This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm very happy with how he's doing under the circumstances. each day he becomes a little more like himself: he's leaning/flinging all his weight into peoples knees at the dog park for attention, he wags his tail and whines/barks when im coming in the door after work, he sits and begs for treats with the same, smoldering food lust as before, and he almost -- almost -- decided to take a quick run while rocko was flying around in circles at the dog park. in the end, he wasn't ready for that, but just the fact that he's considering it bodes well. he's also much better at walking on the leash. the dog park we go to is right around the corner, about 200 yards from my front door. its the size of a normal single family house/yard, except without the house. once he's off the leash there, he does a speedy tripod hobble/gallop to his favorite places to poop, then trots around the perimeter searching for flowers and shoots of grass to eat through the chain link fence.

it's very important to me that he be able to derive pleasure and enjoyment out of his days, whether he has weeks, months, or years left. watching him waffling in slow motion for the past three weeks has been extremely trying, because i wasnt really able to see any signs that he was deriving anything more than exhaustion and pain from his daily life. but now that that is turning around so quickly, there is real cause for optimism -- or whatever passes for optimism, guarded though it may be, after getting this diagnosis.

i'll try to post some photos of him tomorrow.you almost cant see his scar anymore.

Edited by jaym1

Wonderful update...glad he is improving so much in such a short time. I would love to see pics too

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Tempo sounds like he is doing just fine. So glad you are now seeing how well he can do. I am sure he will continue to amaze you and will bring a smile to your face every time he does.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

8644549603_811bd6626f_c.jpg

Intrepidly staring off into the distance

8644551685_da64a172ff_c.jpg

New peeing stance

8644548451_cbf24b5c38_c.jpg

Eating some of the onion grass from the gardens next door.

8644550453_3157841113_c.jpg

Waiting for their first turkey necks in a while (his WBC count is fine, and he's still on antibiotics, so I figured this would be OK)

8594303625_87e08eefd4_c.jpg

All not too bad, considering he looked like this exactly two weeks ago.

Edited by jaym1

He looks terrific...thanks for sharing. He really healed fast considering how major his surgery was. :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Tempo is looking great! Love his sit pic.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest IrskasMom

Woww , I thought Tempo was more red but now I see , he looks exactly like my Morty. My Morty's muzzle is lighter. . Tempo looks greyt :beatheart Turkeynecks ...yummmm

Thank you for shareing some Pictures of Tempo

Morty Germany007.jpg

Edited by IrskasMom

Love the yawning pic! He appears to be moving right along in his recovery, and looks great.

I think he has a fan club. :beatheart

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

As of today, I really have to start gathering more information about the benefits of low carb diets for dogs with cancer. I'm waiting on a call back form the oncologist about that, as the info I find online seems like mostly conjecture.

On a side note, I love watching my dog sleep upside down while I'm at work.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rustytempo

As of today, I really have to start gathering more information about the benefits of low carb diets for dogs with cancer. I'm waiting on a call back form the oncologist about that, as the info I find online seems like mostly conjecture.

On a side note, I love watching my dog sleep upside down while I'm at work.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rustytempo

We asked our vet and Dr. Coutu at OSU and both stated there was no factual data to show a low card diet is better for dogs with cancer. However saying that, we still went that route with our Charlie and he loved his food.

My vet said the same thing. It's a bit of a balancing act. During the first 6 to 8 months that I had Tempo (which wasn't all that long ago -- I got him in Nov. '11) he had tons of digestive problems, and was very, very thin. I tried every food imaginable, including the protein rich ones. I finally settled on Iams green bag, and he has been stable ever since. So the question is, do I risk messing with his food now for the possible benefits of a low carb diet, or do I just stay with where we're at now? The other factor is that, since his digestion has stabilized on Iams, he seems able to tolerate other foods much more easily. His oncologist didn't really have a strong recommendation either way, but said she would lean toward keeping him with his current food.

It's also tough because I understand, from a logical standpoint, that this diagnosis is all but a death sentence. But until I get evidence that it's aggressively spreading, I can't help but take the emotionally risky stance that my dog will be one of these very few miracle dogs who lives happily for years, even though I know that, in a way, I'm setting myself up for shattering disappointment.

Edited by jaym1

tempo seems to have his up days and his down days. but it seems like his down days are a lot more frequent. he has become very, very passive, and very, very tired. aside from a day or two last week, he just doesn't have the spark in his eyes, and doesnt resemble the dog i had come to know. he staying in his bed pretty much all day and all night. he doesnt bat an eye when i walk out the door anymore. i am really worried that this is because of his cancer draining his energy, and not a prolonged recovery from the amputation. in other words, i'm worried that amputation and chemo have so far not started him toward remission. i've tried to stay as positive as i can about the whole thing, but im feeling pretty negative about it right now, i have to say.

His white count might be dipping. Takes some pups two weeks to really feel the "low point" and his body is working hard to make more.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest OPointyDog

I wonder if a physical therapist could help with the soreness or energy level? Our girl had a bad leg for 6 months due to a broken leg and botched surgery - took a long time to rebuild muscle mass and regain balance and stop having muscle spasms after the problems were corrected surgically. She saw a physical therapist who treated her and also taught us massage and stretches and exercises - made a big difference and also helped us bond to her.