Thundershirt

Josie

I got one because Teague gets very anxious/excited in the car. To be honest I don't think it helps at all but I probably haven't given it a fair chance either. The training place said a lot of people have had success with them.

As with any training aid though, you can't just expect to put it on and have instant success (well not usually). If you only put it on when the dog is scared, it will be associated with that. If you put it on when the dog is relaxed, and pet, massage, feed or whatever, they will begin to associate the feeling of it on them with relaxation. :)

We have one, but have never used it on any of our Greys.

We got it for our thunderphobic GSD...and it worked very well for her.

We did use it on a friend's Grey a couple of years ago and have loaned it out to another one...both had good results.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What size did you get?

I have a large one.... I put it on Otis to see and it fits ok but he seems not confortable to lay on his bed with it... I know it's soppose to be ''hugging'' him... maybe he needs to get used it?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I got one because Teague gets very anxious/excited in the car. To be honest I don't think it helps at all but I probably haven't given it a fair chance either. The training place said a lot of people have had success with them.

As with any training aid though, you can't just expect to put it on and have instant success (well not usually). If you only put it on when the dog is scared, it will be associated with that. If you put it on when the dog is relaxed, and pet, massage, feed or whatever, they will begin to associate the feeling of it on them with relaxation. :)

Exactly! If the owner will follow the simple guidelines/conditioning/training tips provided with the TS, the results "should" be fairly positive. The concept is simply to mimic swaddling, similar to what "they" do with newborns, I guess. :dunno I have no kids so I have no clue what people do with them. Or why??? :lol :lol

The TS does not work miracles nor do they work instantly. The owner cannot wait until the middle of a driving thunderstorm, whip out the TS and expect to have an instantly happy dog. We spent time with both Disco and Deuce conditioning them to "happy" things, for us we used treats, when they donned the TS. And only Disco and Deuce got the treats, not the other two "normal" dogs. And we gave them a treat both when the TS was placed on and taken off. Our two learned "good" things come with the TS. :lol :lol

And as I stated above, do not expect miracles either. The TS helped both our two cope better with an average thunderstorm. Disco will sleep through a storm now, instead of hiding behind Danger and panting through the entire storm. Actually, it is funny that when we put the TS on Disco, he practically falls over on the spot and sleeps, right there. We have to step over him. We actually lead him over to a one of the dog beds now before we put the TS on him. He is so funny!! Deuce will still jump onto the "safety" of the sofa, but she does not pant and quiver uncontrollably anymore.

We are more than satisfied with the success of the TS. I think I could write a commercial with our happiness. :lol :lol But we did have to work at it and we did not expect a "magic coat" to make our dogs "normal." Normal just does not happen in our house. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest MnMDogs

Greggy loves loves loves his thunder shirt! He comes running out when he hears us open the Velcro when we get ready to put it on, then he stands there soooo patiently when we wrap him up.

I just got one for Toley for his SA - had him a little over 2 weeks, and he does NOT like us to leave. The 2 days with the Thundershirt on were the 1st 2 days we have had no poo or pee in the house, and he is sleeping in the bedroom when we get home. Now he may just be getting used to our schedule. I also give him Rescue Remedy, and some herbal calming cookies I got at Petsmart. But it sure seems the TS is helping with the SA.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

thanks for your posts!

I guess Otis needs to get used to wear the TS.. yeaterday he did not want to lay down with it on..

could it be too small? or too tight? It's a large.. supose to fit a chest up to 40inch...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Both Disco and Deuce wear large. It is real tight on Disco, but he is fine with it. Remember, it is "supposed" to swaddle the dog.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Both Disco and Deuce wear large. It is real tight on Disco, but he is fine with it. Remember, it is "supposed" to swaddle the dog.

;)

I'll continue trying it and after a few weeks if it does not make any difference I can return it ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

;)

I'll continue trying it and after a few weeks if it does not make any difference I can return it ;)

We actually bought the first one in March because Lori had them on sale. So, of course being in south Florida, by the time the summer rainstorms started the 30 day return thing had expired. But after seeing the comfort that Deuce got from wearing it during a storm, I promptly ordered one for Disco. :) Keep at it and hopefully you will be pleased with the results. Remember, no miracles, just moderate comfort levels. :)

Can you put your hand into the coat when it's secured on Otis? I make sure it's snug but not so tight that it makes it hard to move. I also don't tighten the front strap too much because it's very restricting and I don't think it makes any difference to the swaddle effect. :)

Uber wears his every day. I guess, we were lucky because it worked for him from day 1. Best thing since sliced bread... IMHO. :D He's 100% calmer in all of his anxiety producing situations when he's wearing it... even falling asleep during thunderstorms (believe it or not, we had one yesterday!).

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

thanks Jiffer

I'll untight the front one a little.. maybe he felt too much restricted in his mind.. like the first 30secondes I put his long booties on and he thinks it's a leg cast and walks funny LOLL

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Yup, it helps Summer. Best if I get it on BEFORE the first scary noise, though.

Ditto. It works for our thunder phobe Bonny, but its essential that we put it on before the storm actually hits.

ETA... I think Bonny's is an XL. She is BIG greyhound though - even bigger than many grey boys.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)