Giving Thyroid Drug Exactly Every 12 Hours?

Tracker is supposed to go on Soloxine. Today would be the day for his first dose. I realized when it said on the bottle to give it to him every 12 hours that he's not exactly on a 12 hour feeding schedule; he gets fed at 7:30am and 4pm (pretty much on the dot, as his Highness requires). Should I go ahead and gradually push the 4pm out to, say, 5pm or even 6pm (I shudder to think how well that would go down), or am I too concerned with this?

Is my assumption this is given with food actually correct? Or should it be given on an empty stomach? If so, how many hours before or after feeding?

Edited by christinepi

Hi Christine - I've had three hounds (all now angels) who were on thyroid meds. My hounds ate three meals per days - so, fortunately, it worked out well in that I gave one thyroid pill with b'fast; the other with dinner (a 12-hr interval; pet sitter served lunch).

I wouldn't obsess at this point. We all just do the best we can. Your vet will want to (or should) do a thyroid re-check approx six weeks or so after you start the meds to gauge if the dose is appropriate and re-evaluate thyroid levels. See how it goes; discuss any concerns. Whatever you do, just try to be consistent.

I have to believe Tracker will be feeling pretty spry in a few weeks. :ghplaybow Good luck! Hope all goes well.

ETA: Per oldrunners -- I agree. Once you establish that the dose is appropriate, then you do an annual re-check.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I have had 3 thyroid dogs in the past, and have one now. I give the meds at breakfast and dinner, whenever they happen to be. No one has ever had a problem. Breakfast is usually sometime between 7:30 and 8:30, and dinner is usually between 5 and 6. Although the bottle says every 12 hours, none of my vets has ever told me I had to adhere to the 12 hour span. Actually, none has ever even asked about it!. Thyroids are tested yearly, unless I suspect something needs adjusting, in which case we test earlier.

Technically your supposed to give the Soloxine on an empty stomach. I generally feed with a breakfast cookie and dinner though. Honestly don't sweat it. Just give them twice a day when it works for you. Hope he's feeling better soon

------

Jessica

It is a rarity in this house that it is 12 hours apart because of my work schedule. I get as close to I can as 12, but it almost never happens. I do give it to them an hour in advance on an empty stomach in the mornings, less than an hour on an empty stomach at night because I get home so late. They've been on it for several years and their blood values are always on the money, so I'm not as concerned about hitting it exactly at 12 as I was in the beginning.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We've had two thyroid GH's. Twelve hours is approximate, doesn't have to be totally exact. We give with meals just because it works out well for us. Perhaps the dosage is a little higher than it would have to be if we gave it on an empty stomach since, as someone pointed out, this med isn't used as efficiently if it's given with food. But retesting always showed that the dose was adequate. (They do retest at six weeks or so at the beginning, to be sure you're on the right track.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I have two on thyroid meds. Given just before meals, which are less than 12 hours apart. They're both fine.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Lots of flexibility on when you give the pills, but a couple of things: If you're a little late with a dose, go ahead and give it; if you completely miss a dose, don't double-up; just catch the next dose.

And before you go back for retesting, when you make your appointment, ask them about when to give the meds before the test. My vet always wanted to test at least 4 hours after the pills--which occasionally has meant getting up early to give pills, then going back to bed for a while before an early-morning appointment.

Also, order from an online company for a better price--unless you've got a vet who'll match an online price. And many people feel it's important to stay with one manufacturer--or at least, don't change unless you think you're getting less-than optimal results and need to try something else. Soloxine (made by Virbac) is the brand name, thyroxine (or L-thyroxine) is the generic, and it appears that different versions of the generic may produce different results. If you decide to stick with your vet for your supply, make sure they always get their thyroxine from the same manufacturer--or that if you order Soloxine, that's what you actually get.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You really shouldn't discourage people from asking questions. People use Soloxine for a number of reasons. Whether you personally agree or not, they are working with a vet to get scripts. People who do not care about their dogs do not run out and put them on extra medicines. I could give two poops what people think or say. I know I'm providing my babies the best food, care, and mental health possible for our situations. I do my best to research, stay informed, and find what works best for us out of everyone's views and opinions. Not everyone has that concrete view so it's unfair to judge without knowing what's behind each specific dog's Soloxine dosage.

------

Jessica

Typically, it needs to be given 1 hour before eating (at least 30 minutes) or 2/3 hours after eating. Also, no calcium/antacids or soy at the same time because these will bind ...

OP, based on this you could give the doses at 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. That would fit the 1 hr prior and 2 hrs after rule.

Speaking from human thyroid meds which are also levothyroxine (what Soloxine is), A) the drug is metabolized very slowly, so the spacing really doesn't matter -- the level of thyroid hormone in the body from the drug builds over days and decreases over days if you didn't give it. Humans take it once a day. B) For humans you are absolutely supposed to take it *away* from food for a reliable dose. Food interferes with the absorption. I try to take it an hour before I eat breakfast.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Speaking from human thyroid meds which are also levothyroxine (what Soloxine is), A) the drug is metabolized very slowly, so the spacing really doesn't matter -- the level of thyroid hormone in the body from the drug builds over days and decreases over days if you didn't give it. Humans take it once a day. B) For humans you are absolutely supposed to take it *away* from food for a reliable dose. Food interferes with the absorption. I try to take it an hour before I eat breakfast.

This is correct in people - it builds up and stays in the system for a few days but it also does depend on what type of medicine you are taking (Armour which is natural for example versus a synthesized medicine). It looks like dogs are different in that it does not stay in the system as long as in people and that is why twice a day dosing is recommended - reference Dr Dodds book on canine dog issues. But, I'm sure vets differ on their opinion on thyroid and dosing ....

This is correct in people - it builds up and stays in the system for a few days but it also does depend on what type of medicine you are taking (Armour which is natural for example versus a synthesized medicine). It looks like dogs are different in that it does not stay in the system as long as in people and that is why twice a day dosing is recommended - reference Dr Dodds book on canine dog issues. But, I'm sure vets differ on their opinion on thyroid and dosing ....

Right, I take Cytomel too and know it isn't the same. But we were talking about Soloxine which is levothyroxine which = Synthroid in humans. But yes of course dogs could be different. There is also a lot of official drug information for Soloxine or any drug online.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

You really shouldn't discourage people from asking questions. People use Soloxine for a number of reasons. Whether you personally agree or not, they are working with a vet to get scripts. People who do not care about their dogs do not run out and put them on extra medicines. I could give two poops what people think or say. I know I'm providing my babies the best food, care, and mental health possible for our situations. I do my best to research, stay informed, and find what works best for us out of everyone's views and opinions. Not everyone has that concrete view so it's unfair to judge without knowing what's behind each specific dog's Soloxine dosage.

:thumbs-up Very well said, I couldn't agree more. I trust my vet implicitly and she feels this is best for my dogs. I can see for myself that they are thriving outwardly and their yearly bloodwork is now stellar.

Do not mistake this as being without critical thought, because that would be dead wrong.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Similarly to what others have said, 12 hours apart isn't strictly necessary and with food is okay, just be aware that you will probably end up giving more Soloxine that way, so I would imagine it might save money to give without food. Personally, I figured reliably remembering was better, and the best way to do that was with food. We usually ended up dosing about 14 & 10 hours apart. What is important is to be clear with your vet when you're dosing, w/ or w/out food, so she can run the follow-up tests at the appropriate time.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.