Sorry Gross Topic, Male Dog

Sorry for the gross topic. This is about Puzzle, my IG. He has something going on w/ his penis. I noticed that he smelled bad a couple days ago, and thought he somehow rolled in something so I gave him a bath. Then yesterday I realized it was coming from his penis :puke It smells REALLY bad. So I flushed it out w/ chlorhexidine solution and sprayed vetericyn spray on it. There was a lot of chalky tan stuff in there. :sick And his actual penis is very pale, is that normal? I thought it was supposed to be reddish, but none of my dogs ever "expose" themselves so I don't know how it usually looks.

This morning it had even more pussy stuff in there. Does this need vet? He had this same thing about 3 years ago and they told me if it happened again to just flush it out. But I'm really not so great w/ gross stuff. I actually fully fainted at the vet watching them flush it out last time, to the point where they almost called an ambulance :lol I've never lived that one down :lol So this time I'm trying to be brave and avoid unnecessary vet bills... but how long until I see improvements? Does it sound like he needs antibiotics?

If you made it this far, thank you! Any help much appreciated :blush

You can flush him everyday, but, if he has an infection, which is probably why it smells, he will need an antibiotic. We have the same issue with Fuzzy, but I have to say, honestly, it has never had an odor. The chalky stuff is what we also flush out. With Fuzzy, it has reached the point where he has passed blood and, therefore, needed an antibiotic. Now we flush him at least once a week, as an preventive method. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'd say it's an infection and only meds would be able to help. If the boys were ever licking a lot, I would actually "soak" the tip in a little bit of epsom salt water, however it sounds like your boy is a little more foregone for epsom salts to help. I also spray some CS on them, but again, I think you need meds. It should never stink like that. I bet it burns when he pees too. :(

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He doesn't necessarily need antibiotics but he does need a very thorough flushing, and may need it again over the next few days. If you feel you can be thorough, doing it yourself is fine. If not, I'd see if you can get one of the vet techs to do it -- shouldn't need to see the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He doesn't necessarily need antibiotics but he does need a very thorough flushing, and may need it again over the next few days. If you feel you can be thorough, doing it yourself is fine. If not, I'd see if you can get one of the vet techs to do it -- shouldn't need to see the vet.

This is what I thought, b/c I remember last time they said he didn't need meds. I tried to be thorough but I doubt I did a good job. He really smells bad today. I will call & see if someone can do it Thurs when I take Legs for his heart test.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by RileysLegacy

Guest borzoix4

It sounds like to me he has a sheath infection. While you can flush it out, I would suggest you have the vet take a look- not only to clean it out, but also to give a broad spectrum or bacterial antibiotic for him.

He's MUCH better today :yay I cleaned it out again this morning & it looked normal w/ pretty much no smell. I called my vet yesterday & they said I could give him some Baytril that I have on hand. Whew, so relieved. That was most unpleasant :lol I will be more diligent about checking it & flushing it every once in awhile.

Sage gets smegma in there and it dries and gets crusty, almost rock-like :blink: The last time they flushed him the doctor couldn't believe he hadn't been crying out in pain! It's just something that happens. Skimmie has never had an issue and Sage has it all the time :dunno

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 3 weeks later...

My poor guy, I woke up to spots of blood in the sheets. He has a vet appt tomorrow. He isn't acting like he's in pain, but it can't feel good to be bleeding from your penis. I have been flushing it out, and there's no smell or anything, but I guess I haven't been doing a good enough job. I hope that's all he needs from the vet. He CAN'T have anything seriously wrong. :( :( :(

Aw, poor guy. Sending lots of healthy happy penis thoughts. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Boo! Hope it's easily handled! :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks guys! He's my special little guy... he comes with me everywhere.

To add a little cuteness to a gross topic... On Sunday I snuck him into a restaurant. shhh. It was a last minute decision to go out to eat, so I wasn't well prepared, but he is SO good I was pretty sure it would be no problem. This backpack was a bit small to hide him in, but it ended up being perfect Puzzle camouflage! :lol:wub: I had his head all the way in with just the tip of his nose out for air, but it was such a relaxed place that I let him stick his whole head out once we were at the table. Believe it or not when we got back to the car he wanted to stay in the bag, he liked it!

Anyway thanks for the good thoughts. He HAS to be fine. I'll update tomorrow. :beatheart

17d16f32585211e2843f22000a9e0722_7-1.jpg

Just have to say again how adorable Puzzle is, and I hope everything turns out fine for him.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm sure you are his best friend now. ;):lol :lol

:bighug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We had to do the same thing with Dylan and Donner over the years. It happens. :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I've never had a male dog, but one of the horses that I ride - well, while he'll let other people clean his sheath, he'll, um, let it all hang out for me :lol I get lots of jokes about him liking me.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20