Do You Ever Take Your Hounds In To Weigh Them?

Mason's stripeys make it hard to see his ribs and weight. I took him to the vet yesterday just to do a weight check. I felt a little funny doing it, but better safe than sorry...he was looking a little thin.

He was 93 lbs down to 91.7 which I'm ok with...I don't think he's been eating as much. But, with the winter and everything I'm not surprised. He's been taking treats and scarfed down rice, baby food and the Ivermectin yesterday. I gave him a whole jar of baby food instead of just half.

I've never had to do with any of my other Greys.

Does anyone else do this with their Greys?

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack gets weighed when he goes in to donate blood. But when I first got him, I did, since he was seriously underweight and I needed to know how much he needed to gain, etc.

Guest undergreysspell

I run them down every few weeks to make sure Gracie hasn't added any and Rex hasn't lost any more weight. It's hard to keep weight on the old guy and Gracie will eat anything he leaves if I don't watch her. The receptionist always makes note of their weights in the computer.

When my vet was local, I used to just pop in and out and weigh my dogs whenever I was suspicious of a gain or loss. With Summer, her vet is an hour away so she only gets weighed when we are up there. If I suddenly wanted to know, I'd just have DH hold her in his arms and step on our home scale.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Ours are fawns, so easy to see weight changes. But they both have medical issues, especially the older one with IBD and back pain. When my eyes tell me that he may have lost too much weight, I take him in to quantify it. Up until that point, I just try to feed him more. Our vet receptionist records all weigh-ins on the computer too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sure, frequently. My vet is near my house and right across the street from the dog park, and the step-on scale is right out in the waiting area. We do it more in the warm months since wearing a coat complicates the procedure.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I run them down every few weeks to make sure Gracie hasn't added any and Rex hasn't lost any more weight. It's hard to keep weight on the old guy and Gracie will eat anything he leaves if I don't watch her. The receptionist always makes note of their weights in the computer.

Just like our household! The old guy Jeffie is difficult to keep weight on, and Sid will scarf down what he leaves if I'm not careful - and I can't afford to let Sid put on extra, being a tripod.

So when we do go to the vet for any reason, I usually ask them to weigh them to keep tabs on whether Sid is gaining or Jeffie is losing.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

They get weighed every time they visit the vet anyway, and with a house full of seniors, we're there fairly frequently anyway.

Back when I had Sutra, I'd take him in to check his weight to make sure he was gaining. He was ill when I got him and underweight.

Trust me, the vets don't mind one bit :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our local feeder supply has a scale so whenever I take Gigi with me to pick up food I usually put her on the scale to check it out. She hovers between 60-63 lbs.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I do. Especially when I have a dog that is a bit timid in the vet's office. We go and the staff all pet and kiss, they get a treat and get weighed. Then we come home. Good visit! And the next time, that dog isn't so scared to go to the vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I encourage our clinic's grey owners to bring them by just to weigh them. That way I get to see and love on other greys more often! :hehe

But yes, we have one client in particular who brings by her grey every few weeks to check his weight. No biggie - we just make a note of his weight in our records for her. I've also run my kids by when I've been worried about their weights for one reason or another.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

If your local PetSmart has a Banfield, there's usually a scale in the lobby area of the vet's and you can weigh your dog(s) there. In most stores, you can reach the scale even when the vet's office is closed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I wouldn't even blink at a two pound change. I can virtually guarantee you if you put your dog on the scale five times in a row, you would not end up with five identical weights. I am guessing most veterinary scales are not particularly accurate, or calibrated very frequently.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck