Osteo Thread Part V I I

Tara, I am so very sorry. You did everything right by your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tara, I am so sorry that it was Treetop's time to go. That his passing was peaceful and the timing was right will make it easier in the long run, but I know you're hurting right now.

:grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Greytblackdog

Tara, I'm so sorry about Treetop. I hope I am as brave as you are when the time comes for my girl.

Does anyone have experience with palliative radiation? We are going to Auburn University on Monday to hopefully get a better handle on Seka's pain protocol. Her limp has become more significant, but she doesn't pant or seem to be in distress even when she is up and using it. I'm hoping doing palliative radiation and possibly pamidronate infusion. I guess I don't know what else to do at this point. If anyone has experience (positive or negative) with palliative radiation, I'd love to hear it.

She seems comfortable. She's eager to eat and go outside to potty. She doesn't look like she is ready to give up, so I'm not either.

I don't have firsthand experience with radiation but there are a few here that have used it with good results.

I have used pamidronate and had good results with that! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I hate that I am on this page. Mimosa was diagnosed with Osteo today. She started limping a few weeks ago, and then barely would put weight on her left rear leg. I was so afraid of what the diagnosis would be, and x-ray today pretty much confirmed it. Vet said a biopsy would be needed for definite diagnosis, but in his vast experience with greyhounds (his office is the track vet, and sees all the greys going up for adoption), that it is Osteo. He thinks it is very aggressive and that she will not have much time.

I already knew before diagnosis that I would not do amputation. No disrespect to any of you who have, but I do not want to put my dog through that.

So She is on Rimadyl and Tramadol and we are going to love on her for as long as we can. :weep

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

I am sorry to read of Mimosa's diagnosis. It is always a shock and something none of us want to hear. Please give your girl a hug from me and I hope you can make special memories over the coming weeks.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

So very sorry for this horrible news. :(

How old is your girl?

Mimosa will be 10 on February 23rd.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

I too, am very sorry to hear about Mimosa. It is such a devastating diagnosis.

I hope that your family has a lot of quality time left with Mimosa. There are a lot of different palliative care options that can provide a high quality of life.

:grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest fastcasper

Hi,

So sorry to hear Mimosa news. The decision to amputate or not is a personal choice and there is no judgment, you know your girl the best. There are some pain management options that should help to give her more quality of life. It is always so sad to hear that OS has struck again.

Best,

Kim and Casper

Mimosa will be 10 on February 23rd.

Poor girl. My Henry is only 6, which is why we decided to go the amputation route. I'm glad we did (we actually found out later that his cancer wasn't osteo, but a rare form of fibrosarcoma). But I don't blame you if decide not to. It's really a crapshoot trying to figure out how much time you'll have left. Lots of support and good advice on this forum. I'm hoping for the best. :goodluck

Guest fastcasper

Casper had chest x-rays today after a month on Cytoxan. I do not have good news. He is not "stable" anymore but "progressive". 1 met was 3 cm and another was 1.7 cm with some new growth in there too. I had a feeling they might have gotten bigger. He has started a little dry cough sometimes when he get up and jumps around. They could not get him to do it today at the vet. He lungs still sound clear and he is still acting himself. Our options were try Doxo again or try Palladia. I really didn't want to try Doxo because he has such a reaction to it while it is being administered and then funky for a day. So we are trying Palladia and hope his GI system can handle it. We are running out of time and options but not hope that he has just a little more time.

Kim and Casper

I'm sorry your news wasn't better, Kim.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kim, I'm sorry to hear Casper's mets didn't respond to the Cytoxan. I hope he tolerates Palladia okay, and that it helps control the mets. Lana had that dry cough upon getting up for quite some time, so hopefully Casper can continue to keep the cancer at bay for a good period of time still. Our thoughts are with you.

Victor

Kim, I am very sorry to read Casper's update. I know you are doing everything you can for your boy and Palladia may work, just be forewarned it is expensive but likely you already know that. Give you boy a hug for me please.