7 Staples In My Head

Guest Groundhog

Guest Krizzy

I'm so sorry you were hurt, physically and emotionally. I hope your adoption group will help you decide what to do, and that your dear Faye will find a good new home if you choose to give her up.

I wouldn't say she has no bite inhibition. I would say that she felt threatened and trapped. Sometimes it is hard to read an individual dog's signs -- the "I'm not liking this" look can be very subtle.

My very first greyhound had a slightly different but also scary problem -- occasionally he would startle up from a sound sleep with a snarl and a giant snap. Fortunately he never connected with anything. Our rule for nieces, nephews, visiting children, AND adults, including myself, was quite simply, DO NOT PET, PESTER, BEND OVER, COZY UP TO, ETC. THE DOG WHILE HE IS LYING DOWN. Sometimes they sleep with eyes partly open, so best just assume that if the dog is lying down, he might be sleeping. That one small rule kept us all safe and kept an otherwise exceptionally gentle dog in our home.

We have the same rule in our home. No going by our grey while he is laying down or in his crate.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lynne893

Just wanted to express my condolences for such a terrible thing to go through.

I was mauled on the face by a cocker spaniel when I was 5 and I still have physical scars (34 now). I've always been a dog lover, had one growing up and have had 4 greyhounds. I'm just extra responsible and careful now! :)

Good luck in the next go-round!

Some fosters will push the dog a bit in order to check out those sorts of things, and some won't. Depends on the purpose of the foster period, how long the dog was there, and experience as NeylasMom mentioned.

Also, some dogs are very specific about these things. You may be able to lean over the dog and wave your arms in one way, dog is fine. Use a slightly different angle of approach, and dog freaks. Or time of day, how tired or stimulated the dog happens to be at that moment, etc. So it could even be that the foster home *did* check out some of these things but didn't quite arrive at the same button, so to speak.

Most of the dogs I've known fairly well -- my own and others' -- I'm confident I could make snap without doing anything abusive or outre. I've only had/known a few that I was pretty sure I couldn't.

I push my fosters to find out what their limits are, so that when I adopt them out, I can choose parents who have the ability to deal with that particular dog's behaviors. I do this because I've been bitten by two of my own dogs; my first greyhound had sleep aggression, and my second had fear aggression. I did a lot of work with them to get them to be less unpredictable, but I don't believe that a dog that responds with biting will every be 100% trustworthy to not do so again. For an experienced adopter to choose a dog that has limits, that is one thing; but to expect a new adopter to deal with biting and advanced training techniques to try to handle it is another thing, and I believe that sets both the adopter and the dog up for too much potential for failure.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest Doggone

I push my fosters to find out what their limits are, so that when I adopt them out, I can choose parents who have the ability to deal with that particular dog's behaviors. I do this because I've been bitten by two of my own dogs; my first greyhound had sleep aggression, and my second had fear aggression. I did a lot of work with them to get them to be less unpredictable, but I don't believe that a dog that responds with biting will every be 100% trustworthy to not do so again. For an experienced adopter to choose a dog that has limits, that is one thing; but to expect a new adopter to deal with biting and advanced training techniques to try to handle it is another thing, and I believe that sets both the adopter and the dog up for too much potential for failure.

I applaud how you foster! ITA that it gives you the knowledge to "custom-match" a dog with the right adopter, especially a first-timer :).

I'm very thankful that the placement person through whom I got Autumn had her personality down pat! Being not only a first-time greyhound adopter, plus a "senior", I got a dog that seemed to have come with instructions on how to be MY dog! :D

I wound up with a 7-year-old brro mom, who's as calm and low-key as can be! I keep knocking wood that she'll continue to be this easy and cooperative. So far, no issues have arisen, for which I'm so thankful.

If I were to be looking for another greyhound, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I truly feel that they "customized" the adoption perfectly :)!

Guest Groundhog

Thank you all for the feedback about Faye. After much heartache we decided to return Faye to the group, but she was placed back with her original foster family, who assured me she'd stay with them until she was re- adopted. They already have 2 Greyhounds and a husky so I know she's being cared for. They even have a lady who's interested in taking her as a "foster-to-own", who's had twitchy Greyhounds before. When we first were looking for a dog, we read a lot and thought we were getting the perfect dog for us. The group did warn us about not touching a hound when they're sound asleep, but I never knew I was not supposed to pet her at all when she was in her bed. That being said, I had petted Faye a lot in her bed and she was fine. I know more about Greyhounds now than I ever knew before. I wish I'd known about Greytalk before adopting. I don't blame her at all and I know she's very sweet and playful and will make someone very, very happy. This was a awful experience that no one should ever have to go through, I felt like I was sending my child away. We're going to wait before getting another dog, and will look long and hard before we adopt again, and unfortunately it won't be a Greyhound. Once you see those teeth coming at you it changes your whole perspective. Staples coming out this afternoon.

Guest PiagetsMom

I know it was hard to return Faye, but it sounds as though she will be fine. I wish you a much better experience in your next adoption - there are lots of dogs out there in need of a home! :grouphug

I'm glad you returned her, and she will find the right home. I'm just sad to read that you have given up so quickly on the breed.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

You made the right choice. I'm sure Faye will find a home that is better suited for her.

One of our greys, Bonny, was returned for snapping at children. When we've had our young nieces over, Bonny leaves the room. That is her "warning." Our nieces know enough not to follow her and to give her space. I'm guessing the kids in her previous home did not.

Our grey, Celeste, is the complete opposite. You can lay on top of her, kids can crawl on her, etc. and the most she'd do is lick your face.

If you choose to adopt again, I'm sure you can find the "right" greyhound for your home. I'm pretty sure there is more than one Celeste out there.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Sending gentle hugs and hopes that your next foray into the world of dogs treats you more kindly. I'm sorry you had to go through the pain of giving up a dog whom you loved despite her not being the right girl for you at this time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest driser

Wow, so sorry. Very glad to read your group was understanding. There IS a home out there for her. I agree with the person who advised, "Don't fret."

Thank you all for the feedback about Faye. After much heartache we decided to return Faye to the group, but she was placed back with her original foster family, who assured me she'd stay with them until she was re- adopted. They already have 2 Greyhounds and a husky so I know she's being cared for. They even have a lady who's interested in taking her as a "foster-to-own", who's had twitchy Greyhounds before. When we first were looking for a dog, we read a lot and thought we were getting the perfect dog for us. The group did warn us about not touching a hound when they're sound asleep, but I never knew I was not supposed to pet her at all when she was in her bed. That being said, I had petted Faye a lot in her bed and she was fine. I know more about Greyhounds now than I ever knew before. I wish I'd known about Greytalk before adopting. I don't blame her at all and I know she's very sweet and playful and will make someone very, very happy. This was a awful experience that no one should ever have to go through, I felt like I was sending my child away. We're going to wait before getting another dog, and will look long and hard before we adopt again, and unfortunately it won't be a Greyhound. Once you see those teeth coming at you it changes your whole perspective. Staples coming out this afternoon.

My greyhounds have all slept in bed with me, and other than the sleep aggression dog, I haven't had any issues. I regularly sleep with and cuddle with my female greyhound, and she would never in a million years react. I also cuddled with (well, mauled might be a better word :lol) my male greyhound, and while he had fear aggression, he didn't have any issues with cuddling in bed. I've even cuddled all of my fosters when they were in their beds (after carefully testing them and their boundaries.) I think the rule of never touching a greyhound when he/she is in his/her bed is way too strict, it should be a warning to approach cautiously and let the dog decide if they wanted that or not. My last broken leg foster loved nothing more than spooning while in her bed. I STILL miss doing that with her, and I adopted her out several years ago!! But I totally understand your hesitance in adopting again. My advice to you is to find a placement rep and foster home that will test a dog to make sure he/she is bomb proof for you. I've done that for several of my fosters and their perspective adopters, and have told some that the placement would not work if I thought there was any chance of issues (on the people side or on the dog side.) You had a very horrible experience, and I so understand your fears, but I am very sad that you would forego the opportunity to pursue adopting a 'bomb-proof' greyhound, they really are the most amazing dogs. :grouphug

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

I am glad Faye is back with her foster home and you are on the mend (at least physically). I am sure this has been very hard emotionally and can only say that there are many breeds out there and all great in their own ways. Not every breed is for everyone so take your time, do some additional research on the type of dog you want. Good luck and again, I am sorry you went through this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

There are lots of other breeds out there that need homes...I am sure you will find the right dog for you.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I'm sorry for your injury and your pain in returning a dog.

After 6 months, lots of training and meducation, our first dog could NOT be left alone.

Our groups's behaviorist said I'd done everything she would advise and flat out told me to return the dog.

I was heartbroken.

My husband wanted to give up on all greyhounds as spooky dogs.

The behaviorist encouraged me to be open to an older male bounce, and taking him home was the best thing we ever did.

He is the perfect dog for us. Fine alone, will whimper for us to come over and pet him on the floor or on his bed, and barely lookes up or flinches if he is accidentally bumped, kicked or stepped on. ( Small house, big dog who sprawls out in the middle of where everyone needs to be--we do try to walk over or around him without touching him but its hard. For a. huge dog, he also manages to "sneak" up behind us a great deal) With cheese, I've managed to train him to love pedi-paws time, and he tolerates ear and tooth cleaning with little complaint.

The only two things that spook him now are fireworks and small foofy dogs. We are working on throwing a party and dispensing treats when we hear fireworks, and he's making a lot of progress with that. Breeds have a lot in common, but each dog is an individual.

There are spooky or reactive greys. Can a determined and experienced owner deal with those dogs? Yes.

Are there lower-maintence dogs for people without that expertise? Absolutely. I learned a lot from both dogs, and one of them is that

I know myself and I'd probably be better off with a bounce or one that had been fostered rather than one right off the track. I also now have a love for big mooshy senior boys, and it breaks my heart that good dogs often get given up after years in a home due to owner illness or divorce .

Take the time you need, but know that there probably is a grey who'd be perfect for you. You'd likely do better with one with a mellower disposition and less space issues. Good luck!

Guest WhiteWave

So sorry this happened. I hope you will give another Greyhound a chance in the future. Not all are like that. I will not have a dog that I can not touch/handle in any situation at any time. I do not care if they are laying down, sleeping or whatever. If they bite me for touching them, they will have to go live in another home. My dogs rarely even wake up when I touch them while sleeping. I clip their toenails (someones even paint them), pick at the their teeth, clean their ears, and move/readjust them so I can move. They could care less. If I do bother them, they are free to get up and move and sometimes they do, but usually they just keep on sleeping! :)

Just seeing this. I am so sorry you and Faye are going through this. I had to return a grey once who attacked one of my other greys. We found out too late for us that she needed to be an "only" I broke my heart to return her, but she is in a wonderful home where she is happy and loved. I hope Faye finds the perfect home for her. And, when you are ready, that you find the perfect pup for you.

Guest iconsmum

I second June's sentiments. Never let yourself be guilted into a pet that you can't handle or are afraid of. The fact that you're willing to give somebody a home at all makes you a good person.

>Never let yourself be guilted into a pet that you can't handle or are afraid of.<

Excellent advice, iconsmum. Just because some people are willing and able to handle a dog with certain issues does not mean everyone can or should.

You shouldn't be afraid of someone sharing your home, man or beast.

• 2 months later...
Guest Groundhog

I'm the original poster and wanted to give everyone an update, and to thank you all for your replies. Faye was adopted by another family and is happy in her new home. I will always have a very soft place in my heart for her, and hold no malice towards her or Greyhounds as a breed. Maybe someday we'll try again, but for right now, I needed a very docile dog right from the get-go. So we adopted an 8 month old Golden Retriever/Lab mix that we named Doug. Although there are no guarantees with any dog that's adopted, he has fit in seamlessly. My scars still itch, though;)

Guest Davros

i didn't post earlier as other members had things covered, but i did follow this thread... thanks for coming back to give us an update and great news that Faye found a home and you found a new family member who fits your home well : )

Guest Lisa_S

I am new to the group & to owning a Grey. We've had some growling incidents in the past week of bringing her home. We are still very much learning her likes & dislikes. The growling scares me especially if it's one of my girls (all older, no toddlers, etc). We are trying to learn but haven't had any biting. I have to be honest but one bite is one too many. We love her and want nothing more than to have her forever! Biting is just non-negotiable in my mind. I wish you the best of luck. If you need to return her, it's ok. It's not always a love match. Best of luck :)

I am new to the group & to owning a Grey. We've had some growling incidents in the past week of bringing her home. We are still very much learning her likes & dislikes. The growling scares me especially if it's one of my girls (all older, no toddlers, etc). We are trying to learn but haven't had any biting. I have to be honest but one bite is one too many. We love her and want nothing more than to have her forever! Biting is just non-negotiable in my mind. I wish you the best of luck. If you need to return her, it's ok. It's not always a love match. Best of luck :)