Have You Heard Of Or Used A "predator Call"?

While reading the post "What To Expect When Adopting A Retired Racer", (also in the Training & Behaviour section), I came across a video slide-show, posted by another member as a part of their response. It features the work of photographer Rachel Hogue, whose work is featured on Flickr, about the racing life of a greyhound. On one of the stills, she mentions that as soon as a dog begins training, his trainer uses a "squawker", or "predator call", which is a gadget used to recall the dogs. Apparently, the sound from this device is so ingrained that the new family can also benefit from its use. It can be found for purchase on "Greythounds Of Eastern Michigan", and I have posted a link for those of you who may be curious, here:

http://www.gemgreyhounds.net/store-2/?wpsc=lc&wpsccat=18

Of course, being forewarned is being forearmed, and expecting the unexpected is probably the best measure where safety's concerned, but I'm wondering if this little device really does work; or does it depend on how high a dog's prey drive is? For the peace of mind of the inexperienced or guardians nervous that their grey could suddenly bolt or escape from the backyard gate, what do you think of a "predator call" to have on hand, just in case?

Personally, I would like to purchase one, but am wondering if any members have a story to tell where one of these devices has proved invaluable? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I have a squawker by my front door, by my back door and in my car. All my dogs are squawker trained--the girls by their foster moms and my boy has been trained by me. Actually, the girls trained him. When they hear it they come arunnin', and he followed. I practice with it every couple of weeks. They get an extra special treat when they come to the squawker. I hope that no one ever gets loose, but if one does, I believe the squawker will help bring him/her to someone who is looking. And squawking.

Luna also reacts to a squawker. The only time I've ever had to use it was one time when she took off and caught a rabbit. When she heard the squawker, she actually dropped the rabbit and came back to me, so I'd say it works quite well. Like oldrunners, I keep them by the entrances to my house as well as one in my car.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

I have a squawker by my front door, by my back door and in my car. All my dogs are squawker trained--the girls by their foster moms and my boy has been trained by me. Actually, the girls trained him. When they hear it they come arunnin', and he followed. I practice with it every couple of weeks. They get an extra special treat when they come to the squawker. I hope that no one ever gets loose, but if one does, I believe the squawker will help bring him/her to someone who is looking. And squawking.

Really good information and thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I also have one in my house, SUV and in the bag I take when I walk. It's actually on the recommended list for our adopters.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest Wasserbuffel

I have a little squirrel call, Jayne responds to it well:

When the leader shakes the call at playgroup, Jayne is always front and center, leaping for it.

I have them and hope I never need to use them. I don't think it's a good idea to use them in "play". You may need them in an emregency and you don't want them to get desensitized.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Thanks everyone! :bow As always, no matter the question, I can always trust the GT community for a candid and genuine answer. Looks like we'll be getting a squawker or 2 or 3. Makes me feel a little more at ease to know there's a tool available to help keep our greys safe. Very cool!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I have the smaller, pocket-sized squirrel call at the back door and I also take it to playgroup. I have the big predator call, too, and we use it when we are exercising Summer on her own, with a lure.

We are having a playgroup gathering tomorrow morning which is close enough for you to attend. It is being held at the baseball diamond in Queensville at 10:00 a.m., for about an hour. The diamond is basically at Leslie and Queensville Sideroad, northeast corner but just a wee bit east of Leslie on Queensville Sideroad. You are more than welcome to come and immerse yourself in greyhounds (it's not going to be a huge group, just about 8-10 hounds) and I can show you both devices and what a homemade lure pole looks like.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Works on some dogs, others couldn't care less. Some of the best racers I've fostered or owned had the least interest in squakers. Might be because they are so many years removed from from a coyote hide with a squaker underneath.

I've had much more interest in a squaker noise on the internet than in actual use in catching a lost dog, but it never hurts to have one. You can get them at any place that sells hunting supplies, but GEM is a great group. I'm sure Rachel will chime in soon.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mirthlesstroll

I had a foster scoot out the door between my husband's legs. I grabbed the squawker out of my car, and honked it - my foster came bolting back to me, DH in his business suit almost having a heart attack behind him. It wasn't funny then, but boy is it funny now!

I agree with keeping squawkers available for emergencies only, not for play. Retired racing Greyhounds were extremely highly trained with squawkers during schooling/racing. Most pet owners aren't able to keep rewards HIGH enough without desensitizing some Greyhounds over time.

We keep several squawkers in house and car (different sizes) for emergency use only for escaped hounds. We take both small/large sizes when traveling. Long retired Greyhounds remember that sound. I dropped one in garage while packing for a trip, awakening a pack of hounds suddenly ready to break through a closed door.

In lieu of using a squawker for more casual recalls, we use a whistle to practice recalls inside house/fenced enclosures. Whistles are smaller, easily worn around human's neck, and sound carries well. Food treats coupled with positive verbal rewards are important throughout life for dogs who respond to coming when called. :)

I have the smaller, pocket-sized squirrel call at the back door and I also take it to playgroup. I have the big predator call, too, and we use it when we are exercising Summer on her own, with a lure.

We are having a playgroup gathering tomorrow morning which is close enough for you to attend. It is being held at the baseball diamond in Queensville at 10:00 a.m., for about an hour. The diamond is basically at Leslie and Queensville Sideroad, northeast corner but just a wee bit east of Leslie on Queensville Sideroad. You are more than welcome to come and immerse yourself in greyhounds (it's not going to be a huge group, just about 8-10 hounds) and I can show you both devices and what a homemade lure pole looks like.

You will probably think I'm a bit (or maybe even a lot) cuckoo when I tell you that we don't actually have a grey ~~ well, at least not just yet, as we have a sweet little 20 yo cat and don't plan to adopt our ex-racer until she crosses the rainbow bridge. This year we have actually gone to an annual picnic to familiarize ourselves with the community and to get "up close and personal" with these beautiful and graceful animals. I love attending events hosted by the various groups, even though I sometimes feel a little out of place with no dog in tow, lol. Everyone is more than gracious and it is from fellow adopters that we've gleaned so much knowledge. Some time in the near future, I would love to attend one of your playgroups when we finally get our heart dog; Thank you so much for the invitation. We will be very active and enthusiastic members in this special community and look forward to meeting you one day soon!

My Etsy Shop

It doesn't matter if you have a dog or not, you are still more than welcome to come and just enjoy the experience! If you come, just wait at the gate and say you're looking for me (Lisa) -- I'm the only one with red hair, LOL! I've already packed the items into the van so that you can see them if you come. :)

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

It doesn't matter if you have a dog or not, you are still more than welcome to come and just enjoy the experience! If you come, just wait at the gate and say you're looking for me (Lisa) -- I'm the only one with red hair, LOL! I've already packed the items into the van so that you can see them if you come. :)

One of these days I hope to earn my PM privileges, Lisa. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to persevere and let it all hang out, lol. I'm a volunteer adoption co-ordinator for my local humane society, and on Saturday we are showcasing our kittens at various Pet Valu stores throughout Etobicoke. Could I take a raincheck to join you on another day ~~ I am guessing that your playgroup meets regularly?

The following Saturday (Oct. 20), GLOHW is hosting an event at a winery in Beamsville (see link below) that maybe you've heard about? Everyone is welcome (despite the "member in good standing" statement). We will be going to this as well, but would LOVE to see your playgroup show off their zoomies any other time. Hope to meet you soon, Lisa!

Cheers,

Debbie

http://www.glohw.com/upcoming-events/

My Etsy Shop

No problem! And in 10 posts, I believe, you'll have your PM ability! We'll meet up with you one day, I'm sure. Just so you know, our runs are normally considerably farther north (in either Gilford or Alcona). And weather permitting, we try to do it every weekend.

I'm familiar with GLOHW but not with this winery event. I'm heading out to a fundraiser dinner for a different greyhound group (GRA) that day and in the opposite direction (north of Kitchener). Otherwise, I would have considered coming -- I attend almost anything I can find out about, LOL. DH "might" be willing to drive that much for wine :cheers , but I'm not holding my breath. We just got back the other week from Beach Bound Hounds in Myrtle Beach. Now THAT was fun!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

I wanted to get one, but I've played videos of the noise when Boo is around to see how he would react... and he really couldn't care less. One ear goes up, he listens, then back to sleep it is. Maybe it would be different in real life, who knows.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

He said yes!

Really? That's Great! I will look for your red hair Lisa, and of course, your beautiful Summer. We'll probably be the only people there WITHOUT a dog! :violin

My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...

Deboosh, I'm so sorry but I was unable to make the GLOHW event. And I couldn't tell you beforehand, either. I ended up in the hospital on Friday morning (extremely low hemoglobin/iron deficiency) so I didn't have much choice. I couldn't make it to either the GLOHW event on Saturday or to our adoption group's annual Spaghetti Dinner on Sunday. I'm out now and feeling fine but I regret not being able to meet you. Another time!

Lisa B.