Mischevious When We Are Gone

Guest clbuttone

Guest clbuttone

Ok, so I have had my male dog, Roby (5 years), for 2 years, and recently got a female, Kura (3 years), a year ago. Roby is an angel. Kura....the devil reincarnated when we are gone. She is fine if we clean off the tables and such. We will put up a baby gate to block off the kitchen, and close off all doors, etc. She still manages to find the one thing we leave out, or will break into the kitchen. When we leave a pen on the table at night, she will get at that and chew it to pieces.

However, today was the cherry on top. She broke into the kitchen and ate/broke into 2 boxes of mac n cheeses, box of yellow rice, a 1/3 of an onion, two small packets of instant mashed potatoes, and two pouches of fruit stuff. She has done this before, and if for some reason we leave something out she will destroy that. I don't know how to make her stop.

We have a routine in place before we leave (complete with a walk, a set script we say, and a kong stuffed with pb) and she is fine for most days. However, when she does get into stuff, I don't know how to reprimand her. How can I teach her not to do these things? Is it something I am doing? WHYYYYYYY?!?!

We also have a yard in which she runs around at LEAST once a day. I am at my wits end and don't know how to end this cycle of destruction.

Thanks in advance!

-Roby and Kura's stressed Mama!

You can't -- and shouldn't -- reprimand her. SHE'S not the one who left stuff out where she could get it.

:lol :lol :lol

True, tho. Your best bet is to wear her out before you leave -- long walk, game of fetch or lure pole in your fenced back yard, etc. -- and teach the humans to put stuff away.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There is no reprimanding a dog after the fact. They won't know why or what you are talking about. Only a stern NO or LEAVE IT at the time of the occurence will work. Sounds like she needs to be crated when you are gone.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest clbuttone

Well a crate would be great.....if she didn't destroy the crate. And I mean to the point of injuring herself, breaking her teeth, and breaking the kennel beyond the point of repair because she doesn't want to be crated. I wish I could crate her, but it would do her more harm than good.

I don't have that problem because I am lucky enough to be able to leave dogs outside while I am at work, I have good sized yard with plenty of shelter from the elements if necessary. Summer is on its way here so on warm days I put the wading pool out with a couple of inches of water in it and Bobby stands in that to cool down, hopefully when the real hot weather gets here he will lay down in it. I imagine to a dog it must be pretty boring (even for a couch potato) to be locked inside all day, Bobby positions himself by the gate so he can see what is going on in the street a lot of the time. The only naughty thing he does outside is dig holes from time to time, I reckon you either have a dog or a nice garden though so not a huge problem.

Guest Jacks_Human

Although he's generally a very well-behaved boy, Jack would break into the kitchen if he could. When I'm gone, I close the door using a loop of rope that connects to an adjacent door handle (I live in a small flat).

Our trainer always tells us that you have all of 5 seconds to correct and redirect behavior after it happens. Can you double gate the kitchen or is there another area of the house you can gate off where they can't get into trouble?

"I tried to be good, but then I got bored." :lol

That sums it up! :flip

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Muzzle. I have a puppy (just turned a year old) who comes up with the most creative ways to get into things. He is exercised daily, goes to the dog park 2-3 times per week and runs until he falls over. He has a million toys, chewies, bones, etc. But he loves getting in trouble. I muzzle when I'm not at home (for his safety and my piece of mind).

Guest karilynn

I agree with putting your food and things away. I had a few incidents when my boy got into stuff while I was gone and it was stuff that I had left lying around. Can't really blame him when he's at home and bored and things are lying around waiting to be eaten or chewed. I am not very organized or clean, but I've had to completely change that with my dog and when I don't leave anything out or lying around, he's an angel, but of course!

I see dog parent houses that don't have anything within dog reach... that looks SO great! However, I have a small house with lots of stuff... so while valuables are kept up out of reach, I simply don't have enough vertical space to keep books, toilet paper, keys, etc away. And now that Boo is comfortable he will steal anything within reach.

When DH and I are both gone, he is crated. When we are home but unable to watch him (in the basement, sleeping, whatever), he is muzzled. Seems to take care of a lot of issues.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

• 3 weeks later...
Guest badderh

My pup has been doing this lately as well. It scared the heck out of me though when I thought I was going to have to take him to the vet for eating a plastic cup and half a frisbee. Thankfully he ended up being fine and no crazy vet bill was in order. But I muzzle him now, last thing I think any pet owner wants is a vet bill because they forgot to take care of silly things like a cup! lol and frisbees are now a thing of the past for him.

Move your food. Secure it. I've been there - done that. OR - Wait until you have a dog eat a 5 lb. bag of sugar and have big-D ALL OVER the house - and come home to that. Been there - done that - replaced multiple rooms of destoryed flooring for thousands of dollars, and dealt with a VERY SICK dog. I was VERY lucky that surgery wasn't required. I was VERY lucky the dog didn't die.

I also had an un-crateable, and un-muzzleable dog

Move your food. Put it ALL in upper cabinets. Get everything edible totally out of reach.

And then - if your dog learns to open microwaves, oven doors, and bounce stuff off the top of 6 foot cabinets - PM me - I know how to deal with that too.

If you have a food-manic your only choice is to adapt yourself.