This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

His white count might be dipping. Takes some pups two weeks to really feel the "low point" and his body is working hard to make more.

interesting. his WBC was almost normal a week after his first chemo. but he has another precautionary blood test this friday, so maybe that will reveal something. this whole thing is like a non-stop emotional roller coaster. even when im not thinking about it, im probably thinking about it. which makes it all really exhausting.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about WBC. This will affect his energy level. One thing to note is that a front limb amputee will have a harder time than a rear leg so his energy levels may just be down a bit. The critical thing to remember is that he is not in pain which is very good. Perhaps he needs some supplements to help give him a boost? We had Charlie on a number of them.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

A low white count won't make the dog feel bad in and of itself -- it's not like the red count, where you need the cells to carry oxygen. The dog would only feel/act differently if he had an infection that he couldn't fight off because of that low white count.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FawnFan

Jay - I'm sorry to hear Tempo is having more down days than up. And I'm also sorry you're riding the emotional roller coaster. Hang in there. I know you're doing all you can and Tempo knows this too. I hope he is back to 100% soon. Keeping you both in my thoughts.

-Jean

I am feeling much sympathy for dog-owning residents of Watertown, stuck behind double-bolted doors with dogs that need to pee. I'm guessing Jaym1 is home with his boys today.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

yep, we stayed inside yesterday morning for as long as possible, but eventually i had to bring them outside. unfortunately i also had to cancel his vet appointment for his second post-chemo evaluation. hoping i can reschedule for monday.

I hadn't checked this thread in a while and Tempo looks fantastic! He is so blessed to have such a wonderful loving home!

If Tempo is tired that often is a side effect of the chemo. Speaking from experience sometimes things look worse for a while but then get better.

Continuing to keep you and Tempo in my prayers.

june

With my angel Onyx, he would get chemo and then wouldn't eat and had no energy for a few days and then by the time that treatment effect was wearing off ... his next chemo appointment came around and that would put him back into the same state. With each chemo treatment it seemed that it was harder for him to bounce back. But, he did bounce back after the treatments were finished. How many chemo treatments has he had and how many more does he have to go through.

he's only had one. with the carboplatin its one treatment every three weeks. we'll be going with 4 to 6 treatment depending on how he's doing once we get further along.

today and yesterday have been great days. he had his energy back, and was close to his old vivacious self. he was swooping around in wild circles every time i got near the door, and we played (easy) fetch three out of the four times we went to the park. he even chased another dog yesterday.

right now he's laying next to me on the couch with his snout on my lap.

today was a great day. he had lots of energy, has been excited to get outside all four times we've left the house, and has been endlessly playing fetch once there. he even chased some dogs around and got to obnoxiously bark right in their faces when they were cornered -- his favorite thing to do. it has also been pleasantly cool with extremely low humidity. i think that might be helping.

video that proves he still has good snout-eye coordination.

8669042667_1e74cbf315_c.jpg

miraculously, he can still dig, albeit a lot slower. this is a great relief.

8669044171_f67364d938_c.jpg

playing in the sun

Edited by jaym1

What a sweet, happy guy!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

wonderful update :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

today was an even better day. i'm wondering if his sudden improvement might not correlate to the end of his course of anti-biotics? he had been on clavimox for a UTI after finishing his post-surgery antibiotics, and the timing seems to match up. but it could just be a coincidence.

about ten days ago, i started trying to see if he'd be interested in playing with his favorite rubber bull, which he had been inseparable from before surgery. i thought it might be a way to help him return to a feeling of normality. relative quickly, he's gone from begrudgingly catching the ball when i lightly toss it to him, to trotting after it if i throw it high up in the air so it bounces right in front of him, to not wanting to leave the house without it, and pulling on the end of the leash when we do; all the way to today, when he ran after it for the first time. i kicked it just so he'd go trot after it, thinking it would be good exercise. but i was shocked to see him bolt after it, then come back for more.

Guest Marsroving

This thread had made me cry, laugh, and everything in between. Thanks so much for sharing your story here Tempo (Jay too)! It just amazes me the resilience and ability to bounce back we all have. I look forward to checking this thread everyday, and have since the beginning.

second chemo today. tempo is a little tired again and, though he ate all his food, he was a lot slower about it. he was at the vet for the treatment from 9:30 til 10:30. because of this, i got home about an hour later than i normally would have. unfortunately, tempo pooped (voluminously, though also solidly, at least) on the antique rug by the front door, and appears to have peed on another rug. this is extremely unusual behavior for him, so i am assuming his system is just being over-taxed by the chemo, and he just couldnt wait that extra time. duly noted for the future.

I'm not sure if this is still right but, one of the chemo drug treatments which happened to be the one my Onyx got had to flushed with enormous amounts of fluids - I had been warned that my dog would have to go outside quite frequently for most of the day ... maybe you might want to check with the oncologist whether this might be happening.