Dustin Choked

mychip1

Just saw a simiilar post a few dayss ago....Dustin just choked on a biscuit. Pawed at his face and gums until paws and gums were bleeding. Whole piece finally came out....he is panting a litttle but seems otherwose fine. Has had a little water. Any advice on what to watch for?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just watch for any respiratory distress or problems swallowing. If he avoids eating or drinking he may have a problems that requires Vet attention. Glad to hear that he sounds like he's ok.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

OMG - how scary. Glad that he sounds okay now.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Thanks....he is sleeping well....hopefully he will eat ok this morning.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Good thoughts for Dustin. Hope he is able to eat this morning.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

He ate some of the dry food, albeit very slowly, but seems fine with the wet and his chicken. Thankfully, that means (I hope) that he didn't stress himself enough to trigger a belly flare up. However, I do think he has a sore throat given how hesitant he was to eat the dry. I always put a little water in it; I think for a few days, I'll let it sit and soften in that water.

A few weeks ago, Cash got a whole, small milkbone caught cross-wise between her back upper molars. She did the same thing - pawed at her face and rubbed it on the bed, even made choking sounds. I stuck my hands in her mouth because I thought it was in her throat, and found it stuck in her teeth. It took a pretty good tug to pull it out, but she was OK after. Even at the bone. It's so scary though!

Definitely let the kibble soften for a bit if his throat is sore.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Glad he's ok!!! Hopefully his throat will feel better quickly. Letting the food soak will definitely help.

geesh, what is up with our hounds and treat issues all of a sudden??? :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I just started looking for a reference on how to do the Heimlich Maneuver on a dog and found this:

SPCA Instructions

Stay with it to the end - serious subject but I thought the end was funny.

Here is a another set of short, and fairly clear instructions:

Heimlich Maneuver

There is quite a bit of material online, including one source that says if you do this be sure to take your dog to a vet even if the item is dislodged, because the maneuver can itself cause internal damage.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Thanks! I will check out these links!

Yikes.

Hope he is okay tonight.

A friends dog got a stick lodged in the roof her mouth, sideways, between her top teeth.

They had to sedate her to get it out.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Wow, Nancy!!! That's frightening!

Guest snoopycomehome

:( I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you! Every time something happens to one of our greys, I feel horrible...like they are my own kids!

Hope Dustin is feeling better...and that your heart rate has slowed down too! Scarey moments for our wonderful hounds are as hard on us as them...

:( I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you! Every time something happens to one of our greys, I feel horrible...like they are my own kids!

Let's just say, I need to take some of his pepcid this week!

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

This is a greyt holiday safety reminder for all of us that we should always be present when our dogs are eating or chewing on bones.

It is pretty scary when it happens.

I once had an afghan hound get a small ham bone get caught between two teeth and he was just frantic. It took two of us and a pair of pliers to grab the bone and pry it out of the teeth - scared to death I was going to get bit as the dog was definately in the survival mode but we got it out fairly quickly and dog was fine. I also have had chewbones and bully sticks get stuck in greyhounds teeth as well but they came out with our helpful fingers. All the hopunds would have damaged themselves without our help and our opposable thumbs!

Oh Robin, I'm so relieved Dustin is okay!

One of our hounds choked on one piece of wet (but not yet softened) dog kibble. (Scared us to pieces!) I tried Heimlich on him at home first, but was unsuccessful. After X-rays were taken at the e-vet, it finally softened enough to pass down his throat. $200.00 later, vet's recommendation was to feed him a smaller size kibble and let it soften a bit more before feeding. Now, we often wet his dry treats first too.

Extra hugs to Dustin. I hope he continued to improve.

Edited by 3greytjoys

Thanks.....Dustin has continued to be OK....and I have given smaller and smaller pieces of dog biscuit to him.

I do wet his kibble (and have for a while....). It seems to slow them down a bit.