much the same experience as you and Twiggy. We scheduled Henry's amp pretty much based on the x-rays alone. We only got a definitive answer when the tumor pathology came back, which was several weeks later. Even though Henry's cancer didn't turn out to be osteo, I don't regret deciding to go forward with the amp. It was the right move.

Usually you don't have to sedate for a needle aspirate. Only time we have had to sedate was when the mass was internal and there were lots of important structures in the vicinity.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest cas0673

I talked to my local vet and she said they do put them under for the needle aspirate. And I really don't want to spend more money and not get any definitive answers. I made an appointment for Tuesday with the oncologists I would go to for the chemo.. I really think I know what she will say. And I am going to call the out of town vet to tentatively schedule her surgery. And confirm it after the oncologist appointment. She is hurting worse. And she doesn't want to eat her dog food. She will eat junk food and bones, but not the dog food. Why would that be?

If Sadie is not eating her regular food it could be due to any meds you have her on for the pain or the pain itself. As for the FNA, we did not do one for Charlie and took Dr. Coutu's second opinion that it "looked like Osteo" based on the films. When the biopsy was done on the leg post-amp, it was diagnosed then. Unfortunately sometimes Osteo does not present itself obviously and if you are planning the amputation/chemo path if it is Osteo, then I understand why you do not want to wait. I personally would take Dr. C's opinion due to his experience and the FNA I think is a waste of time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Greytblackdog

Hugs to you and Sadie. I will tell you that the oncologist at Auburn would not start a course of treatment until we had a confirmed dx. I was a WRECK when I agreed to the FNA, but she was fine and we had the confirmed results back before I got home that night (I have a 2 hr drive to AU). We aren't doing the amputation route due to orthopedic issues, so FNA was the only thing available to us for dx.

We did our first chemo last week - carboplatin - and she's been not great all week. I've been told that it gets better. I hope so. I'm not sure we will do another round if the next two weeks are like this one. The first two days weren't horrible, but the last four have been a struggle to get her to eat and the GI issues set in three days ago. I have a girlfriend who is currently taking carbo as a part of her cancer treatment and she said it makes everything taste bad and it made her gums sore, but it does go away. Fingers crossed that's what we're dealing with here.

Last radiation is tomorrow. I'm going to discuss using pamidronate with them now instead of later. They originally told me we should keep it in our back pocket as a pain control measure, but I keep reading it should be done with radiation. Thoughts?

closing in on what would have been the one year anniversary of tempo's osteosarcoma diagnosis and subsequent amputation. he has been gone almost six months at this point, which is to say that despite all the protocols, he only barely outlived the life expectancy for a greyhound who receives only palliative care. still, i am taken aback by how long ago it all seems, which only reinforces the fact that, had he even made the median survival rate of one year, that would have been an ocean of time with him. to anyone trying to decided whether or not amputation and treatment are worth it, keep that in mind. a single year is an incredibly long time.

Remembering Tempo, what a sweet boy he was. :candle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Also remembering Tempo today. What a great boy he was.

Is Seka getting Cerenia after her chemo treatments? If not, that can help. Also, something like Zantac or Prilosec can help. One other thing to consider is Sucralfate/Carafate (given as a slurry about an hour before meals to coat the stomach. I hope she is feeling back to normal soon. Twiggy showed no side effects from treatments 1-3, maybe a little slowness after 4, definitely some sluggishness after 5, and the 6th one was bad, but she did go on to recover well (about 80%-90% back after a week)

Also thinking of Sadie, and hoping the vet visit tomorrow is productive.

Yesterday was Twiggy's 2.5-year ampuversary. We went for a nice walk (got her nails trimmed), then she got some new toys, a big bully stick, and had a nice steak dinner. I am so very lucky. Her next set of x-rays will be on Monday the 24th - fingers crossed things still look good...

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Greytblackdog

GO TWIGGY GO!!!!! :bounce8 That's awesome! Wendy, you should treat yourself too! We all know how stressful caregiving can be.

Seka is getting Cerenia but I'm not sure it helped much. I will add Zantac next time. That's a great idea. I'll check on the Sucralfate/Carafate slurry too. I've fed raw for six years and made the change after we couldn't find a kibble she would eat regularly and not upset her tummy. What is the only thing she will eat now? Kibble. So for the first time in years I have a bag of Fromm's Gold in my kitchen. I've gotten her to eat a total of 3 cups since yesterday. Not a lot, but more than nothing. I'm going to keep offering small meals throughout the day to see if that improves her willingness to eat. Today the GI issues were not an issue at all. Maybe we got over the seven day hurdle. Fingers crossed we make it through the next two weeks just as well.

I wanted to mention that while the radiation treatment has been a tremendous help for pain management, I think that the piroxicam has also had a huge impact for us as well. So it might be a good option if another NSAID isn't working.

I didn't know Tempo. I wasn't here for his journey. Hugs to you remembering your special boy.

Guest greyhoundmummy

Dear all -

My boy Gilbert was recently diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. We went ahead with the amputation almost immediately with no biopsy results as it was a pretty cut and dried diagnosis from the X-ray.

He is doing well 2 weeks post-op. So well, that we have decided that chemo is the ONLY course of action, as there is no obvious spread (although as we know, there are probably micro metastases) and his blood levels are all good.

Unfortunately, Gilly was only insured up to £3K and we are already well over that. We cannot afford chemo, but the thought that we came SO close to helping him and were bound by financing is heartbreaking. We are trying to get Gilly's story out across the globe, and are asking for donations of as little as £1 or (even better and FREE) social media shares.

Please help us.

Read Gilbert's story HERE:

www.gofundme.com/savegilbert

Thank you xx

You'll also see updates, videos and more in-depth information about what's been happening with our boy.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well, I knew one day I would post here and here I am. My little girl Jesse (JJ's Jessica Lee) was diagnosed yesterday with osteo in the right hip. Its a bit odd since she is 11 and the location is the upper hip joint. They are not 100% sure it is in the bone, there is some thought that it may be in the cartilage. Doesn't really matter much. She's 11, and not a candidate for amp. We hope to be able to manage the pain for 2 weeks and will say goodbye on the 22nd.

Good to see Twiggy so well. I hope to see her around the Midwest at events this year.

Chad

Guest fastcasper

Jay, I hope you are remembering all the awesome things about Tempo as his anniversary nears. I followed your posting about him and yours journey and have appreciated the advice you have given me about Casper as well. I am hoping time is making it a little bit better for you and everyone who lost their grey this past year. This group is amazing with information, support, and advice.

Wendy, you must wake up everyday and pinch yourself that you still have Twiggy after 2.5 year post amp. I must admit I am a little jealous of your good fortune, but certainly am SO very happy that some greys do have a happier ending than most. I know you will continue to cherish her!

I also hope Seka is getting her GI issues squared away. Casper takes the slurry stuff to coat his tummy for the Palladia but also takes Omeprazole which is a timed released acid reducer as well. He still has soft stool but he hasn't experienced any "runny" stuff.

My fingers are crossed for a good vet visit for Sadie, Keep us posted!!

I am so sorry to hear Jessie has joined the group. There are many pain management protocols that could give you more time with your girl. What do you have her on now?

I will try and do my part to help Gilly through social media, I wish I could donate but unfortunately I have chosen to take on quite a financial burden myself for my boy. Being a single income home, it has been a challenge this year. But, I would (and probably will at some point) do it over again. These dogs are So special!

Kim and Casper

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Jesse is on:

Tramadol 3x day

Rymadyl 2x day & Pepcid

Gabemeprin 3x day

acupuncture last night and will have another this Saturday

I apologize I don't have all the dosing now, but this just happened so quickly, as it usually does. My heart is bleeding so for my girl. I know this is the price to pay for such a wonderful companion for the last 4 years, but it still doesn't dull the pain.

I made a mistake in my previous post, we are scheduling a vet to come to the house on March 1, not the 22nd of Feb.

So sorry to see new group members......................

:wub: Tempo :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Well, I knew one day I would post here and here I am. My little girl Jesse (JJ's Jessica Lee) was diagnosed yesterday with osteo in the right hip. Its a bit odd since she is 11 and the location is the upper hip joint. They are not 100% sure it is in the bone, there is some thought that it may be in the cartilage. Doesn't really matter much. She's 11, and not a candidate for amp. We hope to be able to manage the pain for 2 weeks and will say goodbye on the 22nd.

Good to see Twiggy so well. I hope to see her around the Midwest at events this year.

Chad

Chad, don't automatically give up the amp route just because of age. Nell is 10.5 and just had her back leg removed.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305045-unclear-diagnosis-opinions-welcome/page-1

I had a front leg amp done to a 12 yr old. I had Dr Couto look at my Diamond because at that point he had seen so many greys. He said age is but a number and said my 12 yr old was closer to a 7 yr old. She handled it quite well. unfortunately 6 months later OS returned in another leg. But those were 6 very happy and pain free months.