Blackheads

Truman has a bunch of blackheads on his belly and groin area. Right now, he has five large ones. I'm sure they don't bother him, but they look kind of nasty. The skin there is really thin, and he doesn't tolerate me squeezing them. I've read that you can use acne meds for humans... but there are so many kinds. What active ingredient should I be looking for? Has anyone had luck removing these kinds of blackheads with an extraction tool?

Also, does anyone know what causes these? I never noticed them before, but he's now 18 months. A doggie teenager! So could it be similar to humans, like an increased amount of hormones? I'm wondering if he'll always have these blackheads, or if they'll just subside when he gets older. My five-year-old, Henry, doesn't have any.

Edited by a_daerr

My last foster had them really really bad over his entire belly. So gross.... I used witch hazel on his belly 2x's per day and they started to clear up in about a week. I like the idea of that versus putting the harsh acne meds on that thin skin!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I also used witch hazel on Summer's. They're back again, although not as bad as the first time. So I'll be starting the witch-hazel-and-picking again. Lucky for me, unlike Truman, Summer will roach in the back yard in the sun (which gives me PERFECT bright light to be able to see!) and I can pick away to my heart's content.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

LOL if he won't let you pick at them and they aren't bothering him I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'm ocd and it would drive me nuts though so I would probably witch hazel the area. Or warm washcloth and pick gently

------

Jessica

Slayer has a patch. I suspect it's because of the shredded newsprint they use in the kennels at the track.

See #9

http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Library/2010-greyhound-medical-packet.pdf

I figured it was a track thing, too. BUT Summer has been at home for almost 3 years now -- and those blackheads are definitely not the original ones that she came with, LOL. So something else must be causing them.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KPS915

Lila had some when we first got her. I used a hot washcloth compress and wiped the area with witch hazel a few times a day. It seemed to clear them up.

:unkn Do not use Biore strips. Just saying. We now use witch hazel here.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

sounds like warm compress and witch hazel are your best bet. but i can bet you...oh, one of felix's old collars...that they are from kicking up dirt when he's running. wash it well, keep it clean and when he runs make sure the groin gets cleaned as well. obviously he's not a licker, often dogs will lick the dirt and clean themself, often they are just not inclined. so, when you brush him down after a dirty run, or not such a dirty run make sure you clean his groin as well. that stuff accumulates everywhere. also, when he his hosed down hose really well under and in there.

Guest WhiteWave

Ronon has them. If they are bothering me (never bother him), I will pick them and rub them with acne pads that have salicylic acid in them. Usually will clear them up. I have had several Greyhounds get them some more than others. I usually find it in the ones with bald butts and belly/groin area. Hairy ones don't tend to get them as much.

Franny has them too. Do you think tea tree would work?

Edited by Rustyroo

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Those are nipples :) .

For blackheads, you can just lay a warm (not hot!) damp washcloth on for 30 seconds or so, then wipe gently but firmly with witch hazel, chlorhexidine or nolvasan solution, or your favorite mild soap. Rinse with water, pat dry.

Some get blackheads in home life too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I didn't even know male dogs HAD nipples! -- can you tell I've always done girl dogs?

Can't tell you how often I hear that in our clinic! I had a gentleman literally argue with me-his male dog does not have nipples. I finally broke down and asked him to look down inside his shirt and tell me what he saw---his wife high fived me!!!

To the op-yes, those are nipples :-)

sounds like warm compress and witch hazel are your best bet. but i can bet you...oh, one of felix's old collars...that they are from kicking up dirt when he's running. wash it well, keep it clean and when he runs make sure the groin gets cleaned as well. obviously he's not a licker, often dogs will lick the dirt and clean themself, often they are just not inclined. so, when you brush him down after a dirty run, or not such a dirty run make sure you clean his groin as well. that stuff accumulates everywhere. also, when he his hosed down hose really well under and in there.

I think I get one of Felix's collars! :lol