Does Your Greyhound Stare At You?

Guest gurehaundo

Guest gurehaundo

All of my hounds will watch me get up and move about the house. Some will even follow me. Only one of them actually stares at me - all up in my face or across the room - and his name is Ace. My son (who is sixteen) was scared half to death by Ace one night. Davon opened his door to his room to go do something and Ace was just standing there, staring at him. It kind of freaked my son out! He said it was as if Ace knew he was going to leave his room. There was no rush, on Ace's part, to get to Davon's door. Ace was just there. Ace does not move fast at all. He's still being treated for Valley Fever and arthritis, and is eating well.

So... I think that either Ace thinks that my son and I are the most beautiful humans he has ever seen and just can't stand to look away, or something else is going on.

Check it out! I even have proof. All of the following pictures were taken at various times over the past few months, and with my cell phone (sorry!).

This one was taken yesterday. I was watching a movie and texting my husband while he was on his lunch break. I looked to my left and BOO! I watched Ace for a bit. He kept blinking as if he were falling asleep. He was swaying a little bit, too.

photo-8_zps599ad2a4.jpg

All up in my grill...

photo-6_zps34051a89.jpg

photo-5_zps3070b4d1.jpg

photo-3_zps5865b6fd.jpg

photo-2_zps77f263d6.jpg

photo-1_zps1c7f8ab3.jpg

In the bathroom... Before you say anything, I was just straightening my hair. I'm sure I was texting someone intermittently which is why the phone was handy. Honest.

photo-4_zps83b9513b.jpg

This one was taken last month while we were visiting Cannon Beach, OR.

photo-7_zps6e66af2d.jpg

Behavior-wise, Ace acts like his normal self. Well, he did start nibbling my hands and forearms for some odd reason. I just figured they were love bites. He's very gentle. He also does the face rub all over me whenever I talk to him and tell him he's a good boy.

sadie does this. and, as an added bonus, she stalks me if i look at her funny.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest Liz_in_PA

There is an alien race scoping out the possibilities of taking over the Earth. They are hiding in the bodies of greyhounds like Ace and Bonnie. No one knows.

Or, Ace, like Bonnie, is dumber than a bag of hammers. But really cute.

Now I have the song lyrics in my head...."I always feel like somebody's watching me."

My girl likes to have her eyes on me too. With my first greyhound, I thought it was odd how much he liked making eye contact, since many dogs seem to view it as a power thing. Both Phantom and now Luna have loved locking eyes to get a chin scritch or a cookie or to make sure that I am not about to go on some sort of awesome adventure.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest SoulsMom

Not to that extent, but ZoeDQ will lay on her bed and just STARE at me. She doesn't do it to Bailey, just me. Almost every single night I say to my husband "She's doing it again"

Raven does this. I think it makes her feel more secure when she can see me. My confident hounds have not needed to have me in sight at all times... just an occasional check-in to see what I'm up to and make sure I'm still there. But Raven follows me from room to room and watches every move I make. She is timid and submissive, and it seems to be more of a needy thing than actual stalking. I call her my co-dependent hound.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest gurehaundo

Whew! I'm just glad he's not thinking of going all Cujo on me. Ace is the sweetest boy. Of our six dogs, he's the only one who chose us. The rest of them didn't get a say. Ace is kind of ninja-like in that you think you saw him over there, but SHAZAM there he is right behind you. He wasn't always like this. It's just becoming more frequent. I feel as if he's predicting the end of the world is near and is just trying to hold onto his love for me while we're both still here. Well, my son, too.

I'm used to my dogs watching me all the time because five of them are sighthounds, but still... None of the other dogs do this "stand and stare" thing. Hmm... Maybe Ace is trying to tell me that there really are zombies lurking in the crawl space under the house. Great. I'm just freaking myself out.

Now I have the song lyrics in my head...."I always feel like somebody's watching me.".

This is Eli's theme song! He sneaks up behind me silently and when I turn around - there he is! It's really rather creepy. Every time I'm doing anything, I can feel his eyes on me and I start singing that :lol

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Yup - that's how Doolin got adopted :P He just sat there staring at me for my entire 8 hour shift after he came in from Pensacola. I couldn't resist.

Both Doolin and Minerva (his littermate) thrive on eye contact, they are always looking up at my eyes and staring at me. Mira avoids eye contact unless you have food :P

Edited by zombrie

I probably have a million pictures of Rocky in this position, staring at me:

stare_zps6340f084.jpg

I miss him.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest FordRacingRon

First to the OP,,you pup love you to be sure.

Leia stares at us all the time,,more me then my DW. I just thought that is what gazehounds did,,,,,stare at things.

Sherri does this to me and to DH. We call it "the look of love". :beatheart Oh, I can't visit the bathroom alone either. Sherri follows me in and my cat Marley is waiting for me at the sink for

a drink of running water :hehe

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest gurehaundo

Oh yeah, mine stare at people, but not like Ace does. The other dogs are usually keeping an eye on me from the comfort of a bed. Ace prefers to stand. Why can't he just lay down and keep an eye on me? What's with the standing?

Rocky was super cute. He obviously loved you tons! I'm glad others have similar Greys 'cuz mine was starting to weird me out.

Yah, Annie B. stares at me. She'll lay on her bed and I look at her, and she's watching me, her dark brown eyes not moving, unless I move. To be honest, though, this usually means she's hungry for supper, has to go to potty, wants a treat or thinks it's time to go upstairs to bed. Whatever the reason, until I address it she will stare and stare and stare.

Guest goofydog

Get Em sees dead people :flip

Just kidding! He will follow me with his eyes and if I change rooms he will follow. It's funny when I think he's sleeping and get up to do something his eye will pop open and follow my movements. When he's really done for the night he will put his sighted eye on the down side or under a pillow/blanket/dog bed!

Edited by goofydog

My girl, Princess, has always had very intense eye contact. She can talk with her eyes.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My parents' vet (years ago) had a big white Greyhound as their office dog. He did this.

All of the sudden, he would just appear. Stealthily. Staring. Unnerving at first, but calming in no time.

His name was Ghost.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).