Osteo Thread Part V I I

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Casper's chest x-rays were not bad news but not exactly what the doc was hoping to get out of the Doxo. Most of the current mets did reduce in size and shape, my oncologist was looking for a greater reduction. And a couple new one showed up though they are not definitive as to being cancer, but likely. All in all he considers the current state of his lungs as stable. We both agreed to try metronomic chemo as the Doxo didn't give the punch he was looking for. We will try for two weeks and do blood work and x-ray Casper in one month. It will be nice not to go to the vet for two weeks, poor Casper needs a break.

Kim

It's a mostly good day! Casper wasn't "too" bad and Henry got covered!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kim, I am glad that the visit came out 'ok' as I am sure you are as well. Any reduction in shape/size is a big win IMHO. We'll keep good thoughts coming Casper's way as it sounds like he is a fighter which is good!

Good to hear that Henry's insurance covered him, that is what insurance is for!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Henry's CBC was on Monday, and from what I could tell the results were pretty fair. He's on track to get his next Doxo treatment on January 18th. They did say his white cell count was a little low, but not low enough to warrant antibiotics. That confused me a little bit. Am I understanding this wrong, or isn't the purpose of chemo to lower the white cell count? I thought they expect that white cells will bottom out between 7-10 days of administration. So I wonder if by "low," she meant, "low" in general, or "lower" than they should be? Any thoughts or experiences with this?

The purpose of chemo isn't to lower the white cell count -- it's to kill bad guys :) . As a side effect, many forms of chemo also inhibit/kill good cells :( , including white cells. If the white count gets too low, the dog would be placed on prophylactic antibiotics -- that is, to prevent infection in case of a cut, scrape, exposure to inhaled bacteria/viruses, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The purpose of chemo isn't to lower the white cell count -- it's to kill bad guys :) . As a side effect, many forms of chemo also inhibit/kill good cells :( , including white cells. If the white count gets too low, the dog would be placed on prophylactic antibiotics -- that is, to prevent infection in case of a cut, scrape, exposure to inhaled bacteria/viruses, etc.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining. For some reason, I thought the onco told me it was expected that the white cell count would drop 7-10 days afterwards. So when the tech mentioned that his was low, I was like, "Yeah... isn't that supposed to happen?" They mentioned that while he's actively doing chemo treatments, he's not supposed to go to dog parks, pet stores, groomers, etc. He also can't have vaccines for the next year.

It is expected to drop some. Tech either didn't know that or maybe meant that it was a bit lower than they'd like ... which may still be above "needs antibiotics" level. Different situation than a regular, healthy dog. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It is expected to drop some. Tech either didn't know that or maybe meant that it was a bit lower than they'd like ... which may still be above "needs antibiotics" level. Different situation than a regular, healthy dog. :)

Okay, that answers my question exactly. :)

Guest fastcasper

With Doxo or any chemo really is blood is tested 7 days after the chemo treatment to see the WBC count. If it's "low" they generally will put them on an antibiotic until the next treatment. This happened several times with Casper. Other times his blood work was good after 7 days of chemo and then on treatment day his WBC count was not at a safe level to administer the chemo. So, if his blood work is good a week after chemo, don't be surprised if on treatment day the WBC count is too low. That will delay treatment anywhere from a couple of days to one week. And they will put Henry on an antibiotic at that point. Casper was on and off antibiotics for all 8 chemo rounds.

Kim and Casper

Dude was on carboplatin, so I'm not sure if there's a difference, but he was always tested on the day *of* his chemo treatment. If his WBC was OK, he got his chemo. If it was too low, he went on AB's and had to wait a week. I think this happened twice for the five treatments he did.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We always checked Pinky's a week after her treatments to be sure she hadn't had a HUGE dip in her count (we may have done this just for her because she also had lupus, I am not sure), and then they'd check her again the day of her next chemo to be sure she was ok to receive her treatment. We did have to postpone treatments 3 and 5 I believe, by a week.

She was on carboplatin :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Dude was on carboplatin, so I'm not sure if there's a difference, but he was always tested on the day *of* his chemo treatment. If his WBC was OK, he got his chemo. If it was too low, he went on AB's and had to wait a week. I think this happened twice for the five treatments he did.

Yeah, same with Henry. The onco called and gave me a more "in-depth" explanation. They run a CBC the morning of his scheduled Doxo treatment, then I wait until for them to review it and decide whether or not the counts are high enough to receive chemo. He gets another CBC 7-10 days post chemo to make sure the white cell count hasn't dipped dangerously low. They expect the WBCs to "bottom out" during that period, but if they're *really* low, the dog needs to do a course of antibiotics. We're still on track for Doxo #2 on January 18th unless there's another significant drop in the WBC. He had a bout of diarrhea Monday, but I'm wondering if that's due to the chemo or the McDonalds cheeseburger he ate on the way home. :blink:

For those of your who had to postpone treatments, did your dog have a noticeable change of behavior during that time? I know they are more susceptible to illness and infection, but were your dogs acting sick or lethargic? Henry has been acting 100% normal, so it's hard to tell if/when he's not feeling well.

Nope...Pinky acted completely normal throughout the whole treatment period. She would be tired after getting her chemo, but, for her, I attributed that to the excitement of being at the vet's office getting loved on by all of the vets and techs there. The techs used to fight over who got to sit with her while she got her chemo :wub:

Those who didnt get to sit with her that day would all come out to hug her the moment they heard we'd arrived :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Dude was very nauseous for a day or two afterwards and he didn't really want to eat, even with Cerenia and metoclopramide. But he recovered fairly quickly each time and was his old bouncy self by day three.

Guest fastcasper

Casper acted pretty much normal. He acted even more normal as the treatments continued. Tired the day after the visit to the vets, but he gets so stressed there at it just wiped him out, but after that is he was very energetic and happy!

Kim, did the vet give Casper a script for any type of anti-anxiety or sedative for the days he receives chemo? I told the onco I was concerned that Henry was starting to get stressed going there. Last time, he was shaking like a leaf and started statuing when the tech tried to take him back. They gave me Trazadone, so I guess we'll see if that helps any. Usually, Henry's very excited to be going anywhere, but he's quickly developing a negative association with this vet.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest fastcasper

He actually prescribed some generic valium ( Diazepam) for Casper when he was having phantom pains. Casper would have pain and then get stressed and got into this cycle where it was hard to calm him down. I do give him 5-10 mg before he goes and he is better. Just takes the edge off for him. I don't go higher than 10mg because combined with his gabapentin, he gets sloppy on his feet and he doesn't need to get hurt.

But the drug works well for him.

kim

It breaks my heart to write this, but Lana is no longer with us. Over the past several weeks her coughing due to the lung mets had been getting progressively worse, and she had started coughing up blood. She was also having increasing difficulty breathing, even at rest. One of the mets that had developed under the skin of her hind leg had ruptured and refused to heal, and the other looked like it was about to rupture. She was clearly suffering physically, and there wasn't anything else we could do for her.

Lana passed peacefully at 4:30pm on January 8, 2014. Four years ago, on January 9, 2010, Lana came to live with us. Her eighth birthday would have been on the 28th of this month. On May 20, 2013, we had the first sign that something was wrong: Lana had pain in her front right shoulder. We didn't know anything about osteosarcoma back then and treated it as a muscular pain. Even on June 14, when we first noticed Lana favoring her back right leg, we assumed it was muscular and treated it as such. It wasn't until the pain kept getting worse that we had x-rays taken and learned that it was most likely osteosarcoma. This was confirmed by needle aspiration on July 3: osteosarcoma in the right distal femur. Lana's back right leg was amputated on July 10. Today would have been her six month ampuversary.

My wife took this photo of Lana the morning of her last day. We tried to make it as happy of a day as possible for Lana. We gave her all of her favorite foods and treats (even a little chocolate), took her for a walk on her favorite path, and gave her all the hugs and kisses we could. Even though her body was failing her, her spirit was as strong as ever. Our hearts are broken and we miss her terribly, but we'll cherish the memories of our time together for the rest of our lives.

Thank you for all of your support through this. We are enormously grateful for the additional time we had with Lana, and I don't think we could have done it without your help.

img_9501.jpg?w=600

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lana.

Godspeed, beautiful girl.

I am so sorry that you didn't have more time with your absolutely beautiful girl. Cancer stinks.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so very sorry Victor. What a beautiful girl Lana was and it breaks my heart you had to say goodbye to your sweet girl. You did right by her and gave her the best life possible even when battling this horrid disease.

Fly free and fast Lana, you will be sorely missed.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh Victor, I'm so sorry :grouphug

Lana reminded me so much of Pinky...I had hoped you'd have more time :(