Coughing And Hacking

The last 5 days or so, Maggie has been coughing. She's also been eating quite a bit of grass and I attributed the cough/hack to the grass. Not much vomiting and really only grass comes up.(sorry so graphic) She's never been a great breakfast eater - only drinks "the gravy". But dinner is eaten without issue. Poop is good and regular. Yesterday she was literally glued to my side - more than usual. I got up late this morning and DH said she was whining and "crying" on her bed. And coughing. When I got up and came downstairs, she's again glued to me and coughing. Time for the vet? I only hesitate because her only real symptom is coughing.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I'm not a "jump and run to the vet" type person, but a cough that has lasted for 5 days would be something I would want checked out.

Hopefully you can get her in and that it is something very minor :). Good luck.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Yes to the vet: kennel cough, canine influenza, or something totally different. But meds probably are in order.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Recently Jack had a cough, I did not like the sound of it and brought him to the vet. He was put on antibiotics and kept away from other dogs so as not to spread. My other dog did not get it and he was much better after a few days on the meds. Vet also gave him a cough medicine which he only got at night. Good luck

Linda, Keeva and Jack

Ruby has had a cough for a few days too and a decreased appetite. She has not been eating grass though but has been licking her lips like crazy. I was worried her tummy was upset so put her on a rice and boiled chicken diet and Pepcid. Can they get kennel cough if they have had the vaccine ? I scheduled her yearly vet check for next week but may need to move it up.

Will be watching your updates and hoping all is well for Maggie.

Karen

Does she have a fever? Poor Maggie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My fav vets weren't working today. And no one to run an x-ray. The dr. I spoke to didn't feel as though I needed to take her to e-vet. Appointment for tomorrow. Of course, since i made the appointment, Maggie has not coughed at all. Isn't that always the way. I'll update after the appointment. Thank you all for the advise and good thoughts.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

sending many prayers! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

If Maggie starts coughing again tonight, see if you can video it to show the vet. Dogs cough different ways--head up, head down, deep in their chests, tickles in the throat--so a video may be very helpful, especially if Maggie isn't willing to demo her cough for the vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest WhiteWave

Hope she feels better.

Lots of dogs in my area have been getting sick lately. Jack got a cough that wouldn't go away and I ended up taking him in and they put him on steroids and antibiotics. A dog I gave a coworker a few years ago also got really sick. Started with a cough, then progressed to snotty nose. He has to be put on 4 different meds to clear it up and then relapsed 2 weeks after finishing them and had to go on different meds again. And now 2 different friends dogs got some kind of gastrointestinal issue and none of these dogs are near each other unless the humans are spreading it! But we have minimal if any physical contact with each other.