The Boys Had A Fight- Gamo Has Been With Us One Week

So Gamo has been with us a week now. It seemed the boys were getting along well. There were a couple of warning growls from both over the course of this week. But mostly they have been sleeping soundly together and sharing everything well. They have played a lot. Tonight I was not home and DH heard Gamo give a warning growl, perhaps over the kongs that were still on the floor. DH removed the kongs. A few minutes later the boys were fighting. They were growling and snapping and had a real battle. They stood on their back legs and went head on at one another. They knocked the stuff off the coffee table. Gamo disengaged and Kevin kept after him. DH could not determine who started it and what it was about. He yelled at the top of his lungs and they broke it up. No one seemed hurt. I am already having problems with the alone training, now I am very worried about this situation. Any thoughts or advice?

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest DeniseL

Oh, jeez!!! I'm sorry they had a scuffle. I don't have any advice, being relativity new to the more than one dog thing myself. I did start a thread a few days back saying that my girls were fighting when they were outside running, but I think it is mainly because they were so aroused. I am trying to keep their excitement level to a minimum for a while to avert any future incidents. Maybe they just need more time together and they are just starting to figure out the dynamic? I'm sure some more experienced owners will chime in...

I will add that for us, Izzy has a different, higher, energy level that really put my boy on edge in the beginning. He has gotten a lot better. But I try to keep Izzy off of both Miami and Thyme when she has the super excited energy. I think sometimes they just don't know what to make of her. But I'm not sure if that relates at all to how Gamo and Kevin are together...

After talking with Gamo's owner it sounds like Kevin just laid down the rules for Gamo.
Gamo is a real teenager and it sounds like he may have pushed Kevins buttons a bit.

We'll keep a close look on the situation and if needed consult a professional.

With high value rewards like Kongs, I would definitely separate them. Let them work on the Kongs in their crates or gate them in separate rooms. My boys are extremely bonded and loving, but all bets are off when big treats are involved. They've never made contact, but they definitely turn into mean, growly, hoarders when it comes to bones or chewies. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

Watch for them to eye each other for a few days. It takes some dogs a few days to settle down after a fight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Watch for them to eye each other for a few days. It takes some dogs a few days to settle down after a fight.

Judy, Kevin seems mostly "over it" but Gamo is clearly not. There is no interaction at all between them right now. Gamo is avoiding being in the same room as Kevin, will not walk by him, and wouldn't sleep in his own bed last night (until we moved it across the room). I am hoping that the message has been conveyed and we won't have another fight. We are keeping a very close eye on them. And I contacted a behaviorist.

finalsiggy.jpg

Muzzles are a wonderful thing.

It's only been a week. Everybody is still finding their place.

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I wouldn't consult a behaviorist over one scuffle in which no one was hurt. Trust me. If they were REALLY fighting, someone would have been hurt.

If you're worried, muzzle when you cannot directly supervise them--at least for a little while.

I grew up in a house with three unneutered males (father and his two sons). They had disagreements from time to time. No one was ever hurt, and while the noise can be fearsome, like a lot of male nonsense, it was all noise and not much else!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wouldn't consult a behaviorist over one scuffle in which no one was hurt. Trust me. If they were REALLY fighting, someone would have been hurt.

If you're worried, muzzle when you cannot directly supervise them--at least for a little while.

I grew up in a house with three unneutered males (father and his two sons). They had disagreements from time to time. No one was ever hurt, and while the noise can be fearsome, like a lot of male nonsense, it was all noise and not much else!

LOL!!

We've consulted with her before so I am just touching base. So far Gamo is totally avoiding Kevin and all is ok. We'll see how it goes.

finalsiggy.jpg

Gamo's being very cautious, which is a good thing. Kevin obviously is going to take a little longer to settle down. They basically need to learn to trust each other and that's going to take time. I've only had two serious arguments in all the years I've had my pups, one was between Valentino and Arrow shortly after Valentino joined the family and the other was between Emmy and Heart just after Heart was through with her heart worm treatments and allowed to be free in the house. I have to tell you, although the boys argument looked a lot more serious, like Susan said, it was a lot of talk. Now the girls on the other hand both had to have stitches for small wounds on each of them, which only proves that bitches can really be bitches when it comes to fighting! :rofl I will tell you that neither the boys or the girls ever got into it again. It was like they were testing each other and then called a truce between them. :rolleyes:

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gamo's being very cautious, which is a good thing. Kevin obviously is going to take a little longer to settle down. They basically need to learn to trust each other and that's going to take time. I've only had two serious arguments in all the years I've had my pups, one was between Valentino and Arrow shortly after Valentino joined the family and the other was between Emmy and Heart just after Heart was through with her heart worm treatments and allowed to be free in the house. I have to tell you, although the boys argument looked a lot more serious, like Susan said, it was a lot of talk. Now the girls on the other hand both had to have stitches for small wounds on each of them, which only proves that bitches can really be bitches when it comes to fighting! :rofl I will tell you that neither the boys or the girls ever got into it again. It was like they were testing each other and then called a truce between them. :rolleyes:

Judy, you're funny! I hope so!

I will say we had a foster once and the girls got into it and it was seemingly less viscous but there was a little blood that time. So hopefully the boys are all puff and it will get better from here. They are currently in the same room. Granted, I am here too. But they are closer, even if they are not interacting.

finalsiggy.jpg

Others have already said the important stuff. Separate when there are high value treats like kongs around, and muzzles are a wonderful thing, especially when dogs are just getting to know each other. If there was no blood shed it was probably just a scuffle. I'd err on the side of caution and not leave them unsupervised together without a muzzle for a bit.

Olly the Galgo has been told off by both "I'm the boss" Pilgrim and generally happy-go-lucky Caesar. We've only had the odd bark, snap or growl though. It's usually been when he goes galloping past too close to their sleeping noses, or takes a flying leap over the couch and lands too close to an occupied bed. Those Galgo puppy bursts occasionally get on their nerves, although they usually just ignore him when he is letting off steam.

Olly retreats quickly, does a lot of doggy submissive behavior, and acts very cautiously around them for a few hours, but soon gets over it. He is a smart dog, just like Gamo. He and Kevin will settle down soon and be best of buddies, I'm sure.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just so you know, you really didnt have a "fight" they just had a little discussion. If they had a fight, there would be a vet visit, belive me. Others have given great advice so I wont bother.