Osteo Thread Part V I I

Guest Greytblackdog

Hi everyone. Seka had a tough Monday, hence my panicked messages about pain meds. I think we've found a pattern that seems to be working for her. She is still limping, but she isn't panting while standing nor is she having difficulty getting comfortable, so I think those are good signs.

I noticed this morning that the shoulder (right) where the cancer is located seems swollen. Is this normal? Could she have done something else to that shoulder while favoring it that's causing such pronounced limping?

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Hi Victor,

Yes, Casper has been on Deramaxx for several months. My doc is keeping him on it for now but has tossed around putting him Prixacam (sp). Casper would have to be off Deramaxx for about 1 week before using the Prex and he does not want to do that right now because you are right, the anti-inflammatory might be helping the slowing of the tumor (though he has been on it since August and he has tumors). Also, depending on what the rays show, he may be going on Palladia next month. We will see. But the Cytoxan is no trouble for my old boy!! I am going to take he breathing rate once a week and I am writing it on my calendar to keep track. Also, Thanks Victor....I am trying not to get discouraged, he is doing wonderfully for now and I/we are enjoying (along with his sister) our day to day routine. He is happy, so I am happy too!! I hope you and your wife are feeling a little better. 2013 was a tough (sucky) year for a lot of us.

Hi Heather, I am not familiar with your situation, not sure why her shoulder would be swollen. Did she bump into something? That area is probably sensitive and may swell if it's hit. I do remember when Casper's tumor started to grow it was kind of quick in gaining some size, but it never caused him any pain or discomfort. What dosage of pain meds are you giving Seka?

Kim

Guest Greytblackdog

Kim, we are doing 35mg Deramaxx 1x a day, 100 mg Gabapentin 3x a day, 50 mg Tramadol 1 to 2 times a day depending.

Am I wrong to think that her limping isn't going to go away? Or do I not have her as comfortable as I should?

Guest fastcasper

I think first and foremost is to keep ahead of the pain. I am not vet and you should consult with him/her but I think you should go a little higher on the Gabapentin and give her the Tram every 8 hours. 100 mg of Gaba is not a high dose, especially if she is having a tough day. Casper takes 100-200 in the morning and 300 mg in the evening. That is when his phantom pain usually acts up though it is very minimal at this point. He also takes 50mg of Deramaxx 1x/day. He weighs 69 lbs.

I hope if she gets out of pain then maybe she will not be limping or it will be reduced. But as the tumor grows she will limp more as it will get painful.

Others may have better insight on that, as I went with amputating Casper.

Kim

Guest Greytblackdog

Thanks, Kim. I doubled her dose of Gaba at lunch time to 200mg to see if this will help and will give another Tram at dinner.

I guess I always assumed she would limp, and I've been looking for panting and signs of discomfort besides the limp. She's always had a screwed up gait thanks to that gnarly back hip. Her limp is pretty pronounced for the first 20 steps and then seems to become more normal or manageable or comfortable. I don't know. I'm trying not to freak out.

Henry had a really good week. We went for a long hike at the lake earlier this week and a run at the dog park today. He's slowly getting more comfortable running, playing, and bossing Truman around. He goes in for his second dose of Doxo tomorrow. Wish us luck that everything goes as planned. :)

Heather, keep in mind that gabapentin's effect builds up over time. When increasing Seka's dose you (and Seka) may not immediately notice the effect of the increased dose. Not sure about the swelling; you should probably ask your vet about that.

Glad to hear Henry had a good week.

Kim, that's interesting that your vet said Casper would have to be off Deramaxx for a week to start Piroxicam. I know they have to wait a week when switching from NSAIDs to steroids, but I didn't think they had to wait when both are NSAIDs. I wonder if Deramaxx is somehow different from the other NSAIDs? In any case, if Casper tolerates the Deramaxx okay maybe there's no need to switch?

Kim, that's interesting that your vet said Casper would have to be off Deramaxx for a week to start Piroxicam. I know they have to wait a week when switching from NSAIDs to steroids, but I didn't think they had to wait when both are NSAIDs. I wonder if Deramaxx is somehow different from the other NSAIDs? In any case, if Casper tolerates the Deramaxx okay maybe there's no need to switch?

Yes, switching from one NSAID to another requires a wash-out period for the first NSAID. It's why people whose dog has a minor sprain should not dose with aspirin at home; aspirin (an NSAID) has such a long wash-out period, and it will be days before the dog can take a stronger NSAID.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Our Bee Wiseman took 900mg/daily of Gabapentin (in addition to Tramadol and Deramaxx) when she was dealing with her osteo. That 100mg TID is a low dose. Aggressively medicate with osteo. The disease is very, very painful.

Our vet helped us constantly up the doses of her medications as the disease progressed.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Hello -

We just found out our darling girl Chloe, almost 12 yrs old, has osteo. She was limping beginning of Dec and at the time the vet didn't think the xray should anything of concern. She did well on pain killers, but as she came off of time, the limping was back and worse. Today, new xrays confirmed the worst. The sadness is overwhelming because we know we will lose her sooner rather than later. For now,she is on pain meds Tramadol, Gabapentin and one other.

I have no specific questions yet. But it is helpful knowing this forum is here and that others have faced this too. We'll take it day by day and hopefully will know when it is enough. Thanks.

Kim, I'm glad to hear that Casper's blood and physical were good! As for why cytoxan might work when doxo and carbo didn't, it's probably as simple as - it's different. It seems that we don't have a way of knowing which drug(s) will help, just those that might. Cytoxan is another one that might, and I certainly hope that is does.

Heather, I agree with all the others, that aggressively dosing pain meds for osteo is important. It may be better to get complete control of the pain first, then back down if you can. It seems like once the pain really sets in, it is harder to get under control.

kmtgolf1, I am so sorry to hear about your Chloe. It must be especially frustrating for you to have had x-rays earlier without conclusive results, only to get confirmation now. We are all here for you and Chloe.

For anyone who's counting, yesterday was Twiggy's 29 month ampuversary (1 more month till 2.5 years!) - she will be eating steak all weekend.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I am sorry to read of Chloe's diagnosis and understand the heartbreak when you hear the words. We are all here for you and your girl and there is too much experience here that will help if you have any questions or concerns. Give your Chloe a hug from me.

Twiggy!!! Way to go girl. Keep it up!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest fastcasper

Hi Victor,

There is a wash out period from NSAID to another. We will just wait and see what the next plan of action is. But for now he tolerates everything they have thrown at him. What a frickin trooper (they ALL are).

Twiggy is an amazing hound and I know that you don't take this gift of 2.5 years for granted! We all hope that our dog will be in that 10% who do survive over 2 years. Awesome for Twiggy....steaks all around!!

On a sadder note, I am sorry to hear Chloe has joined our "club". As others have said, we are hear, and these folks have a wealth of info. I personally would have been pretty lost and feeling alone dealing with this disease without the help from everyone here.

Kim and Casper

So sorry to hear about Chloe. :( This thread is such a wealth of knowledge- I hope it gives you some help and comfort.

Henry had his second round of Doxo yesterday. So far, so good. His CBC looked really good, and to my surprise, he wasn't a nervous wreck this time. We'll see if the side effects get any worse with after round 2. I set up a session with Nicole Begley Pet Photography for May. She did some photos for us a few years ago that we absolutely loved. I wanted to have some photos to remember Henry's journey.

I also sent in an application to get new plates on my Jeep. This is what its supposed to look like. :)

2aexw8l.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts. Chloe's meds seem to be keeping her pretty comfortable. She's limping but not nearly as bad as before the medicine. She's able to go out for walks and potty with out a problem. Taking it day by day and hoping we have a couple of months to shower her with love, keep her comfortable and help her move on when the time comes. It is the worst part of owning a pet, but of course it pales in comparison to all the love and fun times she has given us over the last 6 years.

We have another grey (Clifford) and have wondered how he will handle things when she is gone. Any experience with the surviving pups and what to expect?

Some pups will grieve some will not. I have found it really depends on the pup and the dynamic between them. Continued good thoughts for Cloe.

Alicia, I like the plate! Good to hear Henry is doing well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest fastcasper

Love the plate!! I continue to have good thoughts for Henry.

I lost a grey a few years ago when he was only 6.5. Him and Casper had been "brothers" for about 3 years. When Quincy died, Casper had a VERY hard time with it. It was then when I found out how sensitive Casper was/is. It took him months to get over it and, I even took him to the vet to make sure he was ok. They almost put him on doggie uppers. He didn't want to do all the things we did before we lost Quincy. 8 months later (though I was not ready for another), Wynnie came into our life, and I swear to God, Quincy sent her to us. She has a lot of quirks and mannerisms like Quincy (even brindle). It was a bit creepy and comforting all at the same time. Casper was/is a much happier dog. I think Wynnie will mourn for a bit and then will be ok (she better be as I really will need to recover from losing my Casper).

Kim and Casper

Treetop didnt take his meds this morning and refused dinner tonight ... I did get him to take pain meds tonight, but had to do it the hard way. Will have see in the morning but i think it is time to say good bye to my boy

Just hugs for you and your Treetop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thinking of Treetop.