Aleeya Just Collapsed-- What To Do Next?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi,

We've been told by 2 people to give her some baby aspirin and see how she is in the morning.

Background:

She's almost 13, and aside from peeing in the house in the morning, great health.

Sometimes, she's fussy with her food.

After several weeks of eating well, she didn't want much of her dinner tonight. - 6pm.

Around 10pm or so, she puked just over the side of her bed. We cleaned it up, and were like, ok, well, that's probably why she didn't eat more-- not feeling well.

10:30pm, time to walk the dogs. She wouldn't get up. When she did, she almost fell down-- but she does have a bad back leg and was standing on tile.

I got her winter coat on her, and she turned around, and flopped down on her beds.

Not carefully placed, just walked over, and flopped.

She was panting when she was standing, but now is resting comfortably-- we did get the coat off her.

My 2 greyhound people (thank you Shirley and Tina!) who I called, totally panicked-- said it could be her heart, and to give her some baby aspirin, and stay near her.

It could be the "small one before the big one" or maybe a stroke or maybe nothing.

But, there's not much a vet could do, and she's 13, and so waiting till tomorrow after aspirin is what they'd recommend. DH is out getting it now.

I stopped crying finally, enough to post here.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking-- advice? Is this it? I didn't expect this... I thought it would be a thing at the vet's office with a disease or condition.

now I'm crying again...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Soren

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did she puke bile, food, blood, etc? Is she hydrated?

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest cwholsin

Is there a reason why you aren't taking her to an emergency vet? Collapsing, possibly heart related says to me-- e-vet NOW, call and let them know you're on your way.

Edited to add: prayers are going out for your sweet senior!

Edited by cwholsin

Guest Downtownhoundz

Oh gosh, I know how acared you must be. Do you have an e-vet that you can take her to or even just call?

Keep us posted, she will be in my prayers!

NO ASPIRIN. If you give aspirin, her vet can't give other NSAIDS if she needs them.

I agree with the others. E-vet.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest sorenkkg

I can call the e-vet. I did give her the baby aspirin b/c my 2 most trusted advisors said to.

She puked up her food-- more of a regurgitation.. She hadn't eaten much, but that happens every few weeks with her. She's not a puker though.

I'm sure the vet will say to come in, but maybe we shouldn't move her? I'm so confused.

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest cwholsin

If it is heart related, you want a vet on hand to monitor her vitals and revive her if necessary. Pick her up and carry her to the car if you need to. If moving her is going to make her worse, you've got a serious problem that would blow up at home anyway if you don't take her in. By all means call your e-vet and see what they say and what to check for, but I'd definitely take her in if that's what they think. Better safe than dealing with an emergency on your own at home. I really hope it's nothing serious.

Call the vet - make it clear that she has trouble with that leg anyway and describe whether she truly collapsed or just couldn't support herself on the tile floor and a bad leg. Better to make a trip in than be sorry later on that you didn't.

Sending good thoughts for Aleeya.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest sorenkkg

Ok-- just called the e-vet. I said it's not a seizure, and so she said that if she's resting comfortably, let her be, and see my regular vet in the morning.

So, I'll sleep on the couch near her, and I guess that we'll see our vet in the a.m.?

Guest sorenkkg

I don't know how? I do on a person...

she's breathing a bit faster than normal, but not much. I don't know how to do the pulse. She's not panting, her mouth is normal (i.e. not panting). DH noticed that every few breaths, she pulls her stomach in.

?

eta; ok, I tried just putting my hand over her chest, and I'm getting a lub-dub about every second, I think.

?

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest cwholsin

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-check-your-dogs-pulse.html

First thing I found! Their big arteries are just in a different spot than human's for pulse measurement... And for greyhound baselines... A thread on GT said 60-90 is average for a greyhound at rest. If her pulse is normal, her gums are nice and pink, and temp is normal (another quick search says 101-102 is normal) than just keep her comfy, if not call the vet back!

Guest sorenkkg

3am - she sort of stirred a while ago, and i got her some water. Just now, she stood up, with effort and some panting, turned around, and lay back down.

Stopped panting.

I think that's good, yes?

I agree with your friends-aspirin may be preventing a major stroke, however, with the regurge and the panting I'm not sure that's what's going on here. Please keep us posted after your vet visit (I'm sure they will run bloodwork but, don't forget to check her urine too-specially checking for proteinuria). Fingers crossed for you.

Hope all goes well at the vet today. It could be one of many things unfortunately. I would have also checked her gums and taken her temp as well so for a baseline.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest sorenkkg

Hi-- ok, will be seeing someone at our regular vet at 10:15 (it's 7:42am now). She got up again at 4:45am to turn around, so I figured we were out of the woods a bit.

7am, DH and I walked her and Haka. She walked very very slowly, but she did pee and poop outside, and we came back right away.

She then drank a bunch of water, but wouldn't eat her breakfast cookie (which might not mean much-- if her tummy is upset, she've very self-regulating and won't eat till she feels better).

I'm wondering-- maybe she got a piece of rock salt in her paw or something yesterday, licked it, and got sick from it?

Guess I'll know a bit more later in the morning...

thanks everyone!

Soren

Just sending hugs and scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's all very scary. I'd be worried about kidney issues in addition to possible orthopedic trouble. Though there could be many other things happening. Have you checked her gums to see if those are normal color?

FWIW, I would not give aspirin to a dog with diminished appetite, especially with GI issues apparent such as omitting or diarrhea, or when there is possible liver problems. Aspirin is just too hard on dogs' systems. There are other times when it isn't that I won't ever use it.

Hope things are better soon.

Just cheking in for an update and sending some :hope

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi,

Ok, we were at the vet.

Physical exam-- didn't show much of anything. Vet thinks no to neuro. Slightly elevated heart rate (could be nervous), slightly elevated temperature (b/c she's obviously not feeling *well* ).

Gum color is fine.

She did the toe-bend-under thing... wouldn't put up with it in the front, and did stand for a second on the bent toes in the back. More on the "ok" leg than the "bad" leg, weirdly.

BUT, then she did it again, and she unbent them faster.

Inconclusive.

They took blood, and did some xrays of her lower spine and hips and legs... I waited. They also gave her hydromorphone-- I did explain that last time Haka got that, he lost his mind and was not himself for 4 days. She said though that if the painkiller helped (and didn't want to give nsaids) that could help us figure it out.

Xrays showed the bones of a much younger dog :) and no evidence of anything that would be causing her pain.

So-- we put a rush on the bloodwork, should get that back today.

Also-- she is staying at the vet, and doing a few hours of IV, b/c she has a rather dry mouth and maybe this is all dehydration? It can't hurt... I live almost across the street, so if they have issues, they'll call and I'll be there asap. I"m working from home and have nothing on my calendar.

thanks all-- I'll post more news as I have it.

S.